Ridiculous Ticket price

BatRam

21 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

If you can afford one. If you can’t and can only afford 1/2 a season as a treat, £37 is too much.

Obviously this isn’t so much a problem with Derby more a problem in football in general 

Yes it's definitely too much for championship football, but that's the state of the game now. Clubs aren't concerned with supporters who might not have a large disposal income. When dcfc were in their prime, most folks could scrape enough to get into the baseball ground. The prices were fairer. If you had a few bob, you could afford a seat in the stand. The rest squeezed into the terraces....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, europia said:

Yes it's definitely too much for championship football, but that's the state of the game now. Clubs aren't concerned with supporters who might not have a large disposal income. When dcfc were in their prime, most folks could scrape enough to get into the baseball ground. The prices were fairer. If you had a few bob, you could afford a seat in the stand. The rest squeezed into the terraces....

Out of interest what do you believe is acceptable for a Championship match?

2 minutes ago, europia said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44850888&ved=2ahUKEwjSofjBhr7eAhVmyoUKHQjgA7kQFjAAegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3x3JN1sIoy0cMOLimKw6Pe

When you consider that half Premier League clubs could play in front of an empty stadium and still make a pre tax profit, it kind of puts the ridiculous ticket prices into perspective. 

In the premier League I agree. 

We aren't in it though, we could charge £60 a ticket and not break even.

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

'What about for Premier League matches? '

I was answering the above question posted by G STAR RAM 

So I obviously made reference to the PL

2 minutes ago, europia said:

'What about for Premier League matches? '

I was answering the above question posted by G STAR RAM 

So I obviously made reference to the PL

Your reply didn't quote his question about the Premier League prices, so the reference wasn't that obvious.

9 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Youre not taking into account the fact that most of the average gate are the 20k season ticket holders, who all pay a fixed rate.

This season we have averaged 4-5k individual match ticket home fans (away fans are irrelevant they just bring what they bring)

So reducing the average price by £7 (say from £32 to £25) costs  £31.5k (4500 x 7) but if we got just 2k extra fans paying  £25

that would bring in £50k

50k - 31.5k is 18.5k better off

Great post. However, lets include away fans though in the debate as I think it is fair to say away ticket prices can also impact on numbers to an extent - although you have a limited captive market at a certain value. Wednesday could charge £39 but fi they only have 2000 seats to sell, odds are enough Derby fans would have done it.

So - Birmingham game then. 8000 people paying £33 (I've upped it from £32 to try and give an average) against a ticket price of £25. So how many extra fans would we have needed to put on the gate to break even, (Forget other sales on the day such as programmes, food). Answer is:

8 x £8000 = £64,000

£64,000/25 = 2,560.

So if the ticket prices were £25, would we have sold an extra 2,500 tickets.

Previous attendance history in previous years suggests a Saturday afternoon, the answer is yes, Derby County believe the answer is no. Someone in the commercial team I think has obviously looked at the opposition and said - is the away team going to bring 3000 fans regardless of ticket price? If the answer is yes, they've probably gone for maximum price and sacrificed Derby fans in doing so.

I just think ethically and morally its the wrong thing to do now. I definitely think 1000-1500 extra fans would have come to the game. At some point, the extra support you have to say will give you an additional points return by the motivation it gives the players. You just cannot tally this up or put a financial figure on it really.

I'll finish though and just hope/wish someone from DCFC reads this forum and threads like this and decides that as the season goes on and we continue to stay in our lofty position, getting more and more fans to games is a hugely important thing to do. So reducing ticket prices will obviously have an effect (I'd argue only the Forest game isn't price sensitive although that didn't sell out last year). No Derby ST hold will complain at a £25 ticket price when your season ticket works out around £19 (Cat C) per game.

Over to you DCFC.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why make the North Stand cheap? How is that fair on East/West Stand? Why not just put South Stand back up to normal price?

The end result is the same I e north stand will be cheapest. If it starts at the beginning of next season then anyone who wants to relocate can do, thus fair on everyone. 

6 hours ago, rammieib said:

I definitely think 1000-1500 extra fans would have come to the game. At some point, the extra support you have to say will give you an additional points return by the motivation it gives the players.

Not if those extra fans are the ones that boo when you are not winning 3-0 after 10 minutes or like Saturday, losing 1-0 after 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

A mate has paid £84 for two tickets against Villa. I told him if he had mentioned it I could have saved him £44 by using the season ticket friend thingy.

he told me to duck off ?‍♂️

Tell him/her to return the tickets and then buy again.

23 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Youre not taking into account the fact that most of the average gate are the 20k season ticket holders, who all pay a fixed rate.

This season we have averaged 4-5k individual match ticket home fans (away fans are irrelevant they just bring what they bring)

So reducing the average price by £7 (say from £32 to £25) costs  £31.5k (4500 x 7) but if we got just 2k extra fans paying  £25

that would bring in £50k

50k - 31.5k is 18.5k better off

You have to include ST holders because the club pledge is that ST prices will ALWAYS be cheaper than walk-ups and they did some fancy breakdown to prove that. If they break that covenant there will be a huge drop in ST purchases. 

I would love to see some figures to show how a discount affects numbers through the gate. I suspect it is psychological. That's why shops price to £xx.99. My personal price breaks are usually around £10 marks. Shoes £50 I'll go for £52 no. Show £40 yes  £41 no. Infantile maybe but that's the way I am. Stick to my perception of value.

For that reason I don't think a few quid would do much, you need to hit the mental price points £10 for kids, £20 for most games, £30 for specials. AND we have a 360 degree good view stadium, why have such disparities in stand prices anyway

Right, quick bump on this thread.

I've seen it said by many that we should be lowering ticket prices as it's better to play in front of a full stadium than a third empty stadium.

So Saturday a £20 ticket offer was on which maybe attracted the big crowd and I am wondering what tangible benefits this brought? 

This is not an attack on the fans by the way, just a genuine question on why people think it is better to have more people inside the ground? Does it have a positive or negative effect on things?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Right, quick bump on this thread.

I've seen it said by many that we should be lowering ticket prices as it's better to play in front of a full stadium than a third empty stadium.

So Saturday a £20 ticket offer was on which maybe attracted the big crowd and I am wondering what tangible benefits this brought? 

This is not an attack on the fans by the way, just a genuine question on why people think it is better to have more people inside the ground? Does it have a positive or negative effect on things?

That's the age old "Chicken & Egg" situation, as in "Which came first, the swing or the roundabout"! 

The answer is... "It depends on how well things are going on the pitch"!   

On 05/11/2018 at 19:12, G STAR RAM said:

Why make the North Stand cheap? How is that fair on East/West Stand? Why not just put South Stand back up to normal price?

Lots of answers, and not just about ticket prices.

There is space in the North Stand every game and it's the family stand, so it makes sense to giving special deals to families. Youngsters are the ones who drive a lot of spend in the ground - food, drink, programme, club shop. 

And at the same time you're attracting the next generation of supporter.

Mel's U12 season ticket policy has been brilliant, As a result he now has one extra paying teenage fan and as of next season, two, that he would never had had had he not introduced cheap ST for U12. 

Technically they were free...  it was the junior membership wotsit that was cheap (£30)!

Sincere congratulations, however, on getting not one, but two young 'un's interested.

To my utter shame and embarrassment, after 5 seasons, I have failed miserably trying to get my grandson hooked (or even mildly interested would have sufficed!).  He's 13 next week, and had his last freebie ST last season. 

The upshot is, I now have plenty of room, being in an aisle seat, with just one (formerly my grandson's) empty seat next to me (every game so far this season!  Yippee!)  I'm otherwise surrounded by regular/returning STH's, and nobody likes a single seat on it's own!  

Archived