Brentford at home 22 September

richinspain

A couple of friends want me to organise a trip over to see a game. We have been looking at possibilities and the game against Brentford on the 22nd of September is the best one for work commitments etc. Obviously we want to book flights, hotels etc before going over. We've already left it a bit late for the flights as prices and availability is now all over the place. My biggest worry is if the game gets changed fo tv coverage. I've looked on the EFL website and it appears that games have already been chosen for that weekend, but only for the Friday and Saturday evenings. From what I've read I think that there is still a chance that it could get changed to the Sunday or Monday, both of which would buggar everything up because we need to go over on the Friday and return Sunday 17:45 flight. Can anyone make sense of the wording so as I take the risk to book now, or wait another couple of weeks just in case?

38BB00B2-8F32-452B-BD3C-2AE8DE3A5894.jpeg

4777DFE9-E1CE-4786-A461-C0521B055610.jpeg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rich, I think most people would read this as as committment to giving fans a minimum of 5 weeks notice of a match being on sky and therefore having the day/time altered to anything from Friday evening to Monday night. In which case 5 weeks from September 22 is August 18th, but as that's a Saturday then probably August 17th.

But, this is sky who don't give a rats backside about fans and their travel problems, and a craven EFL who do whatever sky want.

Brentford started well on Saturday and we've got the Frankie effect. We're also not due to be on TV in September, so far. I'd wait until August 18th before booking and then sue sky and the EFL in the small claims court if they change the fixture after that in a way that means you don't get to see the match.

Check the premier league games for that weekend. Usually the Championship gets Friday Night coverage and Saturday early/evening. The only time a game has been played on a Sunday to my knowledge is if it is a rivalry like Derby v Forest, Sheff Wed v Sheff U or Ipswich v Norwich etc. If prem games are on the Sunday and Monday night you will be fine....Hopefully. hope this helps

5 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Check the premier league games for that weekend. Usually the Championship gets Friday Night coverage and Saturday early/evening.

Fulham v Watford is the early kick off on Saturday.

2 Games on Sunday, West Ham v Chelsea at 1.30pm followed by Arsenal v Everton at 4pm.

Monday, they have "Live FIFA Football Awards" being shown on Sky Sports Main Event (19:30), Sky Sports Premier League (19:30), Sky Sports Mix (19:30), Sky Sports Football (19:30)

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

A couple of friends want me to organise a trip over to see a game. We have been looking at possibilities and the game against Brentford on the 22nd of September is the best one for work commitments etc. Obviously we want to book flights, hotels etc before going over. We've already left it a bit late for the flights as prices and availability is now all over the place. My biggest worry is if the game gets changed fo tv coverage. I've looked on the EFL website and it appears that games have already been chosen for that weekend, but only for the Friday and Saturday evenings. From what I've read I think that there is still a chance that it could get changed to the Sunday or Monday, both of which would buggar everything up because we need to go over on the Friday and return Sunday 17:45 flight. Can anyone make sense of the wording so as I take the risk to book now, or wait another couple of weeks just in case?

38BB00B2-8F32-452B-BD3C-2AE8DE3A5894.jpeg

4777DFE9-E1CE-4786-A461-C0521B055610.jpeg

Sky have announced their Prem fixtures for that weekend and the Sunday slots have been filled, it is only Monday night that hasn't. Personally can't see it being selected now. 

27 minutes ago, David said:

Fulham v Watford is the early kick off on Saturday.

2 Games on Sunday, West Ham v Chelsea at 1.30pm followed by Arsenal v Everton at 4pm.

Monday, they have "Live FIFA Football Awards" being shown on Sky Sports Main Event (19:30), Sky Sports Premier League (19:30), Sky Sports Mix (19:30), Sky Sports Football (19:30)

Dont think there is any room for a game to be shown. La Liga will be on late on Sunday too i believe.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The 5 week notice period would take us to the 18th August. You should be safe with booking flights now, but I would personally wait until the 18th.

Perhaps drop the club a line and they may offer better advice.

I emailed the ticket office a couple of weeks ago. They said pretty much what has been said on here, that up till the cutoff date they couldn't confirm anything. Part of the reason for choosing this game was that Brentford aren't normally a big draw, but they play attractive football. After Saturday however they may be a more attractive draw for the tv.

• 3 weeks later...

So, as I have said in the pie thread, we decided to take the risk and are going over for this game. We'll be arriving Friday lunchtime and returning Sunday afternoon. They want the full on football experience. I've bought three tickets in the south stand upper, area h, row c. I would have preferred on the other end of the south stand nearer the away fans but there weren't three seats available together. Hopefully the atmosphere will be good there, although obviously the game itself can affect that. Does anyone on here sit near there? What's it like in general? We're staying in the Hallmark Inn on Midland Road, so only a five minute walk to the Brunswick etc. Which are the best pubs for pre-match atmosphere, preferably with an early start so as to get to the ground early as well? I would imagine that they would fancy some post match beveraging as well (I don't drink beer because on occasions even just a small one gives me a migraine ? although I'm sure I'll try one ?). Hopefully will get to meet in person some of you off here. We'll be easy to spot. The George Clooney look alike (well, I've got grey hair) wearing a replica 1960s shirt and a blue and white scarf, accompanied by two Spanish blokes whose only English will include the word ducking quite a lot.

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

So, as I have said in the pie thread, we decided to take the risk and are going over for this game. We'll be arriving Friday lunchtime and returning Sunday afternoon. They want the full on football experience. I've bought three tickets in the south stand upper, area h, row c. I would have preferred on the other end of the south stand nearer the away fans but there weren't three seats available together. Hopefully the atmosphere will be good there, although obviously the game itself can affect that. Does anyone on here sit near there? What's it like in general? We're staying in the Hallmark Inn on Midland Road, so only a five minute walk to the Brunswick etc. Which are the best pubs for pre-match atmosphere, preferably with an early start so as to get to the ground early as well? I would imagine that they would fancy some post match beveraging as well (I don't drink beer because on occasions even just a small one gives me a migraine ? although I'm sure I'll try one ?). Hopefully will get to meet in person some of you off here. We'll be easy to spot. The George Clooney look alike (well, I've got grey hair) wearing a replica 1960s shirt and a blue and white scarf, accompanied by two Spanish blokes whose only English will include the word ducking quite a lot.

Brunswick pre match experience tops for me......

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Doubt Brentford will bring many so no problems on not been near their fans.

Should be a good game as they play good football. They would be the team I'd most like to go up after us. Amazing what they have achieved so far and got a mate who supports them.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Doubt Brentford will bring many so no problems on not been near their fans.

Should be a good game as they play good football. They would be the team I'd most like to go up after us. Amazing what they have achieved so far and got a mate who supports them.

I picked this game, apart from September being best for my friends, because of the way Brentford play.

3 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

The missus has just booked us in for Brentford as well, for the same footballing reasons. 

Probably quicker to fly in from Spain than our drive from the Sussex coast!

Hope your friends enjoy the experience, will say Hi if we spot you.

Which club do they support at home?

One's a Valencia supporter and the other Atlético Madrid.

7 hours ago, richinspain said:

One's a Valencia supporter and the other Atlético Madrid.

Been to Mestalla and Calderon. Great grounds and fans. Hope they enjoy PP as much as I enjoyed visiting theirs. Cobs and ale in the Brunny plus a good performances and win for Derby should do the trick.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, tomorrow we'll be flying over for this one. We're stopping in the Hallmark Inn on Midland Road, so a 2 minute walk to the Brunswick etc. What time do fans normally start to wander in to the pubs around there? Which are best recommendation for beer, atmosphere and possibly food? Will I get to meet any of you? If you see me (I'll be wearing my '69 replica shirt as always, with my blue and white scarf and accompanied by 2 Spanish chaps) please introduce yourself, it would be nice to put a voice and a face to at least some of the posters on here.

On 20/09/2018 at 21:01, richinspain said:

Well, tomorrow we'll be flying over for this one. We're stopping in the Hallmark Inn on Midland Road, so a 2 minute walk to the Brunswick etc. What time do fans normally start to wander in to the pubs around there? Which are best recommendation for beer, atmosphere and possibly food? Will I get to meet any of you? If you see me (I'll be wearing my '69 replica shirt as always, with my blue and white scarf and accompanied by 2 Spanish chaps) please introduce yourself, it would be nice to put a voice and a face to at least some of the posters on here.

Whisk them past Bubbles then take them into the Merry Widows at 11.00 to look at the rams memorabilia on the walls and a taste of a real English pub. Over to the Waterfall for a bite to eat, see a bit of the early Prem match on the telly, up to the Brunnie about 1.45 for some proper beer then walk under the road and alongside the old railway buildings (the Roundhouse etc) to Pride park. Get yer selfies at the Clough & Taylor statue (look out for the guy selling pin badges nearby) and a quick plastic lager in the fan Park tent if you have time.

Enjoy it mate!

Archived