World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I really do believe you think you're on Mr & Mrs

Showing your age..... I’m a face for radio.....

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

My goodness it's depressing on here. I wish some of you would look back at what you have written during the match. Nothing but highlighting faults. 

Some want Martin and Bryson to start next game.....

13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Just watched Lineker and Shearer celebrating England's second goal. Frank looked very calm sat next to them. I hope he'll get more excited when Derby score.

He was being a professional. Left a great impression not only on myself but many fans who are not looking for pundits to be full on homers.

Really big result to get the win in the end, would've meant having to get something from the Belgium game to guarantee a place in the next round. Now all we need to do is beat Panama and it's job done.

I don't really care how we played or how we won tonight, the result is the only thing that matters. If we failed to win, it would've been solely due to the ref. I know refs get a lot of undeserved slack but some of his decisions were abysmal today. The Tunisia penalty was soft. I can see why it was given in real time, it looks like Walker elbows him. No excuses to have his arms that high but he was shielding the ball and the player ran into him and dropped to the ground. If they really checked that via VAR, I don't think the penalty would've been given. We were 1-0 up and playing really well. In complete control and the penalty's given. Knocked our confidence and the game changed a bit then.

Then we had two absolute stonewall penalties, ten times more of a foul than the one that was actually given. What's the point of VAR if things like that aren't given? Surely incidents like that are exactly what it's meant to be there for? Again we would've regained our lead pretty quickly and wouldn't have had to try and break down 10 players behind the ball.

I'm not criticising how Tunisia approached the game, but finding it difficult to break them down isn't going to have an impact in the latter stages should we get there. We won't have teams sitting back like that and we tend to look better against sides on a slightly higher level to us. Panama will have to try and win to stay in the tournament so we *should* have a little more space to create in the next game. In my opinion that Kane header has basically put us through already. Very happy.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I only managed to watch the 2nd half. It was crap but I guess that wasn't all England's fault as they were playing against a team who weren't interested in leaving their own half, time-wasted at every opportunity and constantly broke up play with niggly fouls.

England's passing was too slow. Maguire looked awesome going forward though, a real powerhouse surging through.

A win is a win. With GD it's likely we'll have to beat Belgium if we want to finish top of the group unless we smash Panama by five or six goals which is very unlikely. 

England were far better 1st half, stuffing went out of them with the penalty decisions and alli's injury. Subs freshened things up a bit ... A big win v Panama is very possible I think. 

32 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I've been wondering why in Olympics you guys are team Great Britain but in football as a separated nation?

Anyone?

In the olympics we compete in athletics etc. as Great Britain, always have done. It’s funny that I’m the commonwealth games we then compete as separate counties, so you’ve got team mates against each other.

It was only in the London games that the other football federations begrudgingly allowed a Great Britain team to be formed. They would never allow it otherwise, for fear of loosing their own national identities. They realise that a Great Britain football team would basically be made up of 95% English players, and Gareth Bale. The Scottish wouldn’t really like that. 

Also, I suspect it would be a bit like MK Dons, in that a lot of us Englanders would be a bit miffed that team GB now gets credit for our many, many awards and accolades (ie one World Cup). 

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Ref was poo.

Play was far too slow.

No energy second half.

Did Kane touch the ball apart from the goals?

Tunisia were horrible slimy *****.

BUT we got the win and that was all that matters.

Exactly!

Who cares, he can touch the ball as little or as many times as he did tonight in every game for me provided he has the same goal return. ??

Very easy to say England made it difficult in the second half, but Tunisia came out with a game plan in the second half that didn’t slip until the final minute. They were in our face and broke the game down at every opportunity. 

Well played England for taking the chances at the death and giving us the salvation of scoring a last minute winner

17 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Exactly!

Who cares, he can touch the ball as little or as many times as he did tonight in every game for me provided he has the same goal return. ??

Kane showed exactly what he’s about there. 2 chances, 2 goals. As apposed to, say, lingard, 4 chances, no goals. 

the England set up is just obsessed and blinkered towards anyone who plays for Man Utd Liverpool Spurs Man City or Chelsea, if Lingard Sterling or Alli were at Burnley Crystal Palace or Watford they would never get picked and i for one don't really care how they get on . Rams over England by a mile all day long ! 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Just watched Lineker and Shearer celebrating England's second goal. Frank looked very calm sat next to them. I hope he'll get more excited when Derby score.

He can burst into tears if we score 3 a game for all I care.

Too many people associate going mental with actual desire, and even passion.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

England were far better 1st half, stuffing went out of them with the penalty decisions and alli's injury. Subs freshened things up a bit ... A big win v Panama is very possible I think. 

It’s a shame we play Belgium last, as I want to see how we’d fare with both teams going full throttle.

As it is, that game is going to be a dead rubber. Both teams will have qualified, and there seems little advantage in finishing top when considering the teams in group H. Poland and Colombia are decent, but neither are WC contenders and the gap between them isn’t that big so that you’d definitely prefer to avoid one of them.

Both England and Belgium won’t want to risk injuries in that final game, so it’ll likely be a slow-paced gentle friendly-type match with little intensity and half-hearted challenges.

Bring on the last 16 already. 

Archived