Championship or Premiership

How many of the current Derby squad would hold down a first team place in a premiership side?

As a player would it be better to be playing in a Derby team in the championship or on the bench,playing for the under 21 or loaned out to Scunthorpe,if they wanted you,had Derby been promoted or won the play offs. You see some times there isn’t always a benefit,not saying players go out to loose but sometimes the desire isn’t as strong.

As a supporter knowing what Derby would be capable of next year in the premiership,I’d much rather see them winning games in the championship and waiting for the moment when the powers that be in the Derby hierarchy realises that in order to get to the highest level you need players that not only have talent but also nothing to loose. Journeymen and good players in the early twilight of their careers will get you there or there abouts top 10 or maybe play offs.

Congratulation to the club and players you achieved what you set out to do and were  capable of this year.

And as a bonus no kid needs to change schools next year. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Why do they have to be a top 10 side? And as we have seen this season a side sitting 10th at any stage could have been 17th the week earlier and 20th the week after!

Well your kind of stalwart top 10.what I’m saying is you need players that go up who now that they have a good chance of playing in the premiership and are good enough to stay up. I think that’s what we all want for Derby.Mel Morris said 3 years ago he was building for the future for when Derby go into the premiership,players and managers have changed but the format remains the same.

No one really knows until we actually get there. Players who we think are only just about good enough for the Championship might flourish in the Prem. Lingard, Grant, Adam Smith, Ibe, Ince, Hughes, Hendrick, Butland, and Michael Keane have all played for us in the past 5 years and have not looked out of place playing in the Prem after leaving us. I certainly didn't expect Grant and Smith to make it as Prem players and definitely couldn't predict how well Lingard and Keane would do, so who knows how many of our current team will make it

12 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

No one really knows until we actually get there. Players who we think are only just about good enough for the Championship might flourish in the Prem. Lingard, Grant, Adam Smith, Ibe, Ince, Hughes, Hendrick, Butland, and Michael Keane have all played for us in the past 5 years and have not looked out of place playing in the Prem after leaving us. I certainly didn't expect Grant and Smith to make it as Prem players and definitely couldn't predict how well Lingard and Keane would do, so who knows how many of our current team will make it

Good point maybe one day we’ll get players like these all in one season and not over the space of 5 or 6..

In my view things changed this year when Sam winnall got injured he seemed to have the fight we needed he is a player that every time he goes out he wants to prove a point. 

I watch a fair amount of premiership football along with watching Derby home & away.  The current Derby team are a mile away from the Premiership although I think we all deserve a year in top flight, watching some of the best players in the world.  Watched Liverpool at the weekend, their centre-half (Virgil), what a player he is!

Premier league: 34 would of been enough to stay up... Cardiff hudds, palace, Bournemouth, West Ham, Burnley, Southampton, Brighton all winnable games next season, I think in the league next year this team wouldn’t be a million miles of being able to stay up! But we will never know!

2 hours ago, unclej said:

I watch a fair amount of premiership football along with watching Derby home & away.  The current Derby team are a mile away from the Premiership although I think we all deserve a year in top flight, watching some of the best players in the world.  Watched Liverpool at the weekend, their centre-half (Virgil), what a player he is!

I think everyone deserves a season in the premiership and each year an exception to the inevitability of the premiership ie Burnley this year. The problem I have is imagining what it must be like to be a Southampton supporter every year not a lot to show and not a great deal to look forward too..

We got that season and it didn’t go well, we won’t sustain a place in the premier league until we get the right players/balance and storm this league like wolves have done

next season will be another tough one with teams like stoke, Swansea and West Brom added to the mix along with 2 others failed in the play offs this season

14 hours ago, D is for Derby said:

I think everyone deserves a season in the premiership and each year an exception to the inevitability of the premiership ie Burnley this year. The problem I have is imagining what it must be like to be a Southampton supporter every year not a lot to show and not a great deal to look forward too..

In 2010 Southampton were in Division one, after a fall from grace, they rebuilt and put in a good young(ish) manager who turned the club around, they have a fantastic scouting set up that continues to thrive and enable the club to become self fulfilling with the fees that they get for their players, they have now completed six continuous seasons in the premier league, I think in comparison to us their supporters are / should be quite content !

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

In 2010 Southampton were in Division one, after a fall from grace, they rebuilt and put in a good young(ish) manager who turned the club around, they have a fantastic scouting set up that continues to thrive and enable the club to become self fulfilling with the fees that they get for their players, they have now completed six continuous seasons in the premier league, I think in comparison to us their supporters are / should be quite content !

But surely that’s the point to be a fan of Southampton and watch your best young players being brought on for the sole objective of selling them and never using them to compete for you,to feel yes we have a great crop of young players and then no when the transfer window opens must be soul destroying. Might be good for the survival of a club trying to punch above it’s weight but you as a paying customer you shell out £30 to do what, watch the stars of Man U,Man City,Chelsea come to your ground and stuff you or consider you’ve had a good match if you only lost 2-0. What’s the point of playing in this holly grail called the premiership if on day one your happy if your side finishes midway in the bottom half. 

What pleases me at 3 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon is to watch Derby compete,play exciting football and win not watch the likes of Neymar and Pogba playing for someone else. And if that means the championship then so be it. 

On 16/05/2018 at 12:57, D is for Derby said:

But surely that’s the point to be a fan of Southampton and watch your best young players being brought on for the sole objective of selling them and never using them to compete for you,to feel yes we have a great crop of young players and then no when the transfer window opens must be soul destroying. Might be good for the survival of a club trying to punch above it’s weight but you as a paying customer you shell out £30 to do what, watch the stars of Man U,Man City,Chelsea come to your ground and stuff you or consider you’ve had a good match if you only lost 2-0. What’s the point of playing in this holly grail called the premiership if on day one your happy if your side finishes midway in the bottom half. 

What pleases me at 3 o’clock on a Saturday afternoon is to watch Derby compete,play exciting football and win not watch the likes of Neymar and Pogba playing for someone else. And if that means the championship then so be it. 

Match of the Day is where one can watch the best of the PL week in week out. 

Yes does it matter ? 

Ideally one can play good football and go up and then stay up ? 

It will be interesting to see how wolves do next PL season. Can we use them to test the relative strengths of the two leagues??

Cardiff will come straight back ? 

On 15/05/2018 at 13:50, D is for Derby said:

How many of the current Derby squad would hold down a first team place in a premiership side?

As a player would it be better to be playing in a Derby team in the championship or on the bench,playing for the under 21 or loaned out to Scunthorpe,if they wanted you,had Derby been promoted or won the play offs. You see some times there isn’t always a benefit,not saying players go out to loose but sometimes the desire isn’t as strong.

As a supporter knowing what Derby would be capable of next year in the premiership,I’d much rather see them winning games in the championship and waiting for the moment when the powers that be in the Derby hierarchy realises that in order to get to the highest level you need players that not only have talent but also nothing to loose. Journeymen and good players in the early twilight of their careers will get you there or there abouts top 10 or maybe play offs.

Congratulation to the club and players you achieved what you set out to do and were  capable of this year.

And as a bonus no kid needs to change schools next year. 

It’s a hard question, especially when you consider Ashley Barnes can and Jordan Rhodes can’t. 

It takes different qualities. The number of players that have performed better in the Premier League than the Championship isn’t far off the number of players that perform better in the Championship than Premier League. 

McManaman was MOTM in an FA cup final win. Now, he’s a League One player! 

Archived