Players rested

PistoldPete2

PistoldPete2

No game time v Oldham for wisdom, Lowe, Bryson, Ledley, Lawrence.

can we read anything into that after the Leeds debacle?  Were  they dropped or rested? None of them played well against leeds. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the last we see of Lowe for a while. Evans and Johnson seems to do well as a two so I suspect he'll go with those again on Saturday unless he reverts back to 4-3-3, which I'd be surprised if he did. More solid feel to us last night and allowed the attacking players to go and attack.

Might be a problem for Bryson too, positionally, in a 4-2-3-1.

Wisdom and Lawrence you'd expect to see back in.

22 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Probably the last we see of Lowe for a while. Evans and Johnson seems to do well as a two so I suspect he'll go with those again on Saturday unless he reverts back to 4-3-3, which I'd be surprised if he did. More solid feel to us last night and allowed the attacking players to go and attack.

Might be a problem for Bryson too, positionally, in a 4-2-3-1.

Wisdom and Lawrence you'd expect to see back in.

Personally I didn't think we were solid at all, we still leaked numerous chances against a League Two team.

I think it'd be a shame if Lowe were to vanish altogether as he's immensely promising. Folk were hailing him as a £20 million player of the future after pre-season. I concede he's looked tactically naive at times over the first two games but that side of the game he can learn with experience whereas he's already blessed with obvious technical ability. I think Malone is the most likely starter as things stand but I'd hope the young lad is developed in and around the first team all the same. I'm also not sure we need abandon the 4-3-3 system just yet. I think it would suit some of our CDMs though Joe has not looked comfortable when asked to rotate positions. George and Evans look the future for us but Hudds' calmness and ability to find space and time to pick a pass can also be useful despite him not being the quickest player on the park. I'd really like to see Mason given more than a bit part too, even if not a perpetual starter. I think he's earned that right already.

4 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

can we read anything into that after the Leeds debacle?  Were  they dropped or rested? None of them played well against leeds. 

Read anything into it? Come on now. 

Leeds made a number of changes as well last night.

It’s the cup.

We played lower league opposition.

Show us a year where we didn’t make a number of changes for the first round in the cup. 

Lampard even spoke about making changes and giving some new faces game time in his pre match interviews. 

1 hour ago, David said:

It’s the cup.

Show us a year where we didn’t make a number of changes for the first round in the cup. 

Lampard even spoke about making changes and giving some new faces game time in his pre match interviews. 

Id suggest some changes were about keeping it fresh but I do think a couple of changes were testing the water for new players to come in after the disappointment of Leeds...

I wouldn't read too much into it, but I would be surprised not to see Evans & Malone keep their place based on reports and the Leeds game. Jozefzoon may get a start too, probably more likely over Wilson & it's a toss up between Johnson & Bryson who starts. I can't see us going with Bogle over Wisdom for a league match just yet. Marriott apparently played well, but I think he would have needed a goal or two to really put himself in Lampard's mind. 

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Evans, Bryson/Johnson, Mount, Jozefzoon/Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn't read too much into it, but I would be surprised not to see Evans & Malone keep their place based on reports and the Leeds game. Jozefzoon may get a start too, probably more likely over Wilson & it's a toss up between Johnson & Bryson who starts. I can't see us going with Bogle over Wisdom for a league match just yet. Marriott apparently played well, but I think he would have needed a goal or two to really put himself in Lampard's mind. 

Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Tomori, Malone, Evans, Bryson/Johnson, Mount, Jozefzoon/Wilson, Lawrence, Waghorn. 

think for an away match at Millwall, Frank might value the solidity of Johnners over Bryso.

I realise hes scored 2 but Lawrence to my mind needs to put more graft in and start showing better balance to his decision making or i would drop him for a match.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, David said:

It’s the cup.

Yes but why rest Lowe say but not Keogh? Do you expect all the players who were rested to play on Saturday. I don’t. Normally you can tell who is being rested and who is being dropped but it’s hard to tell this time.

8 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes but why rest Lowe say but not Keogh? Do you expect all the players who were rested to play on Saturday. I don’t. Normally you can tell who is being rested and who is being dropped but it’s hard to tell this time.

Lampard said he wanted to give some minutes to the new lads. Not heard dropped or rested mentioned once, if he has I haven’t seen it.

Malone plays left back. New face. 

I expect to see many changes over the next 5 or 6 games as Lampard tinkers to see what works and what doesn’t.

He was never going to walk in and land on his first 11 from game 1 and stick with it.

4 hours ago, 86 points said:

I think it'd be a shame if Lowe were to vanish altogether as he's immensely promising. Folk were hailing him as a £20 million player of the future after pre-season. I concede he's looked tactically naive at times over the first two games but that side of the game he can learn with experience whereas he's already blessed with obvious technical ability.

I agree. At the moment he looks more suited to playing on the left side of midfield, but I doubt he is going to be given that opportunity.

8 hours ago, Ramchester said:

Lowe and Ledley may be worried about their places for Saturday with Frank playing Malone and Evans in their positions. I think Lawrence, Bryson and Wisdom will be okay. 

This exactly

No way Malone would have been brought in as backup - And with Huddlestone injured Evans has a chance to make a claim

Lawrence, Bryson and Wisdom have to be considered first choice in their positions - Bryson only one you'd 'think' about but Holmes didn't play (unless maybe Johnson had an exceptional game?)

Lowe I expect won’t get a look in for a while after flattering to deceive in pre season. Malone will start on Saturday. Evans or brad will start till Hudds is fit, Ledley dropped. Lawrence will get a recall and Wisdom/ Keogh will play till Davis is fit, then 1 will be dropped with the new lad playing with Davis or right back. My guess anyway 

17 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

What we can read into it is that we have a massive squad and some decent players might only get game time in the cup competitions.

I would LOVE to see George in the squad on Saturday. Probably unlikely.

Expect Evans and Malone to keep their places. Strike up for grabs but expect Waghorn. Lawrence back in. Maybe JoZo for Wilson. Wisdom I expect to return with a kick up the area to improve 

Archived