England v Nigeria

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

One thing I've noticed is that our attacks have been bypassing Kane so far. We'll start to feel it if we don't include our best finisher in them. 

Oh look, they included Kane in an attack. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair a warm-up friendly that maintained that first half wouldn't have been much use in terms of getting used to the system. Gotta play the system when you're against it to really learn things.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

That was a good goal by Nigeria tbf, don’t really like the defence we’ve got out today even tho the rest of the team is good. Need maguire in there

Aye from what they've said Maguire is still first choice, just not fully fit.

It's worth noting that a team approaching the tactics of this game as a friendly (such as making 4 subs at half time in order to change your formation) rather than a World Cup warm up (where you make subs and changes as if its a competitive game) does have a hefty advantage. 

57 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think Maguire is the only player missing from Southgate's go to 11 and I agree it looks very efficient. Good to watch so far too

Henderson and Rose too probably. The great thing with this formation is that against the weaker teams we can play many attacking midfielders to create chances for Kane (Alli, Sterling and Lingard) and also have the wing backs to help.

Against the top teams to make us more solid we can add another centre back and move Walker to right wing back. Then Dier, Henderson and Alli in midfield. I’d then have Vardy and Kane up front against the top teams. Vardy would be lethal as top teams are more likely to leave space in behind. 

First time I’ve been excited about England’s chances since the 2002 World Cup . We may not have as talented players as the golden generation but these players suit the system and know their roles.

Archived