Academy issues?

5 hours ago, cannable said:

Do you not need a certain number of staff to be Cat 1?

Yes. From memory the min ratio was 1 coach to 8 academy players.

again from memory, we had a total of 69 coaches / management staff

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

There's also the usual business practice of spending your budget because if you don't you'll not bloody well have it again.

Correct......in the civil service Budget is your only "product" and is guarded jealously.

in business, you typically are rewarded for hitting KPIs first - miss those, and coming in "under budget" won't save you.......

On 13/06/2018 at 08:23, Spanish said:

what is that they say , those that can do, those that can't teach?

I’ve always thought this phrase should read ‘those who can, do. Those who can do it so well that they’re able to break it down into manageable chunks for other people to understand, teach.’ 

Much more accurate. 

I’d be massively disappointed if we dropped to Cat 2. As the academy budget has no bearing on FFP, it would just show that Mel isn’t as invested as he once was. I wouldn’t blame him for the amount of stick he gets, but quite clearly worrying with regards to future prospects. 

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I’d be massively disappointed if we dropped to Cat 2. As the academy budget has no bearing on FFP, it would just show that Mel isn’t as invested as he once was. I wouldn’t blame him for the amount of stick he gets, but quite clearly worrying with regards to future prospects. 

Presumably a "re-examining" of what actually needs to be spent on the Cat 1 status has been done by the club (even if we are dropping to cat 2)

23 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

As an aside, up here in Leeds, they’ve flooded their U23 and U18 sides with dropouts from Barcelona, Real Madrid and Benfica academies. Don’t know if it will be successful but may fit better with their new manager..

Interesting tactic to be fair. At what age are they getting recruited?

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Doubt whether its anything to do with stick. Its surely just that anyones pockets are only so deep.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Interesting tactic to be fair. At what age are they getting recruited?

I don’t know. I was just told by a parent of a lad who was on their books for a number of years, who was then dropped at 16 that the academy was now full of the afore mentioned youth...

21 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I don’t know. I was just told by a parent of a lad who was on their books for a number of years, who was then dropped at 16 that the academy was now full of the afore mentioned youth...

The parent was probably exaggerating. Possibly bitter about their son being dropped. I can hear it now "damn foreigners coming over here taking all our academy places" 

It's a sad fact, that parents of young footballers need to accept and prepare their kids for, the vast majority of budding young stars of the future simply don't make it. Even being on the books of a major prem league club in no way guarantees success. 

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The parent was probably exaggerating. Possibly bitter about their son being dropped. I can hear it now "damn foreigners coming over here taking all our academy places" 

It's a sad fact, that parents of young footballers need to accept and prepare their kids for, the vast majority of budding young stars of the future simply don't make it. Even being on the books of a major prem league club in no way guarantees success. 

I hear what you’re saying and the parent may have exaggerated the numbers. Here’s an article from a Leeds source mentioning the point about the academy...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/the72.co.uk/105864/leeds-united-make-first-signing-youth-player/amp/

5 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

A Leeds fan told me the same thing. 

Archived