Defensive coach

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Surprised by the stick Keogh is getting. Could have done a bit better for the first when he was ‘dummied’. Tomori didn’t even challenge for their second - feet firmly planted on the floor. Tomori played well apart from that in my opinion. The other goals? Still struggling to find a real reason to blame Keogh. 

You must have missed their 3rd when his positioning was all wrong and got turned inside out by Roofe then their 4th when Alioski ran past him for a free header

2 games in....... 44 to go.

Bournemouth were in the bottom half of the table at Christmas. Were automatically promoted by the end of the season.

I need to stay away from the cynics because it's already panic stations by the sounds of it.......

57 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not wrist slashing by any means, but are we lacking some with defensive knowhow in the staff? Because the positional work, particularly down our left hand side was very poor

It’s not the coach it’s Lowe has had 2 poor games. Malone in next game I would think. 

First and foremost we are too lightweight and have no bite whatsoever ,that’s ok in pre season friendlies but will not cut it in the championship even against the poorer teams in it , ,, ive never been a keough knocker but I’m on the cusp of believing he will not be anywhere good enough to get promoted ,he has zero composure 

1 minute ago, SouthStandDan said:

2 games in....... 44 to go.

Bournemouth were in the bottom half of the table at Christmas. Were automatically promoted by the end of the season.

I need to stay away from the cynics because it's already panic stations by the sounds of it.......

I think the cynic comes from it being the usual. Defensively we're seeing the same things we've seen for years and years. 

10 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

rooster up for the first. Pathetic effort for the third. Gave away the ball multiple times. Had a mare against reading. Been a liability for years and years. It all adds up. 

Your stance on Keogh has been boring from day 1. Lead a young and inexperienced defence fairly well today. They all could have done better, but Leeds were clinical. 

1 minute ago, deano180 said:

I never said they we poor players, I'm actually giving Forsyth credit in his defence abilities compared to Max

I don't think the players I listed are poor either. I am illustrating the list of decent players that have ultimately failed and been scapegoats at derby. Imo through little fault of their own. 

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Your stance on Keogh has been boring from day 1. Lead a young and inexperienced defence fairly well today. They all could have done better, but Leeds were clinical. 

2+2=4 isn't interesting. Still true though. 

You watched a different game to most. 

Defence isn’t really the issue it’s the midfield. Balance is wrong, never had control of the game. Ledley has been hugely exposed in both games, Mount is an attacking midfielder but needs to get on the ball more to dictate games. No reason he couldn’t be a Tom Cairney type player. 

Keogh didn’t do much wrong today but while he was shocking for the first 20-30 mins and was at fault for the second goal...Tomori is fecking awesome and the biggest positive from today. For that reason I think Keogh will be struggling to keep his place in the team. 

Lowe hasn’t done bad in either game, think Frank needs to work out tactics with the full backs. If there is any issues Malone will come in but like Tomori Lowe’s potential is there for all to see (although he won’t be as good as Tomori!)

Defensive organization pretty nonexistent today. We could have brought in Pearce and played Fozzy at left back and it would have been a defense that kew each other, but you have to speculate to accumulate so we tried Lowe and Tomori and both found it very tough. It looked as though Keogh was having to cover across the whole back four, which made it incredibly tough.

Tomori improved a little as the game went on. Lowe has the skil and enthusiasm but not the know-how. Wisdom offered nothing going forward and didn't defend very well.

There must defensive coaching expertise at the club - isn't Short with us, and of course there's Wassall? But not averse to Terry coming in to coach. Or another defensive expert.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

We need a centre mid to sit in front of the back 4, too often Bryson was the deepest player 1st half then when he advanced we were wide open, Evans should've started as should Malone.

Keogh needs to be dropped, absolute woeful.

Wisdom Tomori Davies Malone with Evans or Hudd sat in front of them is by far and away our strongest defensive 5, sooner we get it on the pitch consistently the better

That’s the thing for me. It doesn’t look like Ledley has been told to sit. If he had he would. 

So if Ledley has been given free reign to move forward and the midfield to rotate, is this schoolboy tactical errors from the management? 

Either way Lesley shouldn’t be in that team.

1 hour ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not wrist slashing by any means, but are we lacking some with defensive knowhow in the staff? Because the positional work, particularly down our left hand side was very poor

The right side wasn’t much better as wisdom has turned in to a right side version of ollson just standing off players with no pressure on the ball he looks lost at the moment.

1st Goal

- Lowe (I think) loses the ball

- midfield makes it easy for him to get a shot away

2nd Goal

- Lowe has to come and win that header. Worst case he jumps into Roofe so he doesn't get a free header. Terrible positional play and looked scared of making physical contact

3rd Goal

- Keogh has to be stronger

- Ball given away on middle of pitch

4th Goal

- Tomori should be clearing the header with better positioning

- Lowe should be covering behind instead of letting his man break free

I don't mind Lampards attack minded formation, I'm all for it but we need a good holding midfield in there. Huddlestone will give us better passing with the ball but i fear they will run rings around him. I only hope Evans can deliver more mobility.

Johnson should not be playing it. At one point in the second half Johnson took the free kick to deliver in. Waghorn and Lawrence were in the box - why oh why? We all know Johnson has an aerial ability yet why is he delivering the cross in? We MUST be smarter.

Malone, Hudds or Evans, Davies back (for either centre back) are key. I also think Holmes may establish himself and we should be seeing him in the 18.

I fear for Bryson if Holmes offers some defensive rigidity. 

Lots for Lampard to work on. I fully trust he will get it right and work on how to be stronger as a defensive unit without giving up the attacking play.

Archived