Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Then he would be on a hotel in Middlesbrough as Durham is miles away. I bet it’s Marek the bloke who sorted out my plumbing 

Not sure there are hotels in Middlesbrough, who the hell would want to stay in that god forsaken place 

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

And I gave you reasons why your theories on positions Vydra can play are just that. People think because Vydra scored a few goals last season he can play anywhere, when the only reasons he scored the goals was because he was in a formation built around him. I read your post I can assure you. I just think you're extremely wrong.

I think you're very dismissive, Vydra cant play every position as effectively as last year and score 20+ but he could certainly have an effect from those positions. Again this is provided we cant sell him, if we can't sell then he plays. 

He's scares defenders with is pace, he works just as hard as any player when trying to win the ball back (otherwise he wouldn't have played for Rowett. He's clinical from anywhere in and around the box. Great feet and decision making. 

I'm all for cashing in as I don't think his stock could be any higher but if he stays there is no way he is not in our match day squad. I would go as far as to he will be in the 11. He has more to offer than just number 10. 

Plus for Watford he played in a 3 Deeney/Ighalo and Vyds. sometimes Fosestieri and I remember him being pretty effective in that 3. It depends on the type of 3 you play; Winger or wide forwards. 

56 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Not sure there are hotels in Middlesbrough, who the hell would want to stay in that god forsaken place 

Last time i went there every building looked like a loading bay! The big rusty ship was the nicest thing i saw!

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

He wasn't very successful at West brom when he went there on a seasons loan. Any manager would be taking a risk in relying on Vydra to score enough goals to keep his team up.

Depends how you measure success I guess. 

He was only 21 years old when he went to West Brom on loan in the Premier League 2013/14, off
the back of a good Season on loan at Watford in the Championship. That Season at Watford being the first full
Season of his career, having joined them on loan from Udinese at the age of 20. 

In 23 Premier League appearances, he scored 3 Goals and had 4 Goal Assists. Those bare stats don't 
knock your socks off, but when you see that he was only on the Pitch for 668 minutes in those 23 
appearances, then that puts an entirely different complexion on things. That gives him a Goal/Goal Assist
for every 95 minutes played in the Premier League :-

https://www.transfermarkt.com/matej-vydra/detaillierteleistungsdaten/spieler/101500

You also have to take into account the state of West Brom that Season. Their joint League top-scorers were 
Saido Berahino and Stephane Sessegnon with just 5 goals apiece. These are the stats for their more attack-minded
players that season ( Forwards and attacking midfielders) :-

Saido Berahino          - 32 Appearances (11 starts/ 22 subs), 1402 minutes played, 5 goals and 2 assists
Morgan Amaltifano   - 28           "          (26 starts/  2 subs),  2152      "            "      , 4 goals and 4 assists
Stephane Sessegnon - 26           "          (23 starts/  3 subs),  1962      "            "      , 5 goals and 1 assists
Victor Anichebe         - 26           "          (11 starts/ 15 subs), 1216      "            "      , 3 goals and 3 assists
Matej Vydra               - 23           "          (  7 starts/ 16 subs),   668      "            "      , 3 goals and 4 assists 
Shane Long               - 15            "          (11 starts/  4 subs),  1035      "            "      , 3 goals and 1 assists
Zoltan Gera               - 14            "          (  5 starts/  9 subs),    482      "            "      , 0 goals and 1 assists
Nicolas Anelka          - 12            "          (11 starts/  1 subs),    856      "            "      , 2 goals and 0 assists
Scott Sinclair             -   8            "          (  4 starts/  4 subs),    300      "            "      , 0 goals and 1 assists
Thieva Bifouma         -   6            "          (  3 starts/  3 subs),    251      "            "      , 2 goals and 0 assists
Markus Rosenberg    -   4            "          (  1 starts/  3 subs),      88      "            "      , 0 goals and 0 assists

All above stats from Transfermarkt and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_West_Bromwich_Albion_F.C._season

Given that Vydra has spent pretty much his entire career out on loan, whilst the Pozzo's tried to maximise his value -  
https://www.transfermarkt.com/matej-vydra/transfers/spieler/101500 -
then it is hardly surprising that his career stats appear a bit hit and miss. It might also explain why he seems a tad 
reluctant to leave the only Club where he's spent 2 consecutive Seasons in one place.

Quite why so many Rams fans are  desperate to get the Golden Boot Winner out of the Club is a mystery to me.

1 hour ago, StarterForTen said:

This is purely unsubstantiated and I'm making no claims of truth but.... one of my work colleagues is absolutely 100% convinced he has just seen Matej Vydra walk into a hotel just outside Durham. They crossed as he was leaving.

Newcastle United perhaps? Has there been any rumour of interest from them?

Number 5 bat and orthadox left arm spinner?

6 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

Quite why so many Rams fans are  desperate to get the Golden Boot Winner out of the Club is a mystery to me.

Maybe because they realise Vydra doesnt quite suit our current system and is at a price that most of us could only dream of receiving this time last year.

Too many times we havent cashed in on players when their value is high.

People mention Brentfords scouting/transfer model but if we had that here the club would get berated for selling the best players every summer

5 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

He was only 21 years old when he went to West Brom on loan in the Premier League 2013/14, off
the back of a good Season on loan at Watford in the Championship. That Season at Watford being the first full

In 23 Premier League appearances, he scored 3 Goals and had 4 Goal Assists. Those bare stats don't 
knock your socks off, but when you see that he was only on the Pitch for 668 minutes in those 23 
appearances, then that puts an entirely different complexion on things. That gives him a Goal/Goal Assist

https://www.transfermarkt.com/matej-vydra/detaillierteleistungsdaten/spieler/101500

You also have to take into account the state of West Brom that Season. Their joint League top-scorers were 
Saido Berahino and Stephane Sessegnon with just 5 goals apiece. These are the stats for their more attack-minded

Saido Berahino          - 32 Appearances (11 starts/ 22 subs), 1402 minutes played, 5 goals and 2 assists
Morgan Amaltifano   - 28           "          (26 starts/  2 subs),  2152      "            "      , 4 goals and 4 assists
Stephane Sessegnon - 26           "          (23 starts/  3 subs),  1962      "            "      , 5 goals and 1 assists
Victor Anichebe         - 26           "          (11 starts/ 15 subs), 1216      "            "      , 3 goals and 3 assists
Matej Vydra               - 23           "          (  7 starts/ 16 subs),   668      "            "      , 3 goals and 4 assists 
Shane Long               - 15            "          (11 starts/  4 subs),  1035      "            "      , 3 goals and 1 assists
Zoltan Gera               - 14            "          (  5 starts/  9 subs),    482      "            "      , 0 goals and 1 assists
Nicolas Anelka          - 12            "          (11 starts/  1 subs),    856      "            "      , 2 goals and 0 assists
Scott Sinclair             -   8            "          (  4 starts/  4 subs),    300      "            "      , 0 goals and 1 assists
Thieva Bifouma         -   6            "          (  3 starts/  3 subs),    251      "            "      , 2 goals and 0 assists
Markus Rosenberg    -   4            "          (  1 starts/  3 subs),      88      "            "      , 0 goals and 0 assists

All above stats from Transfermarkt and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_West_Bromwich_Albion_F.C._season

Given that Vydra has spent pretty much his entire career out on loan, whilst the Pozzo's tried to maximise his value -  
then it is hardly surprising that his career stats appear a bit hit and miss. It might also explain why he seems a tad 
reluctant to leave the only Club where he's spent 2 consecutive Seasons in one place.

It’s a mystery to me why you can’t understand what is staring you in the face. Vydra can only be effective in one position and with the team built around him- incidentally, both Steve Nicholson and Craig Ramage have said as much today.It’s not going to happen- Lampard has his number 10 in Mason Mount. Apart from this he has well and truly pissed on his chips by leading his club, their supporters and Leeds up the garden path for several weeks, possibly blowing a big hole in FL’s transfer plans, and has let himself be dictated to by some greedy , parasitic agent. 

12 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

I wouldn’t say we were desperate. But some don’t think he fits in to the way Frank wants to play. He’s been tried out wide and up front as the line striker and ultimately failed to impress.

i think there are several players in both those positions that would be before him on the team sheet and he’s too good and worth too much to have on the bench let alone not even in the 18.

i would be interested where he would sit in peoples match day 18 and who they would drop to shoehorn him in

Can’t really understand how he has become our yearly scapegoat before the season has even started.

Our leading goal scorer. Top championship goal scorer. Best shot to goal ratio in the league (or there abouts). All done feeding off the scraps of long balls and counter attacking. 

The stats state he had a 75ish % pass completion, better than most of the squad. Imagine how many goals he could get with 5 chances per game?

The club have clearly stated everyone has their price. Why are ‘fans’ slating him for not just taking a longer contract with a bit more money elsewhere? The evidence says he at least likes this club and after having so many that look like they don’t care, not being a mercenary should be applauded.

You cant compare the various teams he has played in. Remember Lingard? was terrible. Wisdom already looks better in preseason from last year. Ledley was too slow and generally rubbish up to 3 weeks ago. Bryson’s legs have gone; thankfully they seem to have returned. 

I hope he stays, smashes it and makes the majority on here eat their tin foil hats.

46 minutes ago, mice_elf said:

Nice informative post spoiled by the last sentence. Many think it makes sense to selll and its because were playing 433, and someone was willing to pay £11 million for him. Im not sure about fans being desperate to get rid.

If that mystifies you then God knows what you must do when it comes to working out something even more complicated, like tying your shoelaces.

Archived