Poshness

Parsnip

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Pouring in the milk before the tea or after the tea is the important marker. 

And probably deserves a poll.

Which way is it meant to be?

Milk after = gentry, milk before = peasant? Something to do with having good china which could take the heat?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Milk after = gentry, milk before = peasant? Something to do with having good china which could take the heat?

That’s an interesting one Joe. 

One thing for sure Pineapple has no place on a pizza 

16 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

This has always been my understanding. However, it is always milk second for me - so I can tell how strong it's going to be.

But I'm not posh. Honest.

Talking about tea making, the strangest way i experienced was working at an asian familys house in Burton. Saucepan of cold water, chuck in four teabags,  add milk,  bring to boil and serve.  Foulest drink i ever had the misfortune to sample,  not nice.

1 minute ago, mozza said:

Talking about tea making, the strangest way i experienced was working at an asian familys house in Burton. Saucepan of cold water, chuck in four teabags,  add milk,  bring to boil and serve.  Foulest drink i ever had the misfortune to sample,  not nice.

Did they not chuck in a shitload of sugar? Like the chai you get in india.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Did they not chuck in a shitload of sugar? Like the chai you get in india.

They may have done, luckily there was a convenient flowerbed nearby, no,  in truth when they asked if we wanted a drink i said i'd like tea,  no sugar,  please..

54 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This has always been my understanding. However, it is always milk second for me - so I can tell how strong it's going to be.

But I'm not posh. Honest.

Come on lads - surely everyone knows that it's milk first if the tea's in a pot, but milk second if you're bag's in the cup

If you pour boiling water directly onto cold milk milk it scalds it and makes it taste different. Whatto old chap! You don't want that!

For me the big mistake people make with a cuppa is when they agressively squeeze the bag before removing it. This forces the tannins into the brew and makes it far too bitter. The secret is to tease the bag, not squeeze the bag

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Come on lads - surely everyone knows that it's milk first if the tea's in a pot, but milk second if you're bag's in the cup

If you pour boiling water directly onto cold milk milk it scalds it and makes it taste different. Whatto old chap! You don't want that!

For me the big mistake people make with a cuppa is when they agressively squeeze the bag before removing it. This forces the tannins into the brew and makes it far too bitter. The secret is to tease the bag, not squeeze the bag

I've been wondering of late whether it's worth hanging around here as much - it's all a bit flat and dull lately - but this is the sort of thing that keeps me here. On this forum, you can't help but learn stuff.

I am off home to tease my bag.

5 hours ago, jono said:

One thing for sure Pineapple has no place on a pizza

Never understood people's problem with that. Pineapple and cheese go beautifully together.

I went through a phase a few years ago where I was addicted to bacon, banana and melted cheese sandwiches. I was posh AF back then.

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Never understood people's problem with that. Pineapple and cheese go beautifully together.

I went through a phase a few years ago where I was addicted to bacon, banana and melted cheese sandwiches. I was posh AF back then.

Pineapple,cheese,and a cocktail onion are very common (and nice) 

14 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I love pineapple and cheese but pizza for me is savoury not sweet. Really though I was remembering going for a pizza in Italy with an Italian friend who could be .. shall we say .. somewhat effete and traditional .. I can still see his lip curl when looking at the menu and him saying 

“Hawaiiana” ! .. non e una pizza, e un disgraziato ! 

I just made me laugh to see the outrage 

1 minute ago, jono said:

I love pineapple and cheese but pizza for me is savoury not sweet. Really though I was remembering going for a pizza in Italy with an Italian friend who could be .. shall we say .. somewhat effete and traditional .. I can still see his lip curl when looking at the menu and him saying 

Presumably your mate would foam at the mouth at the French "pizza blanc", where they substitute creme fraiche for the tomato puree ?

2 hours ago, jono said:

Italians need to understand that having given their cuisine to the world, they are in no position to complain about what we do with it. We are grateful but won't be dictated to. 'Cultural appropriation' tosspots take note.

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Italians need to understand that having given their cuisine to the world, they are in no position to complain about what we do with it. We are grateful but won't be dictated to. 'Cultural appropriation' tosspots take note.

Which is why curry house curry is better than authentic indian.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

This thread's definitely getting posher. From chips to pizza. Wonder how long it'll be before we start talking about avocado. 

I'm going straight for the big one by letting you all know that Mrs Hants last night served up a rice and pomegranate salad seasoned with fresh coriander and zhug, with grilled chicken breast.

What's everyone's favourite middle eastern seasoning? ??

Archived