Academy issues?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard while back the main youth scout has gone to Forest, and also lost a lot of young ones to various other development centres and academies, this ain’t just happened..... 

My understanding has been that the academy has been all a bit jobs for the boys, people enjoying the cushy roles. A good thing if we are looking to address that.

Reminds me of some people who play musical instruments, buy the best instrument they can and think it makes them a top player and forgetting the hard work and dedication it actually requires.

2 hours ago, BondJovi said:

My understanding has been that the academy has been all a bit jobs for the boys, people enjoying the cushy roles. A good thing if we are looking to address that.

Reminds me of some people who play musical instruments, buy the best instrument they can and think it makes them a top player and forgetting the hard work and dedication it actually requires.

That would explain losing coaches

It doesn't explain stopping day release training from schools or stopping the food for players on site.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the academy going forward.

If they've conducted a review and found it overfunded and overstaffed, I wonder who carried it out?

Bean counters or football folk?

Are we stripping back from unnecessary expense over and above Cat 1 status, or are we readying ourselves for a step down in status?

These are the sort of questions we should be asking, before making any assumptions, might be nice to hear something from the club sooner rather than later, otherwise gossip and 3rd hand retellings become gospel.

6 hours ago, reveldevil said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with the academy going forward.

If they've conducted a review and found it overfunded and overstaffed, I wonder who carried it out?

Bean counters or football folk?

Are we stripping back from unnecessary expense over and above Cat 1 status, or are we readying ourselves for a step down in status?

These are the sort of questions we should be asking, before making any assumptions, might be nice to hear something from the club sooner rather than later, otherwise gossip and 3rd hand retellings become gospel.

Deffo wont be a step down.the players that have gone or going will be ones we didnt want or deem good enough.cat 1 stops top teams taking our best youngsters without good payment

Sith Happens
17 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Heard while back the main youth scout has gone to Forest, and also lost a lot of young ones to various other development centres and academies, this ain’t just happened..... 

Surprises me, forests record with their academy is already better than ours.

14 hours ago, SecretDave said:

Maybe this is the start of the Lampard and Morris revolution of the academy. Make things run a bit more slick with less chiefs... 

Well the bits ive heard haven't gone down well with parents. They make choices on where their kids sign and are promised lots from clubs they visit. To lose significant stuff like day release training etc is going to make many think they are now at the wrong academy

I can't possibly believe that Lampard would want any of this being linked to his arrival at the club. 

56 minutes ago, Interestedparty said:

Well the bits ive heard haven't gone down well with parents. They make choices on where their kids sign and are promised lots from clubs they visit. To lose significant stuff like day release training etc is going to make many think they are now at the wrong academy

I can't possibly believe that Lampard would want any of this being linked to his arrival at the club. 

Presumably FL and JM will be able to discuss their plans with the academy management DW etc. But I was under the impression the academy management was separated from 1st team?

This is something of a non story, probably dramatised by an ex employee or a parent who's little joy wasn't good enough.

Successful companies review, reorganise, restructure all of the time, it's the only way to know that investment is being made optimally and that waste is minimised. I work for a global financial services company, I've lost count of how many processes like this we've been through - Company still produces great products and services, and makes billions of dollars. Plus ca change and stop getting your knickers in a twist.

8 minutes ago, timmo said:

Doesn't reflect well on Wassall however you look at it. Seems under his tenure money has been thrown around like confetti. The apparent overspend has happened on his watch 

Just shows people commentng on things that are based on total rumours.NONE of this if true at all is a big surprise considering that mel has openly said "we need to get our house in order". Things have to change as money is not being used as well as it should.gonna be lots more rumours im sure of sacked staff and replaced by drones no doubt.all this has come from someone who says hes heard a rumour.

3 hours ago, timmo said:

Doesn't reflect well on Wassall however you look at it. Seems under his tenure money has been thrown around like confetti. The apparent overspend has happened on his watch 

Do you seriously believe that Wassall is the one who does the budget and financial decision and or are responsible for those? I thought he was coaching youngsters to be better players.

2 hours ago, Ramet said:

Just shows people commentng on things that are based on total rumours.NONE of this if true at all is a big surprise considering that mel has openly said "we need to get our house in order". Things have to change as money is not being used as well as it should.gonna be lots more rumours im sure of sacked staff and replaced by drones no doubt.all this has come from someone who says hes heard a rumour.

But has also been verified by people not based on rumour.

I don't claim to be #ITK but can pretty much assure you that the 'rumours' on here are very accurate, with the exception of losing a player to Everton, which I haven't heard about.

Exactly @CHCDerby. You get to meet a lot of parents, grandparents and assorted hangers-on at under 23 games and they are always moaning about something or other that the club isn't doing for their little starlet ( who, of course is always being held back by this rather than their limited football talent!)

Yet some people can't wait to jump in and use it as something else to beat the club up about.

4 hours ago, timmo said:

Wassall  will have had a budget, he will have been kept to that budget, now the club may have decided to reduce or reorganise that budget, it’s normal business practice, end of. Very unlikely that anyone posting here will have any visibility of this by the way.

Archived