Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn’t surprise me if he actually was injured. Seemed injured quite a bit towards the second half of last season anyway. 

Whether he does stay or not, I don’t mind. If Frank thinks he should and can integrate him into the team then that’s fine by me. 

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If the switch back to 4-3-3 is going to be a thing going forward, then Vydra suddenly becomes a much less important part of the first team. Food for thought. 

Less important, yes.

If he's truly a good player then he should be adaptable enough to play one of the wider roles.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Less important, yes.

If he's truly a good player then he should be adaptable enough to play one of the wider roles.

Perhaps that’s the problem. Perhaps he isn’t truly a good player and he can’t adapt. He didn’t pull up any trees before last season when asked to play out of position. I’m not saying he’s not good enough. That’s the manager’s job to decide.

It's too early to tell regarding how we'll play, but as an early impression it's not that similar to Mac's 4-3-3, even if the formation looks similar.

The wide forwards were more tucked in as a rule, leaving the space out wide for the full backs, then moving out wider to support once in possession.

Take the 1st goal, Thomas is inside Bogle when he takes possession, makes the in to out run for Bogle to slide a great ball down the outside of his opponent.

I don't see any reason Vydra couldn't perform perfectly well as a wide forward if that's how we'll play, he's got both the pace and skill to do it.

I thought it was interesting how narrow we played, for example whenever Fozzy picked the ball up on the touchline going forward, Bogle would be no wider out than the centre circle, then work his way back out wider as the ball came infield, often at great pace, it's going to be very demanding playing full back in this system, but Bogle in particular impressed.

Archived