Atmosphere

Waffle

18 hours ago, LazloW said:

There’s altogether too much ‘stuff’ before the game.  They are trying too hard to manufacture an atmosphere and it doesn’t work.

I don’t mind SBW because it is now a bit of tradition - but I think they moved it earlier because it wasn’t bombastic enough for the players (? I might be wrong in that ?).... the poetry, overly loud music, atrocious announcer (it’s in your DNA yoof ?), flags, fireworks (already gone) etc  need to go to allow a more organic and spontaneous growth in pre-match noise to be created. Nobody is going to try to start a chant before the game when you can’t hear yourself think (you can’t even have a chat with your neighbour).  

Somebody made a really good point in another thread a while ago about the choice of chants... We need to go back to some of the old faithfuls which you can keep going over a period of time (super Derby for example).  The trouble with ‘since i was young’ (as an example) is that not only is it terrible, it also has a clear end.  You get one rendition and it stops.  

The South Stand (or whoever) need to get a prolonged period of singing one song over and over and over, not stopping until the whole stand and whole ground have picked it up.  

If I could I'd give you half a like as I agree apart from the poetry and Since I was young both of which I like and think work well. As others have said, SBW (and to an extent the poem) are played too early. The, what seems like random, music played between these two items and the players coming out cause them to be disconnected from building up any kind of atmosphere in my opinion. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If I could I'd give you half a like as I agree apart from the poetry and Since I was young both of which I like and think work well. As others have said, SBW (and to an extent the poem) are played too early. The, what seems like random, music played between these two items and the players coming out cause them to be disconnected from building up any kind of atmosphere in my opinion. 

That music is awful in my opinion as it is unrecognisable to about 80 % of the crowd. Now I know that's because we're all fuddy duddies and not hipsters like the players but I have yet to go to an away match this season where I didn't recognise the music played as the home team emerges.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

That music is awful in my opinion as it is unrecognisable to about 80 % of the crowd. Now I know that's because we're all fuddy duddies and not hipsters like the players but I have yet to go to an away match this season where I didn't recognise the music played as the home team emerges.

Fuddy duddy need to start swotting up on the new grooves and chuck your Spandau Ballet 33s in the bin.

20 hours ago, Norman said:

Ok, so there was no atmosphere in the concourse at Norwich until me, that Tyler who does vlogs and the lad with no shirt and his mates got it going. 

Some other fans looking at us nervously like we're deranged.

As it happens, we were all sat within 10 seats of each other in the stand.

There was your atmosphere. 10 ducking loud voices that wouldn't stop. 50 or so supporting each chant. And probably the same coming from the other side.

Too many betas in the crowd.

Too many who don't want to sing to get it going. Only join in when it is loud enough your voice gets lost in it.

Waste of time talking about it improving. The kind of fan you need doesn't exist in big enough numbers. And the numbers you need aren't even that big. 

It will never improve.

Too easy to make noise at 3-4.

But at home? Forget it.

This 100%

People are too analytical as if a sky camera is on them. Others are too cool to risk embarrassing themselves with starting a song. Most are waiting until it gets really loud before they join in.

It's just typical of people. Leave it to someone else. They'll sort it. 

Like when a buffet opens and most people want to go but wait until they can merge in.

I threw a wobbler once. I tried for about 20 mins to get chants going around me and people were looking at me like I was off my head. After a while I had a little rant about people moaning about atmosphere but doing feck all about it and suddenly nobody was looking because they know it's true. Funnily enough people seem up for booing. 

Even Forest games. I can't wait, we'll let 'em have it, argh I hate Forest etc etc. Then when the game starts they sit on their hands waiting for a noise to join in with. Your big day and you're sat on your hands helping create an atmosphere you don't want to sit in. 

I mean look at the stick the South Stand gets. 

Guess what? It isn't their job to start chants. You do the fecker! 

Save the game analasys til after. Worry about the Man City score later (They won btw) and create the atmosphere you want. 

Fair enough if you're not arsed. But soooo many fans will leave a game with a decent atmosphere and have enjoyed it.

I thought south stand did ok today. They made a determined effort to make some noise. Obviously a goal after 90 seconds is a big help.

i had a look to see how empty the stands were prior to kick off. With 15 minutes to kick off all stands were 75% empty. So altho we might disagree about the timing of the south stand photo, i think the poster has proved their point. 

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I used to mine it, they never knew.

I didn't sing it either......but everyone else did and thats what matters. 

Let’s face it, the atmosphere in a lot of different parts of the ground just isn’t going to get going. 

A lot of the chants that get started have swearing in them and where I sit, there’s juveniles everywhere. I go with my son and I for one won’t sing a song with swearing in it whilst sat next to my son. 

I went to a Liverpool game earlier this season and their songs are mostly for families to join in and most of them do. 

Better, catchier songs need to be thought of and some where just clapping can be joined in because a lot of the stands will join in with that. 

I actually think the singing would be better all along the East Stand and not behind the goal. Why people thought behind one goal would be for the best I’ll never know. 

5 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I actually think the singing would be better all along the East Stand and not behind the goal. Why people thought behind one goal would be for the best I’ll never know. 

To be fair: The Kop, The Stretford End, The Holte End, Glwladys at Everton, The North Bank...

The biggest and loudest chant from today and I'm sure it happened at either the Forest or Brizzle game  was everyone joining in to sing Sweet Caroline pre match!!! 

Would Sheff Weds let us use that as an anthem do you think?

Is it used by anyone?

Everyone knows the words to Sweet Caroline don't they? It has also been proven beyond all doubt that its impossible to hear it without joining in!

?

5 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

The biggest and loudest chant from today and I'm sure it happened at either the Forest or Brizzle game  was everyone joining in to sing Sweet Caroline pre match!!! 

Would Sheff Weds let us use that as an anthem do you think?

Is it used by anyone?

Everyone knows the words to Sweet Caroline don't they? It has also been proven beyond all doubt that its impossible to hear it without joining in!

?

Check out @spike_osullivan’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/spike_osullivan/status/1079398380126769154?s=09

There's a few consistent things that happens to these threads, which hinders anything actually getting better: I am a better fan than everyone else because [insert ego boosting example of what I've done at a match recently, whilst comparing myself to other fans that I don't know]; the atmosphere at BBG was better (at times this was definitely true but I'm just going to say that people have selective memories); the music is too modern for the majority of the crowd (but we still expect the next generation to turn up and enjoy the day as well); it used to be a working class sport (despite it still being a sport for the working masses, does class really matter for atmosphere? I'd suggest not.)

Are these conditions ideal for people turning up and feeling like part of the same club, immediately ready to dive into improving the atmosphere? I'd probably say not. 

But what do I know. Probably naff all.

"I'll sing on my own, I'll sing on my own, I love Derby County and I'll sing on my own"................

I put the lack of atmosphere down to people and their lacking of most things in life, let's face it, if something goes wrong it's usually someone else's fault. We live in a world where the bear necessities of life come to so many far too easily (yes I'm watching jungle book) yes far too easily, nobody works for anything anymore, it's just delivered on a plate and then they sit there miserable as hell, with only one intent, and that's to take, take, take and definitely not to give out, to help others.

Put them in a hotel, on holiday, on a road, in a workplace, in a restaurant, in a pub, in a shop, on a bus, on a train, in a hospital etc, etc and watch them behave, so if you think they are actually going to a game of football to actually  support the football club they claim to support and sing and get behind them, then think again and again, and again.

The world went mad many years ago, just like football did, and let's face it, 100 lads and lasses singing their hearts out in a crowd of 3,000 away or 30,000 at home is about unfortunately the norm as the other 2,700 or 27,000 are far too busy wanting to self destruct with all the suffering they bring on themselves with the riches and wealth and greed of modern day life.

Happiness can never be bought or sold at any price.

I'm still singing and I'm ready to wash the dishes, kiss the kids and enjoy the fresh air because I'm alive and ready to enjoy another day.

Let's face it, in all walks of life, it's always a minority of good people always wanting to make a difference and battling against a majority of bad people who can't be @rsed to do anything until after the event when they magically know the answers to everything.

"We love you Derby, we do, oh Derby we love you"..........and "Stick your Audi's up yer@rse!"......

There was noticeably more noise around me in North Stand today plus we could hear the South Stand better, so I think people are making more effort.

Also good to hear the crowd urging the team on in the last 15 minutes (apart from all those leaving early - they must lead busy lives!)

How much singing is about supporting the team, and how much is about baiting the opposition fans?

Baiting opposition fans only really appeals to those with acne.

Archived