Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

So we could actually play a Jack Russell up front to fit the system?

Is Jack Russell as good as Johnny Russell?

I have heard that Jack is a four footed player and equally good on each foot. Paws for thought at least.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McLovin said:

But there’s no evidence to suggest that Vydra can perform in a front 3 featuring wingers though, poor at Derby under McClaren who tried everything with Vydra but it didn’t work, only scored 3 in 31 league games at Reading.

The only teams that Vydra has been successful in are teams where he doesn’t have to contribute anything in build up play , get involved with any pressing, or defensive work and his only responsibility is to score . Lampard seems to want his team to press from the front which would reduce Vydra’s effectiveness and would more likely result in the Vydra we saw under McClaren than what we saw last season.

people talk about Vydra as if he's already the finished product, he's been around a while but in real terms is still young and learning the game. Just because he hasn't yet mastered certain elements of the game, doesn't mean he cannot master them and is incapable of doing so.

In the most basic terms, he can run, he can kick a ball, and he can hit the target. The rest is just drills and training.

33 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cos that's his game. 

Yes, but if Lampard wants to play high press, Vydra isn't his guy. It's more important having players that fit his style, that are perhaps worse, than better players who do not fit the way he wants to play.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes, but if Lampard wants to play high press, Vydra isn't his guy. It's more important having players that fit his style, that are perhaps worse, than better players who do not fit the way he wants to play.

As much as I agree I do think that if Frank asks him to work hard and high press he will or he won’t be selected for the next match.

if he sees goal opportunities by doing it he will do it.

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My point was atm with only a couple of fit strikers it's chicken and egg. Do we know what the style might be if Vydra was fit?

I must be way out of step with most because I really don’t see vydra as having nothing to offer once you take the goals away , I see a player that works his nads off , drops deep , presses high and is involved in creating as well as scoring ,, like Martin his body language at times can look like he has switched off or frustrated but I’ve not seen him give up ,, he could easily fit this system in my view and with the energy around him now to high press in numbers you might see less frustration ,,,when you consider the choices of vyds ,cam ,Martin nuge it’s quite strong and diverse. 

Vydra has a quick brain quick feet and hits the target these days, not many teams will fancy playing against him Wilson,Mount,Flo, and Lawrence and with 2 from Bryson/Ledley/Johnson etc behind them and a solid back 4

Let's put it this way - if Vydra wasn't a Derby player and we were linked with him after the season he's just had, we would be creaming our pants.  The fantasy football boys would be out in their numbers calling for him to be announced everyday.  Whichever way it goes (we get Marriot or we keep Vydra) we're in a strong position.

9 minutes ago, archied said:

I must be way out of step with most because I really don’t see vydra as having nothing to offer once you take the goals away , I see a player that works his nads off , drops deep , presses high and is involved in creating as well as scoring ,, like Martin his body language at times can look like he has switched off or frustrated but I’ve not seen him give up ,, he could easily fit this system in my view and with the energy around him now to high press in numbers you might see less frustration ,,,when you consider the choices of vyds ,cam ,Martin nuge it’s quite strong and diverse. 

no, you're not out of step. People like to perpetuate myths about football cos of the way these "thinkers" of the game try and justify their sickeningly frivolous spending, instead of actually coaching a team.

Nigel Clough had some great philosophies on the whole, and the one that footballers are footballers is pretty simple.

Vydra is a striker, he scores goals, he works hard. He would ONLY struggle if he was a number 9 playing hoofball, but it doesn't look like we are going that way. In a team of 1 touch, pass and move, and through balls in front of you, he will thrive.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-news-mcclaren-vydra-1097241.amp

“He was a confidence player, but he was very, very low on confidence. We wanted him to link up as a number 10 or a lone striker, but he needs to play with someone.

“Gary (Rowett) has fit him into the set up and he has David Nugent and now Cameron Jerome who are runners.”

“We had technical link-up players and he couldn’t quite do that. He is one who can run forward and finish – he is perfect.”

“It is matching the player to the philosophy and the system – and Matej Vydra is perfect for a Gary Rowett team.”

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-news-mcclaren-vydra-1097241.amp

“He was a confidence player, but he was very, very low on confidence. We wanted him to link up as a number 10 or a lone striker, but he needs to play with someone.

“Gary (Rowett) has fit him into the set up and he has David Nugent and now Cameron Jerome who are runners.”

“We had technical link-up players and he couldn’t quite do that. He is one who can run forward and finish – he is perfect.”

“It is matching the player to the philosophy and the system – and Matej Vydra is perfect for a Gary Rowett team.”

Utter tripe. Mac is trying to justify why he couldn't get Vydra firing in his team but Rowett could in his. Mac answered it himself really...………"He was very, very low on confidence". The rest is guff and Mac knows it.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

McLaren played him outwide the idiot, end of. 

2 hours ago, nfb said:

Vydra has a quick brain quick feet and hits the target these days, not many teams will fancy playing against him Wilson,Mount,Flo, and Lawrence and with 2 from Bryson/Ledley/Johnson etc behind them and a solid back 4

Exactly my view nfb. 

1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

McLaren played him outwide the idiot, end of. 

He played him up front first, he only moved him out wide because Vydra was useless as the middle man in the front three and McClaren felt obliged to fit him into the side because of his price tag, before eventually going back to Russell, Bent and Ince as the front three. I do agree with Mac though in that Vydra suits a counter attacking team more so where he can just stay in one position and shoot as soon as he gets the ball. Ask Vydra to do the other things needed in a attacking front foot team and he is poor. He is good when there is space to run into and playing off second balls from the main striker’s lay offs but all the suggestions are that we will be moving away from that way of playing thankfully.

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

@brady1993 hit the nail on the head for me. McClaren felt that Bent, the same Bent who many criticised for being nothing but a poacher, could contribute far more than Vydra in things other than scoring. Has Vydra changed or adapted his game since then? Not for me. I’d rather sell Vydra and buy someone who would be more likely to fit the system rather than trying to squeeze Vydra into a system that he wouldn’t be comfortable in.

The one thing I want to caveat my opinion is that on occasion it does look like Vydra has what it takes play as a false 9. He's technically good, he has made a few really nice passes over the course of last season and when his tail is up he's full of energy. 

My biggest worry would still be that I think put up against two centre backs they'd easily mark up him and nick the ball off him comfortabley as that's what happened when he played up front under Mac. 

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

He played him up front first, he only moved him out wide because Vydra was useless as the middle man in the front three and McClaren felt obliged to fit him into the side because of his price tag, before eventually going back to Russell, Bent and Ince as the front three. I do agree with Mac though in that Vydra suits a counter attacking team more so where he can just stay in one position and shoot as soon as he gets the ball. Ask Vydra to do the other things needed in a attacking front foot team and he is poor. He is good when there is space to run into and playing off second balls from the main striker’s lay offs but all the suggestions are that we will be moving away from that way of playing thankfully.

Watford were attacking and he scored a few there I recall

Archived