In a Nutshell: Derby County v B’ham City

Ellafella

1.    After Wednesday’s Hard Days Night in the Carabao Cup against the Blues of Chelsea, it was back to a routine Day in the Life of Derby County with a home fixture against the redoubtable Blues of Birmingham, who were on an impressive run of no defeats in 11, and 4 wins on the bounce.

2.    On a typical Autumn day, Pride Park looked a bit grey with a frisky wind about the place, the weather mainly Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite.

3.    The Fans’ Park was full of familiar faces, Lovely Rita included, as Edward and I contemplated the return of Davis at the back, and the debut of Duane Holmes {Surely, Sherlock for short?}. How would Derby be? Tired legs and a Bolton-esque showing?

4.    Birmingham fans were confident cautioning us to watch out for the lethal combo of Adams, Jota and “Juts”.

5.    Pride Park was a sumptuous Strawberry Field of a pitch as the ball was pinged about by a well organised Blues team; Derby’s passing was sometimes slow and sloppy and they were half-asleep when Adams was able to cross from the right to Juts, who slotted home from 10 yards.

6.    Nevertheless, Rams saw plenty of opportunity first half with Wilson {twice} and Marriot testing a “man-bunned” Lee Camp who did well to keep both out.

7.    2nd half was a different affair. Derby upped the pace and moved the ball quicker; Sherlock looked lively, and Marriot zipped about the Blues’ backs like a wasp on cider.

8.    But it was arguably Camp who catalysed the Blue’s eventual disintegration; blatantly kicking the ball away from an efficient Ballboy’s retrieval in a piece of not-so-subtle time-wasting, Camp saw Yellow Submarine but worse, simultaneously sparked the even-less subtle incandescent rage of the South Stand. Does he get off on being the target of 6,000 invectivised voices? I almost felt sorry for him but the spark was enough to crank the Ram’s machine up to notch 11, and moments later Forsyth put in a trade-mark Mr Whippy, which Bennett merely had to poke over the line for the equaliser. Cue Pride Park pandemonium: Twist & Shout! And Bounce.

9.    The flood gates opened: 2 minutes later a Wilson rocket from wide-right could only be diverted into the net by “Juts” for 2-1; E I E I E I Oooooooooo…

10. …followed by a beautiful “through the eye of a needle” pass by Forsyth {why does he get so much stick?!!} onto Jack who really shouldn’t have been able to squeeze that shot between Camp’s legs from that angle. Oh the egg on Camp’s boat!

11. The reality was B’rum could not cope with the intensity of Derby’s movement and tempo; it just gets better and better. There was still time for Wilson to smack the upright from a 25 yard free-kick with Camp stranded like a Walrus – how that boy can strike a football.

12. It was hard to pick a motm – Sherlock went off to a standing ovation after a very impressive bow but for me (swing-low) Jack Marriot was immense. Dare I say, Hector-esque?

13. Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life goes on…and we’re loving it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Great and very entertaining summary. Just two minor criticisms (being picky).

I've never seen a strawberry field look like that and, Sherlock is actually longer than Holmes. So calling him Sherlock for short doesn't really work. 

It's poetic license, subliminally. 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I've never seen a strawberry field look like that and, Sherlock is actually longer than Holmes. So calling him Sherlock for short doesn't really work. 

I'd like to know what is short for this nutshell.

In  a nutshell for me :-  I started watching Derby in 1958 so I've seen the good .bad and the ugly .I am eternally grateful for being the right age to appreciate and follow away the greatest Derby sides of 1968-9, 1971-2  and  1974-5 ,fabulous times .

The Arthur Cox days and TBE era's were very enjoyable as was the Mac1 but without the end result .But I have to say having lost my love for watching Derby last season I am absolutely loving the football being served up by the boys at the moment.

It's nice to see other fans appreciate the football your team is playing,  and the feeling of waking up the next day having despatched Man  U etc is a joy to behold . Happy days.

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1.    After Wednesday’s Hard Days Night in the Carabao Cup against the Blues of Chelsea, it was back to a routine Day in the Life of Derby County with a home fixture against the redoubtable Blues of Birmingham, who were on an impressive run of no defeats in 11, and 4 wins on the bounce.

2.    On a typical Autumn day, Pride Park looked a bit grey with a frisky wind about the place, the weather mainly Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite.

3.    The Fans’ Park was full of familiar faces, Lovely Rita included, as Edward and I contemplated the return of Davis at the back, and the debut of Duane Holmes {Surely, Sherlock for short?}. How would Derby be? Tired legs and a Bolton-esque showing?

4.    Birmingham fans were confident cautioning us to watch out for the lethal combo of Adams, Jota and “Juts”.

5.    Pride Park was a sumptuous Strawberry Field of a pitch as the ball was pinged about by a well organised Blues team; Derby’s passing was sometimes slow and sloppy and they were half-asleep when Adams was able to cross from the right to Juts, who slotted home from 10 yards.

6.    Nevertheless, Rams saw plenty of opportunity first half with Wilson {twice} and Marriot testing a “man-bunned” Lee Camp who did well to keep both out.

7.    2nd half was a different affair. Derby upped the pace and moved the ball quicker; Sherlock looked lively, and Marriot zipped about the Blues’ backs like a wasp on cider.

8.    But it was arguably Camp who catalysed the Blue’s eventual disintegration; blatantly kicking the ball away from an efficient Ballboy’s retrieval in a piece of not-so-subtle time-wasting, Camp saw Yellow Submarine but worse, simultaneously sparked the even-less subtle incandescent rage of the South Stand. Does he get off on being the target of 6,000 invectivised voices? I almost felt sorry for him but the spark was enough to crank the Ram’s machine up to notch 11, and moments later Forsyth put in a trade-mark Mr Whippy, which Bennett merely had to poke over the line for the equaliser. Cue Pride Park pandemonium: Twist & Shout! And Bounce.

9.    The flood gates opened: 2 minutes later a Wilson rocket from wide-right could only be diverted into the net by “Juts” for 2-1; E I E I E I Oooooooooo…

10. …followed by a beautiful “through the eye of a needle” pass by Forsyth {why does he get so much stick?!!} onto Jack who really shouldn’t have been able to squeeze that shot between Camp’s legs from that angle. Oh the egg on Camp’s boat!

11. The reality was B’rum could not cope with the intensity of Derby’s movement and tempo; it just gets better and better. There was still time for Wilson to smack the upright from a 25 yard free-kick with Camp stranded like a Walrus – how that boy can strike a football.

12. It was hard to pick a motm – Sherlock went off to a standing ovation after a very impressive bow but for me (swing-low) Jack Marriot was immense. Dare I say, Hector-esque?

13. Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da, Life goes on…and we’re loving it.

You may have slightly misinterpreted the south stand, if you thought Canp was “ man bunned” 

12 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

A nickname need not be shorter. My name comprises of a single syllable yet acquaintances constantly refer to me as, 'shut it you-baldy-fat-see you next Tuesday' which has several.

Archived