A common theme

Birdyabroad

Anyone notice a common theme in the players that we have signed?

The Peterborough chairman tweeted to say how Marriot was the first on, and last off, the training ground.

Ipswich fans speak about how hard working Waghorn is and what a gentleman he is off the pitch.

Now Scunthorpe fans on Twitter talk about how we’ve got a ‘goodun’ and again refer to him as a gentleman off the pitch.

I’m also certain that Malone is being referred to in high regard by Fulham fans (Although admittedly not Huddersfield fans who didn’t see much of him). Again, Fulham fans describing him as a tireless worker.

It’s unusual for fans of selling clubs to be so gracious. I wonder if Lampard is building a team of players in his mould; hard workers for who the game doesn’t come easy.

Before anyone tells me that our Lamps was so gifted, I was brought up in the East end and remember his early years at the Hammers; it was far from inspiring and many felt that he was given so much room to develop in the first team due to his uncle being manager and dad assistant coach.

Lampard got where he was through hard work and training, not necessarily natural ability. I’m certain he would be the first to second this.

These players remind me of the kind of signing made by Nigel Clough (who, himself, wanted Waghorn). Clough has to look to the lower leagues and Scottish leagues to find hard working players who did not have a sense of entitlement.

Somewhere we lost our way, but I am happy that we seem to be back on track.

It will hopefully make a nice change from watching a player like Butterfield looking thoroughly miserable.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I genuinely hope you are right. 

Fans love keen and eager players and teams that have players who persevere end up wining more often than the ones with big egos.

I am a bit Corinthian when it comes to sport. Playing the game the right way with the right attitude counts a lot. If Frank makes that a serious part of his ethos ( rather than lip service ) then I will be delighted. 

Of course you need strong men and leaders in teams but there are ways of doing things. 

33 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

The Peterborough chairman tweeted to say how Marriot was the first on, and last off, the training ground.

Ipswich fans speak about how hard working Waghorn is and what a gentleman he is off the pitch.

Now Scunthorpe fans on Twitter talk about how we’ve got a ‘goodun’ and again refer to him as a gentleman off the pitch.

I’m also certain that Malone is being referred to in high regard by Fulham fans (Although admittedly not Huddersfield fans who didn’t see much of him). Again, Fulham fans describing him as a tireless worker.

It’s unusual for fans of selling clubs to be so gracious. I wonder if Lampard is building a team of players in his mould; hard workers for who the game doesn’t come easy.

Before anyone tells me that our Lamps was so gifted, I was brought up in the East end and remember his early years at the Hammers; it was far from inspiring and many felt that he was given so much room to develop in the first team due to his uncle being manager and dad assistant coach.

Lampard got where he was through hard work and training, not necessarily natural ability. I’m certain he would be the first to second this.

These players remind me of the kind of signing made by Nigel Clough (who, himself, wanted Waghorn). Clough has to look to the lower leagues and Scottish leagues to find hard working players who did not have a sense of entitlement.

It will hopefully make a nice change from watching a player like Butterfield looking thoroughly miserable.

Yes Nigel signed some crackers..... and a few duffers, but definitely in credit. Unfortunately fans (and the owners) lost patience. Not that Clough was given the sort of budget afforded to Clement, Pearson and Lampard. 

32 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Hope some of our new players are prepared to be a little bit thuggish on the pitch  - for years we have been too 'nice' a team.

Tough, hard, getting stuck in .. i’ll go with. .....thuggish ?  .. not for me not even a little bit 

2 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

Yes. For the team to play a high press as Lampard wants, every single player will need to be able and be willing to run his socks off, it seems like Lampard has delivered the players to do it. 

4 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

You could not be anymore correct.when scouting players now days its not just about their ability they also closely vet their personality,attitude,work rate etc along with all the normal stuff.

So perhaps Frank has been compiling a dossier over the past year or so of players with the same work ethic as himself ? Or perhaps somebody who shall remain nameless has compiled a list on his behalf, or maybe he has just picked it all up ASAP off football manager ?

4 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

You can't teach attitude, but you can teach knowledge.

Lovely mix and balance to the additions we’ve made. Proven experience and work ethic with Waghorn and Malone, young hungry lower league potential in Marriott and Holmes, combined with talented youngsters from the big boys! 

Someone else said it, we had a mad 6 months under Clement and went away from what had made us successful (relatively)

Think this sort of point has become more prominent in football nowadays. There’s a huge amount to be said for having a strong united squad of proper professional players and avoiding the damage that the odd big time Charlie has who doesn’t give his all. Think most the players we’ve signed fit into a similar category of players who haven’t really been at a place as big as derby at this level before (probably with the exception of Malone), who’ll be desperate to prove themselves (some to their parent clubs)

Hopefully this will bring about a better team spirit than under previous managers, particularly clement which were hearing more about...

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

So perhaps Frank has been compiling a dossier over the past year or so of players with the same work ethic as himself ? Or perhaps somebody who shall remain nameless has compiled a list on his behalf, or maybe he has just picked it all up ASAP off football manager ?

you sell him short from how he speaks he has seen a lot of football since he packed it in

12 hours ago, deano180 said:

You can't teach attitude, but you can teach knowledge.

I think you're partly right. You can  teach good attitude but whether the individual chooses to adopt it is another matter. However a good people manager should be able to influence attitude but it must help to have the right attitude to start with.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think you're partly right. You can  teach good attitude but whether the individual chooses to adopt it is another matter. However a good people manager should be able to influence attitude but it must help to have the right attitude to start with.

Agree, I tend to use the one liner I put on here in my role at work to get the most impact with the employee I'm working on or with.

Archived