Academy issues?

There are several clubs who have relinquished cat one status for business reasons though

Deciding that the compensation for losing young players doesn't make up for the extra investment needed

Forest are cat two and have made way more profit from selling academy players last couple of years than many cat one clubs

Being honest more down to luck than judgement I think at Forest. Your academy blows the Forest academy away in terms of facilities at least. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The Academy has it's own budget now, seems pretty normal that they need to reign in overspending. Get rid of everything under 16.. 

That would be going down to Cat 4! Below Burton Albion and Notts County and same as Mansfield Town

Bit extreme!

All you can do is officially sign players released from other clubs aged 16 if you are cat 4. You can still run junior teams under the age of 16 but have no protection from a pro club just cherry picking your best players with zero compensation every season. That's cat 4.

There's no way with your facilities you will ever drop below cat 3 at the very least. 

Watford made a business decision to drop from cat one to cat three a few years ago which saves nearly 2m a season 

They since went back up to cat two I think

54 minutes ago, Interestedparty said:

That would be going down to Cat 4! Below Burton Albion and Notts County and same as Mansfield Town

Bit extreme!

All you can do is officially sign players released from other clubs aged 16 if you are cat 4. You can still run junior teams under the age of 16 but have no protection from a pro club just cherry picking your best players with zero compensation every season. That's cat 4.

There's no way with your facilities you will ever drop below cat 3 at the very least. 

Watford made a business decision to drop from cat one to cat three a few years ago which saves nearly 2m a season 

They since went back up to cat two I think

The whole Cat system is flawed.. Would be interesting to see how many U8s, 9s & U10s make it to U16 or U18. 

The academy cost 6mil per annum. For what at those lower age groups?

17 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Don't tell Ramnut, but technically all the academy players owe their souls to Mel Morris and the academy has the right to refer them to "the farm" for processing if they disappoint him.

Wum

The compensation system is nothing to do with MM. 

With regards to the action taken to reduce costs, they are doing absolutely the right thing. My observation that we were over-spending on it seems to have been justified.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yes I was WUMMing you.

Why?

because i happen to have expressed the view that if the FA want an elite performance plan and an academy system ultimately for the benefit of the national team then why not fund it?

if they did we wouldn't have the silly compensation / transfer fees between clubs for 12 year olds.

Sorry for holding a different opinion.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why?

because i happen to have expressed the view that if the FA want an elite performance plan and an academy system ultimately for the benefit of the national team then why not fund it?

if they did we wouldn't have the silly compensation / transfer fees between clubs for 12 year olds.

Sorry for holding a different opinion.

Thinking of hounding someone else out of the forum, are you?

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Thinking of hounding someone else out of the forum, are you?

Lol. he wound himself up. I refrained from responding except to correct all the mis-quoting. 

Archived