Haters gonna Hate

Comrade 86

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm with @jagerbob on this one.

Although there was none of the tippy tappy football at the back, and not much of the passing through the thirds, to suggest we were a route one team is just incorrect and a re-writing of history.

Huddlestone was one of our most important players last season, are you suggesting he was just hoofing the ball anywhere?

I think if you read the post you've quoted it's quite clear what I meant. If you don't agree then that's your prerogative. If you are suggesting that Huddz was seen in as effective a light last season as he has looked recently then I'd suggest it's your version of history that's revisionist and not mine. Having willing and able runners all around him has allowed Tom to more freely express himself this season, since you ask. If you feel otherwise I can't help you with that.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 86 points said:

Yeah, ok mate. I'll try to address your rant concisely. Firstly, you were clearly watching a different side to many if you recall us as being a fluid, counter-attacking team. Maybe route one is an unkind term, but just because we hoofed it down the channels does not mean we were more cultured than a team hoofing it directly into the box. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm struggling to recall many instances of where we played route one football.

Think you're just arguing for the sake of it now mate. And this after you lamented the OP. Seems like a distinct case of 'the lady doth protest too much' to me or is it rather that it's ok for you you to rehash certain subjects but not for others? We've reached a point now where we just seem to prattling on about syntax with zero regard for the original context. It's surprising that you want to engage anyway, given your reaction to the thread so maybe just letting it die would be the most logical course of action? Both sides to the debate are clearly defined (least where you and I are concerned) and there's obviously no common ground to be found. As you were at pains to point out, folk will not always share the same opinions and in this case, we don't.

25 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Think you're just arguing for the sake of it now mate. And this after you lamented the OP. Seems like a distinct case of 'the lady doth protest too much' to me or is it rather that it's ok for you you to rehash certain subjects but not for others? We've reached a point now where we just seem to prattling on about syntax with zero regard for the original context. It's surprising that you want to engage anyway, given your reaction to the thread so maybe just letting it die would be the most logical course of action? Both sides to the debate are clearly defined (least where you and I are concerned) and there's obviously no common ground to be found. As you were at pains to point out, folk will not always share the same opinions and in this case, we don't.

I thought my post said that I don't mind debating other people's points even if they are negative and do not agree with my own points.

In this instance I'm trying to ascertain when we played route one football under GR as I don't really recall it.

As I say, my recollection is although we played a lot of long balls, they usually went through Keogh or Huddlestone, who in my eyes are not 2 players who 'hoof the ball blindly' or whichever phrase you chose.

If you don't want to discuss that point fine but if, as it has been on other threads, used as a stick to beat GR with it will be questioned.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm with @jagerbob on this one.

Although there was none of the tippy tappy football at the back, and not much of the passing through the thirds, to suggest we were a route one team is just incorrect and a re-writing of history.

Huddlestone was one of our most important players last season, are you suggesting he was just hoofing the ball anywhere?

It's also the opposite of what he was saying last year.

35 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought my post said that I don't mind debating other people's points even if they are negative and do not agree with my own points.

In this instance I'm trying to ascertain when we played route one football under GR as I don't really recall it.

As I say, my recollection is although we played a lot of long balls, they usually went through Keogh or Huddlestone, who in my eyes are not 2 players who 'hoof the ball blindly' or whichever phrase you chose.

If you don't want to discuss that point fine but if, as it has been on other threads, used as a stick to beat GR with it will be questioned.

I agree that Rowetts' team didn't play route one (as per Wimbledon of old) but whatever you want to call it, it was sterile, ugly and boring.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

I agree that Rowetts' team didn't play route one (as per Wimbledon of old) but whatever you want to call it, it was sterile, ugly and boring.

Not easy on the eye but boring?

Fast counter attacking football, more 3-0 + wins than any other team in the league, very little of the tippy tappy football between centre halves that we had seen for much of the previous 3 years.

Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for I think. 

I remember NC trying to build a football team and regularly hearing how boring it was.

I remember Clement getting us to the top of the league and regularly hearing how boring it was.

I remember Mac getting us playing great football but hearing that we needed plan B.

Maybe people are just watching too much football of a better standard than ours on Sky and are just generally bored with Championship football? 

It won't be long before someone says something about FLs style of football and it becomes a buzz phrase that sticks. 

Each to their own, but I certainly found Rowett’s football turgid and boring.  I honestly couldn’t give a rat’s about the length of a pass, but what I want to see is high tempo, aggressive, positive football. I don’t think we got that under Rowett.  We are getting it under Lampard.  

I can’t guarantee that results will be better or that we won’t lose games we might have drawn or won under Rowett.  We might even end up finishing lower in the league, but whatever analysis anybody wants to make of the nature of GR’s football, the question is, is anybody really truthfully missing him or the way he got us playing (let us not forget, we did lose games under him too!)?  

I should point out that I did get into the odd argument defending Gary last season - though I never defended his football which is always something I criticised - but rather I didn’t want to see us chop and change again... I’ve also always said that I lived in hope of improvement.  What he is serving up at Stoke at the moment suggests that improvement might never have come.

Is it just a case of choosing too or not too enjoying yourself and choosing too or not too being upset when a fan, a poster on a forum  disrespects the football club you love. Through experience in life, which includes what we post on this forum and how we react and learn from the past on this forum, by not wasting time on those that would rather upset you than be kind to you or the football club you love especially knowing life is very short and precious. @coneheadjohn family are enjoying it and smiling......I'll take that too.

Sing Up........and enjoy yourselves.

primal scream

noun

noun: primal scream; plural noun: primal screams

a release of intense basic frustration, anger, and aggression, especially that rediscovered by means of primal therapy.

"the lyrics unleash a gigantic primal scream at the urban alienation and despair of our industrial world"

Lovers gonna Love..........

Hardly got to any matches last season but did do Brentford and reading away. The first was just an early season attempt to shithouse a 1-0 cos we were in poor form and the team hadn’t settled.

the second was a much more honed Rowett team. Not much longball, but the whole team looked like a set of table football players stuck in rows shuffling from side to side in strict formation.

then when we won the ball it would be typically played 30 or so yards down one of the wings. Was most odd, finished 3-3 but was not what you’d call exciting.

the fast technical stuff is easier to appreciate but seems to be no more guarantee of better results and when it goes wrong it really goes wrong.......

Fast counter attacking football, I’ve heard it all now. GRs football was turgid, horrible, negative, and boring. We attacked in limited numbers and often conceded possession for the majority of the game.

There is no buzz word, his football was awful, he set us back years bringing in players that run channels whilst directing our passing players to turn the defence so they could run onto it, route one football was more entertaining than his.

His saving grace at the time was the results, and yet when he had the opportunity by luck more than judgment to get us to Wembley, he just rolled over and gave the game to Fulham. Best thing that could ever have happened to the club was Stoke coming in for him.

Oh, and he got rid of Hughes by telling him he wasn’t cut out for his type of football, says it all really.

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Fast counter attacking football, I’ve heard it all now. GRs football was turgid, horrible, negative, and boring. We attacked in limited numbers and often conceded possession for the majority of the game.

There is no buzz word, his football was awful, he set us back years bringing in players that run channels whilst directing our passing players to turn the defence so they could run onto it, route one football was more entertaining than his.

His saving grace at the time was the results, and yet when he had the opportunity by luck more than judgment to get us to Wembley, he just rolled over and gave the game to Fulham. Best thing that could ever have happened to the club was Stoke coming in for him.

Oh, and he got rid of Hughes by telling him he wasn’t cut out for his type of football, says it all really.

And yet we scored 3 goals in a game more than any other team.

You don't reach the play offs in a 46 game season by luck. That's just being silly.

Agree on the point about Hughes though.

3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Is that the polite way of saying ‘a less crap’ Rowett team.

p.s I do understand what you mean

Compared to the early season game there looked to be a plan with ledley anchoring midfield alongside hudds I think and kasey palmer off nuge. 

It all went tits up again later in the season as a number of us were saying Gary had been found out and he started trying to change things.?

52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And yet we scored 3 goals in a game more than any other team.

You don't reach the play offs in a 46 game season by luck. That's just being silly.

Agree on the point about Hughes though.

Shhh ? @AdamRam mentioning the Fulham away semi leg to @G STAR RAM is like mentioning the war in Faulty Towers.

I 100% agree with you though pal we limped over the line to the playoffs and when we got there Rowett had no confidence what so ever in the squad. Scrapped a 1-0 at home (because Curtis stuck to Mitrovic like a leach) then in the away leg played the most negative card ever when he didn’t start the Golden boot winner and the one bit of flair we had in Palmer, which is unforgivable in my book. 

I’ll give Rowett that he somehow got the best out of Vydra at this time last year and Vyd’s contributed considerably to the times when we did scored 3 goals last season. Without Vyd’s (who Rowett didn’t buy) we would have finished below mid table.

Archived