England v Nigeria

What was Welbeck doing there. 

Ah well, decent friendly. It's shown that this shape probably plays to our squads strengths and protects against our weaknesses as well as any. 

But it's also shown that if an athletic side lines up man-for-man we don't find it easy to locate space. Food for thought for the management, which is what you want. You don't want to find out where you struggle in the World Cup. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought England were poor all game. The reason they looked good in the first half was because Nigeria didn't turn up until the second half.

Unless England up their game I can't see them staying in Russia any longer than they managed in Brazil.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

Thought England were poor all game. The reason they looked good in the first half was because Nigeria didn't turn up until the second half.

Unless England up their game I can't see them staying in Russia any longer than they managed in Brazil.

Hate this kind of support. We're only good because the opposition is crap. Do you find it impossible to ever praise us? We were good in the first half, we MADE them look bad. 

33 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

This is what warm up games are for.

And as Andicis says, Nigeria didn't get going in the first half because we didn't let them.

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Hate this kind of support. We're only good because the opposition is crap. Do you find it impossible to ever praise us? We were good in the first half, we MADE them look bad. 

If we were so good in the first half, then worryingly the question that must be ask is why we were so poor second half. It can't be purely down to an improved performance from a bang average Nigerian team.

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

If we were so good in the first half, then worryingly the question that must be ask is why we were so poor second half. It can't be purely down to an improved performance from a bang average Nigerian team.

They upped the intensity, changed formation and started fast. We still managed the game fine. We were poor in the second half in part due to the fact that so many subs completely interrupted any flow, and it was just a warm up game to get the players back in shape. 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Our support is the pits.... Germany lost today...do you think they are all saying negative rubbish comments...? 

9 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

'One night in Turin' on the history channel. Brilliant film / documentary about Italia 90. Different days, great memories. 

That semi-final is still the only football match where I had tears in my eyes afterwards.

11 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Our support is the pits.... Germany lost today...do you think they are all saying negative rubbish comments...? 

Yes some Germans probably did moan about the performance of their team, just as some English fans, The Germans know their team will as they usually do turn up and perform well at the world cup, how many English fans, hand on heart, can say the same.

Saying after a match you were disappointed by the level of your teams performance, doesn't make you a poor supporter. If thats the case a large number of poster on this site are poor supporters of Derby.

If I'd been at Wembley I would have gave my whole hearted support to England during the game. The same as I do when I'm watching the Rams. The so called fans who boo during, at half-time and the end of the game are the pits.

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

That semi-final is still the only football match where I had tears in my eyes afterwards.

One of my biggest regrets was not going to follow Scotland in Genoa / Turin. At 19 I thought there would be many more opportunities. 

Even though the film was about England, all the music and clips brought back loads of good memories about that time. 

That England team had serious quality, but were lucky against Cameroon and Belgium. You should of buried Germany long before penalties. 

If you weren’t enthused by what we saw in that match then you’d be better off not tuning in this summer... brilliant first half, could and should have been out of sight but I guess that’s the inexperience! 

Alli switches off once, they score, but after a little while we were back into it. RLC got into some good positions and put in some teasing balls. Only downside for me is not seeing Vardy or Lallana. Also didn’t think Dier did himself any favours but other than that I enjoyed the performance. We genuinely look like we have a plan and it’ll take some tweaking in time but these players with 2 years more experience plus Sessegnon and Sancho knocking on the door... a lot to be positive about.

Archived