Three full teams!

admira

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/07/2018 at 09:59, ramsbottom said:

MAYBE, when Redknapp on Talksport referred to Mel coming back from holiday to sign off on deals, he's referring to Mel signing off on contract pay offs?  I can't see us shifting the likes of Anya, Blackman, Martin (if needs be), or Johnson even on frees due to their rumoured wages...

Makes some sense, RB.

On 20/07/2018 at 10:06, Ambitious said:

He mentioned 'exciting' signings... I don't think releasing Anya on a free is an exciting signing. I do get the point, though, we do need to shift some of these. 

I'm just not sure that we are so willing to shift them on a free. I don't think it would be difficult for any of them to find clubs, but the wage demands come into it. I guess with some, we could subsidise wages to help spark a move, i.e. Anya. 

Yes good points. I thought Mel had indicated he wanted DCFC to be run more frugally. That wouldn't equate to paying up big contracts & giving away good players. I do appreciate that it's a very bloated squad. 

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Burton are in desperate need of decent players. Could see likes of Guy and Elsnik going there on loan. 

Burton could be a good platform for a few of our better young players, providing Clough wants them. 

Guy, Elsnik, potentially even Thomas? I can see Clough doing well with Thomas, mini Jamie Ward. Elsnik, like Hendrick & Guy like Bryson. He's got the team back together just the next generation. Unfortunately we don't have anything for Sammon. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Burton could be a good platform for a few of our better young players, providing Clough wants them. 

Guy, Elsnik, potentially even Thomas? I can see Clough doing well with Thomas, mini Jamie Ward. Elsnik, like Hendrick & Guy like Bryson. He's got the team back together just the next generation. Unfortunately we don't have anything for Sammon. 

Blackman?

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Jerome is like Sammon, but he can shoot and head the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's have another go at this. After all, after tonight our squad will never be this big again. Still 4-4-2 due to the number of strikers on the books:

Carson
Malone
Wisdom
Davies
Keogh
Wilson
Huddlestone
Mount
Lawrence
Waghorn
Martin

Mitchell
Forsyth
Hanson
Pearce
Tomori
Jozefzoon
Evans
Bryson
Thomas
Marriott
Nugent

Roos
Lowe
Anya
Elsnik
Butterfield
Thorne
Ledley
Bennett
Johnson
Blackman
Jerome

Also ...
Olssen
Bogle
Guy
Gordon
McAllister
Bird

For now, the pressure is not on Frank because he did not sign the players that most want out. If results are not good. Then. Pressure comes on Frank. At Xmas the pressure moves onto out of contract players to take less cash here or at another club but if here then on one year rolling contracts. The gravy train is at the menders. Are our new signings better than the older signings were when they arrived? Only time will tell. 

If the club can afford a huge squad then I don't have an issue. 10 players out of contract at the end of the season, so that brings squad numbers down significantly. This will come together as long as Frank is delivering some decent performances on the pitch and Mel doesn't pull the trigger when we inevitably have a bad run of form.

I've disagreed with many of the chairman's decisions in the past but one thing he does right is have a love for the club. He wouldn't let in run into the ground with an FFP penalty.

8 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

If the club can afford a huge squad then I don't have an issue. 10 players out of contract at the end of the season, so that brings squad numbers down significantly. This will come together as long as Frank is delivering some decent performances on the pitch and Mel doesn't pull the trigger when we inevitably have a bad run of form.

I've disagreed with many of the chairman's decisions in the past but one thing he does right is have a love for the club. He wouldn't let in run into the ground with an FFP penalty.

That’s always been my point. If mel (or his people) are confident that we’re still within ffp, then there’s really no problem - besides the potential side effect of unrest - but I don’t think that will be an issue, as everyone must no the score. You’re not getting a game, but you can sit here on your far contract til it runs out next summer, just don’t cause any trouble. 

Why are people suggesting things like ‘surely we must get rid of Pearce before we bring in another centre half?’

why must we? Why must we be forced to play with a 6/10 centre half of we have the opportunity to bring in an 8/10 centre half? If we can afford it, bring him in. Then sort out getting rid of those surplus to requirements later. 

Clubs like qpr and Aston Villa pissed me off when they bought all the players, cos they were doing it with parachute payments, with the intention of buying the league. 

Were not doing that. We’re improving on the current players in the squad, buying players to better fit a new system, with the full intention to get a lot of older players out now or st least by next summer. 

There’s a clear plan in place, so there’s no problem. 

(This is of course trusting that Mel hasn’t just abandoned his belief in ffp and said ‘duck it, if you can’t beat em, join em’)

I was just looking at this, this morning.

It's bonkers, frankly.

If we stick to 433:

Lawrence, Waghorn, Wilson

Mount, Huddlestone, Bryson

Malone, Davies, Tomori, Wisdom

Carson

Jozefzoon, Marriott, Bennett

Elsnik, Evans, Johnson

Lowe, Pearce, Keogh, Bogle

Mitchell

Anya, Martin, Thomas

Guy, Thorne, Butterfield

Olsson, Forsyth, Hanson, Eyoma

Roos

So maybe i'm stretching it by sticking Eyoma in the third team, but these don't even include Ledley (who I do rate, just don't think he fits the system as well as the other midfielders we have (if fully fit and firing), Nuge (Martin is better in a 4-3-3, Jerome, Blackman

When two players who wouldn't get into your third team accounted for 15 goals last year, you've got too many players!

Also, hi. Been a lurker for too long.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Should the DET pay the forum a fiinder's fee for generating these stories?

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-derby-county-xis-frank-1880176

Definitely!  I  don't know if Steve Nicholson has an account on here but he often creates stories on topics we are already talking about.

I suppose if it's of interest to us, it will be to others.

Archived