Somethin’ Special

Gisby

Hi Ladies & Gents .... newbie signing in so please be gentle!! Rams fan ever since my grandad first took me to the BBG as a 9-10 year old in the early 70’s. Later on work commitments meant I couldn’t go as often as I would have liked and as a result I hung onto every word of Graham Richards!! Subsequently introduced my daughter to the joys of following the Rams and we both made the pilgrimage to Wembley only for QPR to rob us of our just deserts. Have followed the forum for the past few years and never before felt compelled to join in but the appointment of Frank has lit a spark in me like no other appointment of our numerous recent managers. I accept that he has no track record as a manager and is therefore unproven but I genuinely cannot believe how fortunate we are to have him as our manager. His persona\reputation commands the respect of the football community worldwide, he brings a premier league mentality to our club and players want to come to DCFC simply to work & play for him. I appreciate that we are only a stepping stone for Frank & his team as they are surely destined for greater things but in the meantime I think we should all get on board and enjoy the ride as I believe that we are entering a moment in our great clubs history that we will all remember for the rest of our days. Somethin’ special is happenin’. COYR. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I’m a season ticket holder but haven’t been to a pre season game except Notts County. Nevertheless I am excited about this season like almost never before. My lad went to his first game on the evening of the Ipswich 4-4. We haven’t missed a home game since. He loved the Mac1 433 magic, and so did I, more than any team since Jim Smith. The last year and a half has been hard work.

If I look back, I LOVED the Gabbiadini, Kitson, Simpson, Johnson, Pembridge years. Even though we didn’t go up. If Frank and Jody can bring us something even approaching that, with goals and passion and noise and even a cup draw against the Arsenal, bring it on......

COYR......

1 hour ago, Gisby said:

Hi Ladies & Gents .... newbie signing in so please be gentle!! Rams fan ever since my grandad first took me to the BBG as a 9-10 year old in the early 70’s. Later on work commitments meant I couldn’t go as often as I would have liked and as a result I hung onto every word of Graham Richards!! Subsequently introduced my daughter to the joys of following the Rams and we both made the pilgrimage to Wembley only for QPR to rob us of our just deserts. Have followed the forum for the past few years and never before felt compelled to join in but the appointment of Frank has lit a spark in me like no other appointment of our numerous recent managers. I accept that he has no track record as a manager and is therefore unproven but I genuinely cannot believe how fortunate we are to have him as our manager. His persona\reputation commands the respect of the football community worldwide, he brings a premier league mentality to our club and players want to come to DCFC simply to work & play for him. I appreciate that we are only a stepping stone for Frank & his team as they are surely destined for greater things but in the meantime I think we should all get on board and enjoy the ride as I believe that we are entering a moment in our great clubs history that we will all remember for the rest of our days. Somethin’ special is happenin’. COYR. 

Love it. That’s proper Rams/  football talk. We’ve all been passed the baton and it’s our duty to pass it on. It’s a life ambition of mine to get the nephews on board. They’re in West Yorkshire, have never been to a game but have Bradford and Rams kits (the influence of the playground and their grandad and uncle). They’ve ruled Leeds out so they’re ok by me!

As for Derby and Frank; sooner or later, we’re going all the way!

COYR

I hope you're right @Gisby

i'm trying to remind myself that we haven't even played a competitive game yet, and experience teaches us that anything can go wrong. E.g. Clement was very unlucky to lose hughes and bryson right at the start of the season. But....i'm impressed. 

I don't quite remember the arrival of brian clough, but there are some interesting parallels. He was a very young manager, close in age to the players, and they formed a special bond. He was an england international and record goal scorer so he commanded respect. He was bright and enthusiastic in those days. His signings were generally young players o'hare, mcfarland, robson. The team played football as it should be played - A high temp passing game that was great to watch. 

Ok its different as well. But this is so refreshing and exciting and unexpected.

Up the Rams!

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

i'm trying to remind myself that we haven't even played a competitive game yet, and experience teaches us that anything can go wrong. E.g. Clement was very unlucky to lose hughes and bryson right at the start of the season. But....i'm impressed. 

I don't quite remember the arrival of brian clough, but there are some interesting parallels. He was a very young manager, close in age to the players, and they formed a special bond. He was an england international and record goal scorer so he commanded respect. He was bright and enthusiastic in those days. His signings were generally young players o'hare, mcfarland, robson. The team played football as it should be played - A high temp passing game that was great to watch. 

Ok its different as well. But this is so refreshing and exciting and unexpected.

Up the Rams!

I was excited but now I am very excited. After hearing Frank barely contain himself on Rams TV after the game yesterday. I think he realises they (management team) are on to something. Come on you Rams!

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I was excited but now I am very excited. After hearing Frank barely contain himself on Rams TV after the game yesterday. I think he realises they (management team) are on to something. Come on you Rams!

...and whats nice is, he seems to genuinely like and appreciate the players. Therefore bryson is appreciated for what he does; not simply discarded because he isn't 6 foot 2.

Pearson and Rowett came with a pre-determined mindset that the same players weren't good enough and needed shaking up. Imagine what FL would have done with Will Hughes.

I never had even the slightest conviction that those managers were on the right track.

This one....??????????????????????????????????????????

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Up the Rams!

Absolutely @RamNut I wanted to draw comparisons to BC in my opening post but thought I’d waxed lyrical enough so chose not to, but I agree with everything you say about this. I truly do get the doubters and in weaker moments ask myself if my expectations aren’t built on false hopes however I always come back to the fact that Frank is a class act, has always been a model professional, comes with no baggage (that I’m aware of) & everyone in football appears to love him. Seem to recall @Boycie posted on another thread that he ‘had to pinch himself every time he sees a picture of Frank in DCFC training gear’ and this is exactly how I feel. Football is cyclical and our time is coming, just hope I’m right!!!

54 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Too right ..... his enthusiasm was palpable & infectious but what really got my juices flowing were his comments towards the end ...... ‘we will never settle......’ a message to the players and a warning to our rivals. Bring it on!!!

Ive been to 3 pre season games and I hope that the speed in the team came across on tv the same as being there. It’s frightening even for the prem teams we’ve played, their big defenders can’t match it. Wilson in particular is so rapid! The usual average championship defenders will hate playing us ? 

i think Frank is feeling the love even if the attendances at PP weren’t up to our usual enthusiastic numbers. 

Archived