A question for Derby fans...

NorwichLad

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Do we have an award for strangest thread on the forum? 

14 hours ago, 86 points said:

Glad it's not just me! Been thinking this for days. 

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Nothing will ever beat the thread about not letting schoolkids have a piss

Ah. Maybe not.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/11/2018 at 23:20, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah, I thought he was out of line over that one - unfairly lumped losing 2 points on him for basically being fouled then the defence not doing its job and threw in a "or wherever he's from" - I quite lied Nigel, but i did think that one was out of order

He's started it again - in his RD interview after the defeat just before the international break he was talking bout his players making mistakes which cost the game and said "that's why they are at Burton in League 1, and not in a higher division. Effectively he has said to his squad "You're not good enough". Very motivational, I'm sure, but whether he should say it or not doesn't matter, he shoudn't be saying it public, the sort of thing he did at Derby prior to his sacking.

49 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

He's started it again - in his RD interview after the defeat just before the international break he was talking bout his players making mistakes which cost the game and said "that's why they are at Burton in League 1, and not in a higher division. Effectively he has said to his squad "You're not good enough". Very motivational, I'm sure, but whether he should say it or not doesn't matter, he shoudn't be saying it public, the sort of thing he did at Derby prior to his sacking.

One of his biggest faults is his post match reactions. Gets too emotional.

Would be better sending garner out when things haven't gone well.

I like Clough but he is poor at handling the media at times.

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

It's only the public who give a poo about that.

Also don't put quote marks around something that wasn't a direct quote.

He's effectively said to his squad "you're not good enough"? Strange that.

https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/2211-form/

NIGEL Clough thinks his team are showing the kind of form that can earn a play-off place but knows that there’s a lot that can happen between now and May.

The Albion manager said: “We believe that from what we have seen over the last couple of months but it will depend on injuries and what happens in the January transfer window. There are a lot of ifs and buts but as we stand at the moment and what we have seen from the rest of the league, we are good enough to get into the play offs.

There is absolutely zero evidence that he's ever lost the dressing room as some of you keep trying to stress his negative interviews cause. It's genuinely amazing than none of you hear the interviews when he's praising the players to the hilt or when his ex players talk about having tears running down their faces when he left. Strange that.

After that game and that interview they played Coventry off the park and kept a clean sheet. Maybe he should have done the same again cos after praising him massively after that game Damien McCrory was poo again yesterday. Directly costing two goals and generally going missing. Therre's a fine line between confidence and complacency.

There is a fair bit of evidence of him building a cracking team spirit and a united squad who work for each other. It's talked about often enoigh. Blimey, even the messiah Steve McClaren mentioned it once or twice.

It doesn't do the harm or have the negative effect some of you FANS seem to think it has.

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

One of his biggest faults is his post match reactions. Gets too emotional.

Would be better sending garner out when things haven't gone well.

I like Clough but he is poor at handling the media at times.

Paul, you and I both know if he tried that he'd get lynched and accused of hiding. He sends Garner out when we've won three nil and/or played superbly well.

He can't duck an interview when they lose. In fact I think he tried that once after losing to Crawley and all hell broke loose.

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/1711-verdict/

NIGEL Clough hailed a "wonderful performance" that earned his side a 1-0 win over Coventry City.

A second half goal from a David Templeton free kick was enough to give Albion the points with the Brewers manager "thrilled" with the way his team played against one of the form teams of the league.

He said: "We are more than satisfied. We are thrilled  with the way we played and the victory. That's our best result of the season given all the circumstances, the quality of the opposition and how hard we had to work.

"It was a great game and a wonderful team performance today.

"Everyone did their jobs, especially the back four and the goalkeeper.

"They are very solid, organised and break on you very quickly and we knew that would be their major threat but we dealt with it very well, especially in the second half.

"We had to be patient as well as they are so well organised. It was a little bit frustrating at times but we had to wear them down.

"We weren't unhappy coming in 0-0 at half-time against such a good side but the way we started the second half set the tone for the last 45 minutes. We could have scored three times in that first five minutes and that put them on the back foot.

"The goal was a great free kick from David Templeton that takes a nick of somebody and goes in at the far post. If nobody touches it I think it's going in anyway but we deserved that bit of luck as there was a number of other situations where they got blocks in and it didn't fall for us.

"It was a very high standard League One game and I'm sure the fans will have enjoyed the football today."

On 24/11/2018 at 15:12, NorwichLad said:

Didn't realise Danny Dyer is a Derby fan.

What are you going to do if I don't "jog on", put all your Stone Island gear on and ring a top boy so he can 'front me up' while you stand behind him and pretend your well 'ard ?

He isn't, I just chose a reply that would get past the censors...

I notice you only ever seem to come on here when your lads are doing well.  Coincidence i guess...

Not read all the responses on here but I can speak with authority that NC paid no attention to the opposition whatsoever.  Nor did he have any tactical team talks. It was " you're a footballer, go and play football"

He's left the club now but I was mates with an ex player for around 3 years as our children shared a classroom.

In my opinion (informed) NCs a dinosaur. In others opinions he's clearly not.

I'll stick with my opinion tho.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Dram said:

Not read all the responses on here but I can speak with authority that NC paid no attention to the opposition whatsoever.  Nor did he have any tactical team talks. It was " you're a footballer, go and play football"

He's left the club now but I was mates with an ex player for around 3 years as our children shared a classroom.

Pigs tits for fingers is a quote I shall use in earnest from this day forth

8 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

Who was the player?

12 hours ago, Charlie Dram said:

... but I was mates with an ex player for around 3 years as our children shared a classroom...

Without wishing to sound disparaging, that sounds more like being brief acquaintances than "mates"?

Is there anything else that may give us a little more faith in your exposé?   Perhaps you drank together down the local?  Went for walks together?  Shared a bed?  Anything a bit more "matey" than occasionally bumping into each other at the school gates? 

Come back to us...

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Who was the player?

Not saying who it was. He's told me too many things over the years to 'out' him

7 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Without wishing to sound disparaging, that sounds more like being brief acquaintances than "mates"?

Is there anything else that may give us a little more faith in your exposé?   Perhaps you drank together down the local?  Went for walks together?  Shared a bed?  Anything a bit more "matey" than occasionally bumping into each other at the school gates? 

Come back to us...

As it happens I spent a quite a lot of time with him. Sorry about that. However, how well I knew him is irrelevant.

He told me exactly what I posted on here last night.

I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not,

22 minutes ago, Charlie Dram said:

Not saying who it was. He's told me too many things over the years to 'out' him

As it happens I spent a quite a lot of time with him. Sorry about that. However, how well I knew him is irrelevant.

He told me exactly what I posted on here last night.

I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not,

The bit that's irrelevant is whether I believe you or not.

How well you know/knew him is very relevant, when you first call him a mate, then go on to hint that the connection between you was the fact you had kids in the same class.

I guess I was trying to ascertain how well you knew him/how close you were to him/how likely it was that he would confide in you.  I thought that was fair.

I admire (and agree with) your reluctance to name him, which wouldn't be something I'd have asked you to do anyway... for obvious reasons.

Apologies if I offended you, but I still maintain  that by the way you described your "acquaintance", it didn't appear the sort to be sharing "juicy titbits".

UTR

On 25/11/2018 at 03:01, ronnieronalde said:

@NorwichLad 

For the record, you may not be aware that I have connections who have that inside knowledge and direct contact and I can tell you with 100% certainty that Clough does indeed read, pay attention to and plan around the opposition scouting reports he gets from his current "opposition scouting team"

Even if it is the slightest bit believable that you have a direct line to Nigel Clough's inner-circle at Burton Albion and actually picked up the phone to alert them to a thread on DCFCfans and to ask them whether Nigel reads opposition reports or not from Burton Albion scouts in 2018, and they confirmed in the affirmative without questioning your mental health, a story which I don't find the slightest bit convincing..... what would that anecdotal evidence change about David Hamilton's claim that he didn't read opposition reports at Derby in 2009? 

On 26/11/2018 at 08:26, ramsbottom said:

I notice you only ever seem to come on here when your lads are doing well.  Coincidence i guess...

That's a bit of a strange observation if you don't mind me saying, seeing as we've only lost once since August..... so what you are actually saying is that I didn't come on here between 7th October (day after we lost to Stoke) and 20th October (the next game we had, a win)? 

On 27 November 2018 at 23:38, philmycock said:

Pigs tits for fingers is a quote I shall use in earnest from this day forth

Had to laugh at ramma's post match analysis today, when he said that over the season "we'll have pigs and troughs".

16 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Even if it is the slightest bit believable that you have a direct line to Nigel Clough's inner-circle at Burton Albion and actually picked up the phone to alert them to a thread on DCFCfans and to ask them whether Nigel reads opposition reports or not from Burton Albion scouts in 2018, and they confirmed in the affirmative without questioning your mental health, a story which I don't find the slightest bit convincing..... what would that anecdotal evidence change about David Hamilton's claim that he didn't read opposition reports at Derby in 2009? 

Don’t underestimate Ronnie. 

13 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Even if it is the slightest bit believable that you have a direct line to Nigel Clough's inner-circle at Burton Albion and actually picked up the phone to alert them to a thread on DCFCfans and to ask them whether Nigel reads opposition reports or not from Burton Albion scouts in 2018, and they confirmed in the affirmative without questioning your mental health, a story which I don't find the slightest bit convincing..... what would that anecdotal evidence change about David Hamilton's claim that he didn't read scout reports at Derby in 2009? 

Everyone around here knows Ronnie’s connection to the Clough’s. 

Regarding the bold bit... Nigel probably didn’t trust Hamilton’s judgment. Hence, Nigel sacking him within a couple of months and bringing in his own scouting team. 

Archived