World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

the England set up is just obsessed and blinkered towards anyone who plays for Man Utd Liverpool Spurs Man City or Chelsea, if Lingard Sterling or Alli were at Burnley Crystal Palace or Watford they would never get picked and i for one don't really care how they get on . Rams over England by a mile all day long ! 

Disagree - under Southgate, Burnley have had FIVE players capped for England in not much more than 12 months - Keane, Heaton, Cork, Tarkowski and Pope.

As for Watford, they only have a couple of English players while Palace's best English player has, for some reason, chosen to play for the Ivory Coast.

13 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Disagree - under Southgate, Burnley have had FIVE players capped for England in not much more than 12 months - Keane, Heaton, Cork, Tarkowski and Pope.

As for Watford, they only have a couple of English players while Palace's best English player has, for some reason, chosen to play for the Ivory Coast.

To be fair I just plucked 3 mid prem teams out of the air without knowing who plays for them apart from Hughesy !!

17 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Am curious that everyone has assumed we'll beat Panama.

OK, we probably will,  but until we have, lets not get crazy.

A nil nil v Panama and we would need a point v Belgium to be sure. 

I think we will score but much depends on the defence that looked uncomfortable on the ball which surprised me.  we must provide them with an outlet because I can't imagine anything can be done to improve them in the short term.  Maybe it was just nerves and we will see a more assured performance next time.  They are prem players after all 

Thought we did well overall tbf - there are times in the past when England teams would have got more and more frustrated and seen games peter out, so to be still creating chances and then score at the death is great progress for me.

Some individuals didn't have the best nights and Sterling consistently seems to get away from trouble with his pace and then make the wrong decision and end up back in trouble but they are niggles really.

I suspect it won't be a much changed line up for the next match - Rose for Young and maybe Loftus Cheek for Alli (if unfit) or Lingard (to change it up). Otherwise they all deserve a second go.

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not being funny, how didn't we get a penalty there? Oh well. Kane is an absolute finishing machine, love it.

Same as watching any game in the UK. Shocking how anyone gets away with it but it seems to be accepted. Was not surprised we did not get those. 

If I was playing in this world cup, I would be going down at the slightest touch in the box. They seem to be given all the time. How many pens so far in this tournament?

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

A win is a win. With GD it's likely we'll have to beat Belgium if we want to finish top of the group unless we smash Panama by five or six goals which is very unlikely. 

Finishing second might be just what we need, especially as the Germans have slipped up.

Too often teams opt for the more difficult route. Arsenal anyone.. Last 16 and get Barca or Munich.. Bye Bye.

9 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

the England set up is just obsessed and blinkered towards anyone who plays for Man Utd Liverpool Spurs Man City or Chelsea, if Lingard Sterling or Alli were at Burnley Crystal Palace or Watford they would never get picked and i for one don't really care how they get on . Rams over England by a mile all day long ! 

Sterling's just had his best ever season in the PL, he's not quite doing it for England but we wanted people picked on merit, not sure how you can argue with his inclusion. Alli whilst hasn't been at the same standard as the previous season still has been one of Spurs most important players, clearly demonstrating his ability at the highest level you can play at club football. Lingard is probably the only one I'm not massively convinced by from what I've seen but a quick google shows 13 goals in 48 games for Manchester United, again, hard to argue. 

Who else is there?

11 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Sterling's just had his best ever season in the PL, he's not quite doing it for England but we wanted people picked on merit, not sure how you can argue with his inclusion. Alli whilst hasn't been at the same standard as the previous season still has been one of Spurs most important players, clearly demonstrating his ability at the highest level you can play at club football. Lingard is probably the only one I'm not massively convinced by from what I've seen but a quick google shows 13 goals in 48 games for Manchester United, again, hard to argue. 

Who else is there?

To be fair, lingard has bagged a few decent ones for England recently too, and Allí is probably picked as much for his proven chemistry with Kane. 

@Seaside Ram is missing the power of compatibility. If, for example (as I think has happened in the past), Chelsea have the strongest defence in the premier league, and they’re mostly all English, then you just pick that whole back line. Maybe West Ham have a better centre back than Cahill, but if Cahill and Terry work so we’ll together, then don’t break them up. 

Its the same with Alli and Kane. 

Scotland should have done be same with Bryson and Martin in their hay day, but they never played them together. 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

I think we will score but much depends on the defence that looked uncomfortable on the ball which surprised me.

Didn't surprise me. I think they would be happier playing as a back four. #simples

Great performance last night. If Lingard decided to put his Man Utd instead of Derby boots on, we would have been out of sight first half. Tunisia fouls every 5 mins didn’t help and being robbed by VAR.... just seems we never ever get decisions going our way. 

I think Belgium will find it tough against Tunisia, they couldn’t break down Panama for 45mins

9 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Great performance last night. If Lingard decided to put his Man Utd instead of Derby boots on, we would have been out of sight first half. Tunisia fouls every 5 mins didn’t help and being robbed by VAR.... just seems we never ever get decisions going our way. 

I think Belgium will find it tough against Tunisia, they couldn’t break down Panama for 45mins

tunisia were hopeless on the left side if they don't sort it our Belgium will score again and again

Archived