A question for Derby fans...

NorwichLad

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

I was just extremely surprised that according to a former Derby chief scout, Nigel Clough did not read these opposition reports at Derby so went into games completely blind. 

How did the chief scout know he wasn't reading the reports?

And if he wasn't reading them why did they keep on compiling them? 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

This is a question for Burton fans rather than Derby fans.

Not really as it specifically relates to the former Derby Chief Scout and comments he made about Nigel Clough ignoring his 18 page opposition reports whilst Derby County manager, and its interesting to see that he had a pretty poor win record across his tenure. 

The same scout played under Brian Clough and noted that he also ignored them, but could get away with it because he had the best side in the country. 

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How did the chief scout know he wasn't reading the reports?

And if he wasn't reading them why did they keep on compiling them? 

Presumably because that was his job and if he didn't do his job he would lose that job wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage and pay his kids. That's like asking a supermarket checkout girl why she bothers to scan your cornflakes. 

1 minute ago, NorwichLad said:

Not really as it specifically relates to the former Derby Chief Scout and comments he made about Nigel Clough ignoring his 18 page opposition reports whilst Derby County manager, and its interesting to see that he had a pretty poor win record across his tenure. 

Yeah but you'll struggle to find a Derby fan who gives a teeny tiny rats ass. 

Long time ago wont it?

4 hours ago, SilentRam said:

I doubt that many Derby fans ever wanted him back. And I hate generalising as I speak for myself and not an entire fanbase but during the Clough era, our marquee signings were Shaun Barker at 1 million pounds. His post game comments were always amateur and it was a few cup runs that helped him keep his job as long as he did.

Not surprised that he doesn't read the opposition reports. His arrogance and immaturity is why he is coaching at Burton and not at a higher level. 

Which cup riuns were they?

1 hour ago, philmycock said:

Didn't Kris Commons give him some stick for his coaching skills recently, there's a video interview somewhere but really, no-one here cares do they?, he's long gone

PS. Don't let @ronnieronaldesee this thread ?

I don't mind seeing threads like this at all. I never ducked or hid from a controversial thread on him. Just others who don't like it when I try to defend him back and usually with stats. I even quite  enjoyed Kris Common's comments on him.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

For what its worth.....i think nigel has spent his entire managerial career doing a reasonable impression of the old, grumpy, pished up, washed up, fan thumping, Brian of the latter days at Forest.

fortunately we had the young, idealistic, charismatic, visionary, Brian.......until it all went to his head.

Now that is a disgrace.

It's posts like that which end up with me getting warned or banned and just as I was beginning to forget how nasty you were.

8 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Apart from the ones who were advocating his return after you sacked Rowett, of which there were quite a few. 

Were there? I can only think of one. We didn’t Rowett either btw, he slithered off on his own. FWIW I’ve heard similar things to what you’ve said previously, in particular to the increase in professionalism amongst the coaching staff upon Steve mcclarens arrival, so what you’ve said doesn’t surprise me particularly.

23 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Apart from the ones who were advocating his return after you sacked Rowett, of which there were quite a few. 

Look matey, you're just on here for a bit of passive / aggressive gloating as your lot are taking a turn at the top. Let's be honest, that's the sum of it. You're not really that interested what folk think about Nigel as if you were, you'd be wittering on at Burton fans not us. As for the numerous Derby fans advocating a return for Nigel post Rowett, there was not a single one on here, literally not one, so that excuse holds less water than a shopping basket. Now then, you must have fields to tend to or summat more pressing to do with your time than bore us lot to death, so how about you Farke off and come back and have a proper gloat if your lot actually achieve anything this season. Ta.

There's a lot to do with a) context and b) coaching style.

Whilst a lot of derb y fans respect Nigel coughs time here, we've moved on. He did what was needed.

Would the win ratio be higher if he'd read the reports in detail? Maybe a bit, maybe not but I doubt it would've changed us from poor to midtable, or midtable to play offs in any of those seasons. Even if Nigel wasn't reading them, perhaps someone else was?

I maintained throughout a lot of his time here we could've changed managers loads.of times and not been much better off because of the purse string holders. He might not fuss over details the way some or probably most managers do, but he did have an eye for a player and got in a few decent bargains, like shackell the first time, Keogh, Bryson, Russell, Forsyth, brought through Hendrick and Hughes - there's pros and cons and he certainly has something about him as a manager, but far from everything.

39 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Presumably because that was his job and if he didn't do his job he would lose that job wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage and pay his kids. That's like asking a supermarket checkout girl why she bothers to scan your cornflakes. 

So Nigel Clough had him compiling reports that he didn't read? Sounds plausible. 

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Now that is a disgrace.

I apologise. It came out stronger than intended. But i very much disliked the cywka incident. 

And I didn't like the brian who was so bitter towards peter taylor.

but i did love early brian and late brian.

40 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I apologise. It came out stronger than intended. But i very much disliked the cywka incident. 

And I didn't like the brian who was so bitter towards peter taylor.

but i did love early brian and late brian.

Yeah, I thought he was out of line over that one - unfairly lumped losing 2 points on him for basically being fouled then the defence not doing its job and threw in a "or wherever he's from" - I quite lied Nigel, but i did think that one was out of order

Archived