Transfer Window

Richard246

2 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Always great to see fresh legs coming into the team.The optimism this creates with fans, and we appear to have done well with the players brought in with regard fees, age, experience and potential.

Obviously need to clear a few out now to reduce cost,create a manageable squad size,create revenue and Have those we want to keep but not realistically going to play out on loan.

But who out of the incoming do you think is the least likely to succeed / biggest gamble .?

pity with so many new signings they haven't had a pre season with us to jell  but all good stuff so far just hope Harry hasn't been involved in any financial negotiations?

Don’t worry, as long as Harry’s dog’s been helping with financial matters we’ll be fine.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I can't see us doing anything today, we have signed 8 players, I think the only business today will be players out.

We have to remember that when the window closes at 5pm the loan window remains open where players can be signed with views to permanent signings.

I would be surprised if we did anything significant, if anything at all.

After everything that's happened so far, more incomings today wouldn't surprise me at all.

But you're right in that this new-style transfer window is a first and the key date is 31st August while today's 5pm deadline is largely irrelevant.

Last season we finished 6th with the 4th best defence in the League and the top goal scorer. Do we need more players???

god yes we do, last season was boring drivel, I had more excitement since Frank joined than in the past 18 months. Can’t wait for Saturday, however as I sit in the SW upper I have absolutely no chance of knowing who anyone is!!! 

TBH I'm not sure Frank knows what he's doing.  Football is 11-a-side not 7-a-side.  We've only got 5hrs left to sign 4 players...

But yeah, a few outs and maybe another player or 2 in and we'll have more-or-less completely revamped the squad - old n tired to young n hungry. Been a great window ?

Every year we have moaned about the new year slump.

The players who have come in are young and hungry...or pros with a bit of an edge to them. Really can't see them capitulating in the same way. Whether they gel from the beginning is a different matter.

Clear to me Frank and Jody have decided to pack the dressing room with characters and potential. Players are going to be trying to out do one another. If you want in, you are going to have to earn it.

7or 8 fringe players out (mostly on loan) and a real beast of a center back (maybe even JT would do) and a bit of creativity/legs for the midfield to compete with Bryson and Mount. Would need to be pretty much starters...no more reserves.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

History tells us that you can't buy a winning team. A lot of  transfer activity has rarely been associated with success.

it didn't work for arthur cox, jim smith (later) or tommy doc

it sort of did work for jim smith (early days)

jim signed flynn, rowett, daryl powell, v der laan, willems, stimac, and finally chris powell and got promoted (7)

cox failed with sutton, charles, harkes, short, wassall, pembridge, kitson, gabbiadonkey, simpson, johnson (10)

lampard - malone, marriott, jozefzoon, waghorn, mount, wilson, evans, tomori (8) and still shopping?

Blackburn, Wolves, Chelsea, Man City... Sure there are plenty of other examples.

We hadn't managed it, but plenty of others have. 

Retrospectively the window does seem a bit lopsided. The most notable is Jozefzoon, who is already third choice winger, but you sense we could have survived with Thomas and Bennett, added to by the flexibility of Malone, Waghorn, Mount etc. 

Likewise Marriott and Waghorn seems overkill, 2 very definite first teamers due to the fees. We've got an abundance of strikers to fill in behind one of those as first choice.

That would have given you ample money to go out and get Flint, Woods or someone else (just spit balling £6m rated players) to make more of a difference to our first team spine. 

5 hours ago, Kinder said:

What’s this transfer window done for everyone’s expectations? I put some money on us to win the league after we signed Mount, Wilson and FloJo, thought we were playing great football pre-season and looked a strong team. I literally have no idea whether the rest of these signings make me more or less confident now! Are we putting pretty much an entire new first team together (except Carson, Davies and maybe Bryson & Wisdom)? If so, surely Frank and Jodie need some time with them on the training ground before they gel. Should we be thinking more about next season or is this a massive push for this year? We’ll presumably have to give back the loanees next year. Exciting times whichever way you look at it.

Very good post. It's a Kinder magic. ?

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Much prefer the window to close late evening but regardless, if you're watching on SKY it still means having to suffer that twerp wearing the yellow tie

And a bloke stood outside a stadium at 11pm for no reason at all. You know, in case Godin rocks up at Old Trafford at midnight. The stadium. Not the training facilities that United work from every day apart from Saturdays. But Old Trafford. Hoping to catch wind of an email, bank transfer, fax, text etc 

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

And a bloke stood outside a stadium at 11pm for no reason at all. You know, in case Godin rocks up at Old Trafford at midnight. The stadium. Not the training facilities that United work from every day apart from Saturdays. But Old Trafford. Hoping to catch wind of an email, bank transfer, fax, text etc 

No idea why they bother. All you need to do is follow them on social media and find out who they’re following and which posts and tweets theyre liking. 

Archived