In praise of Tom Huddlestone

Comrade 86

Living proof that "don't fix what ain't broken" is just balls. Nothing wrong with the midfield of Johnson, Bryson and Mount, but Huddlestone, Mount and Wilson took it to completely different level.

TH is playing the role almost as well as George Thorne!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom showing why everyone who wanted him gone over the summer were absolutely in the wrong. Our front 5 must love playing in front of him, running in between the lines and into space and he'll find a pass to one of them with his quick thinking and feet.

When he's fully match fit and gets back to his best, Huddlestone is probably the best in the league in switching from being on the back foot to the front foot. 

56 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I've been thinking about this and folk will laugh at me but I'm wondering whether Frank switching Wilson into midfield might have helped. As outlets, Mount and WIlson are a pairing most clubs (an CDMs!) would dream of having. ALso, Tom's not young and perhaps just needed a hour or two of proper game time to loosen up his wheels! 

Like curtains says TL came on and obviously the subsequent reorganisation and Wilson moving into midfield really pegged the Blades back.

I was expecting the opposite tbh.

That then gave TH a bit more time and his influence grew.

I thought he might be taken off by the hour mark because of his early (harsh) booking. Playing that position you have to be prepared to take one for the team, but he had to pull out of a couple of challenges leaving us exposed. But generally he handled it well and showed his experience. Great shot too.

I feel sorry for Bradders (never thought I'd say that) but the point is, if your squad is small enough, everyone will still feel part of the buzz. It looks as if we're coalescing into the forward two midfielders being Mount, Wilson, Bryson and Holmes with the defensive one being between Hudds, Johnson and Evans, and all of those players are involved. For the first time I'll say Frank did the right think exiling Thorne and Butters from the squad - you can't keep all the people happy, all the time. Also, I'd have taken the Stoke money for Hudds when they came calling, as he's not a long-term solution and it seemed wise to get our money back or make a profit.

But Lampard was right again to turn it down and persuade the big fella to stay. Tom is unquestionably an artist with his passing ability, and his physicality aids us as a short team. Better footballers look and play better when surrounded by better footballers, and last night's midfield trio of Hudds, Wilson and Mount was three exquisitely talented players. Hudds is the most gifted of the old guard with four England caps too, and I'm thrilled we have him at the base of the midfield pyramid allowing our exuberant youngsters to play with freedom higher up.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Looks really comfortable in the current set up,having all that pace and movement round him is letting him be so influential.

I still can’t fully work out what changed from Sheff Utd first half?

He certainly looks in good nick and I don’t think having Tomori behind him does him any harm and he’s certainly put Keogh at ease as he’s always got an outlet.

He’s a real bonus because I thought CDM would be a problem and Bradders has been great too and I thought Evans would be the one to be the regular.

As it stands he’s probably 3 rd choice.

Watching Frank bring on Lawrence for Bryson on Saturday looked a bit reckless to me.

He moved Wilson inside and I was pleasantly surprised to find out he was perfectly capable of playing there.

Frank obviously knew this but I can assure everyone sitting around me didn't. Everyone assumed it would be BJ coming on.

That was the difference. It stopped The Blades in their tracks as it gave Hudds another creative outlet and we haven't looked back since.

We have done well against teams who want to play football but Boro under Pulis are a different challenge. Frank clearly does his homework but we have yet to convince against defensively minded opposition so in many ways The Riverside this weekend will be a more difficult prospect than either Wet Bum or Sheffield Utd.

In Frank we trust though and if we go down it will certainly be swinging.

38 minutes ago, Srg said:

Quite a weird one last night because yes, he was good, but he was actually not as good as he usually is and wasn't as good as several others on the night. We actually chuckled when he got given the man of the match award because it was such a surprise. Thought he over/under hit several passes, got caught in possession a couple of times and his radar was off from time to time, but still, he's what we need in that position.

Not sure I'd agree with much of that to be honest. I thought he bossed the midfield and the only misplaced passes I noted were in the last 15 minutes or so when he was notably leggy. He's currently operating at around 85% pass completion so I guess his bar is set pretty high, I'll give you that. Also, I'd rate last night and also the 2nd half performance against Sheffield as two of his best performances under the new regime but I concede that I'm a massive Hudds fanboy and might be over egging the pudding somewhat. Different folks, different strokes I guess. As regards the MOTM thing, I'd agree there were numerous worthy performances. On any other night Jack Marriott might have been the guy but I'm happy with the selectors decision as it stands tbh.

5 minutes ago, Full Screw said:

Watching Frank bring on Lawrence for Bryson on Saturday looked a bit reckless to me.

He moved Wilson inside and I was pleasantly surprised to find out he was perfectly capable of playing there.

Frank obviously knew this but I can assure everyone sitting around me didn't. Everyone assumed it would be BJ coming on.

That was the difference. It stopped The Blades in their tracks as it gave Hudds another creative outlet and we haven't looked back since.

We have done well against teams who want to play football but Boro under Pulis are a different challenge. Frank clearly does his homework but we have yet to convince against defensively minded opposition so in many ways The Riverside this weekend will be a more difficult prospect than either Wet Bum or Sheffield Utd.

You're not alone! I think most posts at the time were suggesting Frank had taken leave of his senses but then us fans don't know what has been trialled on the training ground. As it is, we all look silly again and Frank and Jody look inspired. Guess that's why they earn the big bucks, huh!

11 minutes ago, Full Screw said:

Can't beat a bit of swinging.

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Not sure I'd agree with much of that to be honest. I thought he bossed the midfield and the only misplaced passes I noted were in the last 15 minutes or so when he was notably leggy. He's currently operating at around 85% pass completion so I guess his bar is set pretty high, I'll give you that. Also, I'd rate last night and also the 2nd half performance against Sheffield as two of his best performances under the new regime but I concede that I'm a massive Hudds fanboy and might be over egging the pudding somewhat. Different folks, different strokes I guess. As regards the MOTM thing, I'd agree there were numerous worthy performances. On any other night Jack Marriott might have been the guy but I'm happy with the selectors decision as it stands tbh.

Well, as I said, he was still good, but I think I've seen him play better since he rejoined us. I think he's a necessity in this team with his vision, forethought and experience in that position.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well, as I said, he was still good, but I think I've seen him play better since he rejoined us. I think he's a necessity in this team with his vision, forethought and experience in that position.

Part of the reason I and other Huddz fanboys were so effusive about last night's performance might have been his effect on the overall team performance. Perhaps a more rational mind than mine would analyze him strictly in terms of his own output so I get where you're coming from. He is my favourite player at the club so I am hideously biased! 

I was purring with the effortless nature of his performance last night, and put in match chat I felt his Mom was well deserved. The thing that struck me on reflection was what other teams will be thinking, in the past it was a bit  of a 'stop Hughes, or stop Martin, and they don't quite function sort of team', but that team last night, who would you as an opposition manager tell your team to stop or take special care of ?? Very exciting times

Just want to add, we all knew it might take Frank time,and some were less than convinced, but if this is a glimpse of how he wants his teams to play,and I know it won't be every game but a few more performances like that and it could convince even his biggest critic that he's worth persevering with ?

Excellent again last night and with better players doing a lot of running it becomes easy for him with his instant touch and awareness to pass it short or long and the opponent knows he can deliver every time

a year ago he had johnson and Butterfield or Johnson and ledley as his helpers which gave us congestion but now with Mount Bryson and Wilson we have lots of movement with quality 

The most obvious difference from 1st half against Sheff Utd and the 135 minutes since for me is that he has taken up a position much higher on the pitch.  1st half against Utd he was standing on Keogh and Tomori’s toes and more or less playing as a third centre half.  I think this was a major problem last season too.  Second half and last night he was operating around the half way line and beyond (obviously getting back when necessary!).  This makes him far more effective and also stops the problems of giving him the ball too deep as an outlet and letting the opposition squeeze up.  

Thats my view of it anyway.  Sure I’m going to be proven wrong! ?

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Lots of player-dedicated threads but as yet, none for the maestro himself, Tom Huddlestone. I’ve doubtless driven a few on here nuts with my blind faith in Tom but I feel to a degree he’s now vindicated the opinion that he should be one of, if not the first name on the team sheet. My argument has always been a simple one – that Hudds can operate better in tight spaces and against a high press, than anyone in the squad. I also believe him to be the best passer of a ball in the team. Folk will think I’m gushing again (no jokes please!) but I’d go so far as to say that if Tom had the athleticism and engine of someone like Jordan Henderson, he’d be at a top 4 club and a current England international.

So, is this an over the top appraisal? Maybe, certainly some will think as much, but if there’s a better passer of a ball in our division I’ve not seen him and I’m not convinced there is one in the current England set up either. Happy-clapper hyperbole aside, yes, Tom will occasionally have players waltz by him, yes, he’s not terribly mobile and lacks a yard of pace, but while these things are true, in games where we are on the front foot, our Tom is going to dismantle some teams given the wealth of attacking options he has at his disposal, all of whom now appear to be both more than willing and able to pick and make runs that stretch defences to breaking point.

For the record and for the sake of balance, Tom owes a deal of thanks to players around him who are working so hard to find space. Young Jack Marriott in particular is excellent off the ball and it’s no coincidence that Huddz has looked back to his best with the arrival of Jack in the starting line-up. The more movement Tom sees ahead of him, the more options he will have, I think this is a fair assessment and one borne out by last night's performance. After what was a pretty compelling statement to the rest of the division, most teams will now look to stifle us rather than outplay us, but if they press high, Tom’s golden feet will buy him space and if they sit back, his laser-guided passing allied to a super mobile 'front 5', might allow us to break our hoodoo against teams that park the bus. Whatever way you look at it, this season is shaping up to be an absolute belter and I’d wager the current squad will not crack under pressure the way we have in recent years. Some tough games ahead, no doubt, notably so in the coming weeks, but much to look forward to nonetheless yet with a dash of luck and a fair wind, I'm not convinced we have too much to fear.

COYR

Thanks.

I'd give you 5 sheep for that one, if I could.

COYR

He had a big influence last night and has come back in good form. One thing I've noticed recently is that he's not as slow as people make him out to be. Yes turning and off the mark he's very sluggish, but when he's up and running he manages a moderate speed. 

Archived