Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

We're not selling a 22 goal player though.

We're selling a 15 goal man. Just need to make sure someone else can score 7 out of 8 penalties.

Didn't I read somewhere that he won most of them penalties?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutted Vyds is going. He was outstanding last season and with players supporting think he could’ve adapted to a central role in a front 3 and still been lethal. However, with the FFP constraints this was inevitable. Gets his wages off the books, big transfer fee which gives us more room to wheel and deal in the market.

Squad is looking great, Waghorn will be a good addition. I think we need one more box to box midfielder and then we’re done. I’d love to see Bayliss from Cov come in or get Onomah on Loan from Spurs who was at Villa last season.

More outs needed - Nugent, Anya, Jerome/Martin, Blackman, Johnson, Butterfield, along with Thorne out on Loan. Then I think we will have a really balanced squad capable of another top 6 finish.

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

We're selling a 15 goal man. Just need to make sure someone else can score 7 out of 8 penalties.

You're right, although it was 14 goals from open play & 21 goals - Championship goals anyway. 

We also need to replace him with someone who can finish 90 minutes. I looked it up earlier in the summer, but he's finished less than 30 games throughout his career. It was something like 11 games in the last three/four years or something. I imagine this is one of the reasons managers decided to go elsewhere. 

15 minutes ago, Norman said:

Exactly. He is a pure goalscorer, but not much else. You see flashes of his quality, eg the flick for weimann away at Aston villa or his sizzler in that dreaded sunderland game, but he would quite often go missing, standing in an offside position, trudging back to the centre circle (this actually helped us once at home to villa for the first goal), added to the fact that he can't finish games, which is a huge problem. I'm sure that he'll continuously score goals if he gets the right service and is played in the right position, but that, unfortunately, isn't the case in Lampard's system this season. His goals against Cardiff and Forest will be remembered, he dug us out of many a ditch at times with his goals, but you run a higher risk in keeping him and it not working out a la 16/17 in a system that he doesn't suit than selling him for £11m now. I say good luck, hope he is successful as he seems a lovely chap (not against us of course) and thanks for his contribution last season.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You're right, although it was 14 goals from open play & 21 goals - Championship goals anyway. 

We also need to replace him with someone who can finish 90 minutes. I looked it up earlier in the summer, but he's finished less than 30 games throughout his career. It was something like 11 games in the last three/four years or something. I imagine this is one of the reasons managers decided to go elsewhere. 

Mo Farah would struggle to finish games playing up front in a Rowett team.

26 minutes ago, chelloram said:

I don't get all the anti Vydra sentiment. He was outstanding for us last season, far superior to anything Lawrence showed, but Lawrence is suddenly flavour of the month. Vydra is a better finisher and his awareness of players movement around him was at a level Lawrence could only dream about last season but it seems that the majority of people would rather see him go if 10 million or thereabouts was on offer for either of them. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if I'm wrong and Lawrence comes good this year buy let's be honest he was dire for the majority of last season and only kept his place in the team because of the snakes inability to admit his marquee signing needed dropping. I think he'll struggle to fit in with the intelligent players we've inherited such as Mount and Wilson but here's hoping I'm proved wrong and we're all celebrating a fantastic season for him in a few months but I honestly feel he'll continue to frustrate?. Before anyone states how young he is, don't forget he is 24, not much younger than Vydra. 

Good post.

All I’ve seen regarding the reason(s) for selling Vydra is either FFP or because he doesn’t fit in with the style Lampard wants to play. Yet how would they know the latter, when he hasn’t kicked a ball throughout pre season playing in a Lampard side? Doesn’t make sense IMO. Should have atleast gave him a game or two just to see if he can adapt. Amazed we haven’t tried to parter him with Martin, Troy Deeney plays a similar game and did wonders to get the best out of Vydra.

Re Lawrence.  continually puts in 6/10 performances and seems untouchable , bar the odd cameo he really doesn’t warrant a start over Bennett next week who looks one of the best wide men options in these pre season games.

31 minutes ago, chelloram said:

I don't get all the anti Vydra sentiment. He was outstanding for us last season, far superior to anything Lawrence showed, but Lawrence is suddenly flavour of the month. Vydra is a better finisher and his awareness of players movement around him was at a level Lawrence could only dream about last season but it seems that the majority of people would rather see him go if 10 million or thereabouts was on offer for either of them. Don't get me wrong, I would love it if I'm wrong and Lawrence comes good this year buy let's be honest he was dire for the majority of last season and only kept his place in the team because of the snakes inability to admit his marquee signing needed dropping. I think he'll struggle to fit in with the intelligent players we've inherited such as Mount and Wilson but here's hoping I'm proved wrong and we're all celebrating a fantastic season for him in a few months but I honestly feel he'll continue to frustrate?. Before anyone states how young he is, don't forget he is 24, not much younger than Vydra. 

Oooooor

lawrence will thrive in a side where he’s got better players around him and isn’t feeding on breakaway scraps, where everything is done at break neck speed cos we defended so so So deep and is bollocksed from spending half the game on his own full backs toes 

u know how our wingers ... ince in particular, really shone none more so than under mclaren ... the guy that cut the reigns of them a little and let them do what they do best 

(not defending their own penalty box) pressing the opposition in their half 

I’m expecting all our attacking players to have a more fruitful season truth be told 

as u say it is a shame we can’t utilise Vydra but needs must 

Just not getting this sorry.  Vydra may not finish a game that often - that's because he generally spends half the game getting kicked to buggery- but he scores.  Vydra may sulk a bit - particularly when Lawrence doesn't pass to him for the 10th time in a game- but he score's. Vydra may get a bit peed off tracking back into midfield to try and pick up the ball for an hour - but he score's. Vydra may not fit into a rigid system of 4-3-3 but how long have we been saying we need a plan B - but he scores.   How many clubs sell  a player who gets over 20 goals in a season to a rival for 25% below market value for similar players at this level - we've only had Davison, Sturridge , Kitson and Martin in the last 40 years to score this many  . Give Vydra chances he Scores, he also got most of our pens last season.  Bad day at the office.  You don't swap a thoroughbred for a shire horse and some magic beans . Looking at Franks interview on twitter he doesn't look to sure either.

Disappointed to lose a player of his calibre to Leeds if I’m honest, especially at the fees being discussed. Time is definately right to cash in on him after his season last year, but was expecting a much bigger profit. Ah well, should be able to push on with other targets now.

No brainer for me. 

Really good player on his day, lethal in front of goal. But what’s the point in shoe horning him into a formation he’s previously failed to adapt to? Clearly needs to be sold so we can improve the squad as a whole, not just our striking options. 

Thank him for his goals and half arsed efforts, will get a clap from me on his return. 

13 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Just not getting this sorry.  Vydra may not finish a game that often - that's because he generally spends half the game getting kicked to buggery- but he scores.  Vydra may sulk a bit - particularly when Lawrence doesn't pass to him for the 10th time in a game- but he score's. Vydra may get a bit peed off tracking back into midfield to try and pick up the ball for an hour - but he score's. Vydra may not fit into a rigid system of 4-3-3 but how long have we been saying we need a plan B - but he scores.   How many clubs sell  a player who gets over 20 goals in a season to a rival for 25% below market value for similar players at this level - we've only had Davison, Sturridge , Kitson and Martin in the last 40 years to score this many  . Give Vydra chances he Scores, he also got most of our pens last season.  Bad day at the office.  You don't swap a thoroughbred for a shire horse and some magic beans . Looking at Franks interview on twitter he doesn't look to sure either.

All very true, last season at least but history shows that Vydra struggles to replicate form year on year. Struggled at Reading and struggled in his first year here. It’s true he has to play in a certain system and can go missing in games. Think we may have had his best season and if he doesn’t fit into the system that Frank wants to play then take the money. That said I think £11 million for the top scorer in the Championship is a bit short but if it funds a couple of signings Frank wants then fair enough.

41 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

Exactly. He is a pure goalscorer, but not much else. 

PMSL!

like Chris Martin you mean?

Or John Aldridge?

Or Ian Rush?

Or Andy Cole?

Or Ian Wright?

Or Gary Lineker?

Or Malcolm Macdonald?

Or Bob Latchford?

Saying he's just a goal scorer is like saying 'that Usain Bolt, all he does is run fast'

MV makes goals out of nothing.

Archived