Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, I understand that we don’t have many saleable assets and a lot of deadwood.

I am not saying keep Vydra and sign Marriott and Waghorn on top of that. Of course that would be irresponsible and totally unnecessary.

I get selling Vydra if needs must and it will actively help us to cut costs. 

But in fact financially there is almost an equal flow of transfer movement in and out, so what is the gain? The squad is not getting any smaller and the wage bill is probably unmoved.

For me, if I had a choice, keep Vydra or sell him and reinvest a similar amount on two players who are more of a risk?

I’d stick with Vydra.

Outs: 

Russell, Weimann, Shackell, Bent, Baird

Ins:

Wilson, Jozefzoon, Mount, Marriott 

Likely: 

Waghorn in, Vydra out. 

More out than in (granted only by one) but wages will have dropped dramatically id imagine as well as making a net profit in fees. 

I can can us losing some midfielders and strikers if I’m honest before the transfer window. We’ve had a decent transfer window. Most exciting in a while I’d say? 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Martin injured 

Aware of this, but when a player is part of your plans, there is a eagerness for them to be involved in whatever way possible, whether it’s on the pitch or off it.

Think about George Thorne when he was injured. He was always in and amongst it.

You want them to be part of the squad on pre season tours, you want them to feature in pre-season friendlies, not behind closed doors friendlies set up for scouts.

If Martin was in Frank’s plans, would we even need Marriott or Waghorn?

It’s just disappointing we are losing proven quality in Vydra and seemingly Martin will follow suit.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Aware of this, but when a player is part of your plans, there is a eagerness for them to be involved in whatever way possible, whether it’s on the pitch or off it.

You want them to be part of the squad on pre season tours, you want them to feature in pre-season friendlies, not behind closed doors friendlies set up for scouts.

It’s just disappointing we are losing proven quality in Vydra and seemingly Martin will follow suit.

If we assume Martin has this illness and I think that that is a fair assumption, then no one will buy him. 

I think we would also struggle to loan him out at decent terms.

Not that I want him to go. He was the fulcrum for the best football I have seen at Derby in decades.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Vydra pays for Josefzoon, Marriott and Waghorn.

We have also sold Weimann and released Baird, Bent and Shackell. Our wages will have dropped accordingly.

We obviously want to get rid of more but I fear it will be mainly loans now.

Wages wouldn't have dropped that much as we are back paying the full wages of the ones we had out on loan-Martin, Bryson, Butterfield etc...

3 hours ago, David said:

Say we do that, sell four players and cover the cost of selling Vydra.

Where does he fit in the team?

4-3-3 looks to be the formation, where do we place him?

In the extremely fluid front three probably for 30 or 60 minutes. We have got about five players who can give Vydra the ball from where he can score a goal. Hope we have signed someone who can get 22 goals from wherever they play in whatever formation

8 minutes ago, Rampage said:

In the extremely fluid front three probably for 30 or 60 minutes. We have got about five players who can give Vydra the ball from where he can score a goal. Hope we have signed someone who can get 22 goals from wherever they play in whatever formation

No position then, just stick Vydra on the pitch somewhere near the goal, do away with formations and ask the 5 players to just give it Vydra when he has a eye on goal?

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Outs: 

Russell, Weimann, Shackell, Bent, Baird

Ins:

Wilson, Jozefzoon, Mount, Marriott 

Likely: 

Waghorn in, Vydra out. 

More out than in (granted only by one) but wages will have dropped dramatically id imagine as well as making a net profit in fees. 

I can can us losing some midfielders and strikers if I’m honest before the transfer window. We’ve had a decent transfer window. Most exciting in a while I’d say? 

Ins are also Martin, Blackman, Bryson and Butterfield given we didn't pay their wages last year (Paid Martin's for first half)

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Two points why I'm not upset he's going - 

1 - He's the only player we can make a profit on.

2 - He doesn't fit our manager's preferred 4-3-3, even if we sometimes play 4-2-3-1 as we did last season, Frank will want a No 10 who can knit things together and create chances for the wingers and main strikers, with intricate balls round the corner.  Vydra, won't give you that.  That's why we have Mount.

Martin is a strange one, as we know that in a 4-3-3 he can be the man to make it all tick, but I guess Frank doesn't fancy him.  I guess as ever with him, mobility is the biggest concern.  Because I love the guy, I hope Schteve comes in for him before before the window closes and they can live happily ever after...  Bar the two times we play them!!!

7 minutes ago, David said:

No position then, just stick Vydra on the pitch somewhere near the goal, do away with formations and ask the 5 players to just give it Vydra when he has a eye on goal?

Do away with a regimental 3 up front, yes. Probably have five attacking at once plus killer long balls from Hudd equals loads of chances coming someone's way, Vydra proven chance taker. Never been convinced that formations win matches. Set pieces, defensive mistakes and lethal finishers account for at least 70% of goals that I see. Not the formation that counts more the player quality in the team. 

1 minute ago, Rampage said:

Do away with a regimental 3 up front, yes. Probably have five attacking at once plus killer long balls from Hudd equals loads of chances coming someone's way, Vydra proven chance taker. Never been convinced that formations win matches. Set pieces, defensive mistakes and lethal finishers account for at least 70% of goals that I see. Not the formation that counts more the player quality in the team. 

Rush keeper as well? Take it in turns, someone else goes in after each goal is conceded

Just now, David said:

Rush keeper as well? Take it in turns, someone else goes in after each goal is conceded

I do not think that playing our ex CEO in goal will help. ?

I am expecting most of our goals to come from interplay between Lawrence, Wilson, Marriott, Mount , Lowe and Bryson. Vydra is fast and would get 20 goals from that interplay because he can ram a fast pass straight in the net. We know that Frank will change systems during the game without using a sub hence flexible system not rigid 433.

I can see why people say he does not fit 433 but I am unhappy about letting Vydra go when he has 20 goals a season in him. Let's see how many his replacement gets, then we will know if it was a good idea. 

57 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Ins are also Martin, Blackman, Bryson and Butterfield given we didn't pay their wages last year (Paid Martin's for first half)

We also don’t know what percentage of those wages were paid by the clubs that loaned them 

Archived