Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Paul and Wolfie make great points about something I've posted about in the past. The over reliance of mobile devices.

It's an addiction. Paul mentions the other persons phone going off, either bleeping or ringing and they just must see who it is immediately. The more they text / message on social media the more they in turn receive therefore the cycle perpetuates and this plasticky thing permanently stuck in the palm of their hand over time becomes something they can't actually live without.

I don't use social media in the sense of facebook, twitter and all that malarkey and my internet use is pretty basic and sporadic but even I found it a little bit inconvenient recently when my internet was down and I couldn't use it.

I thought of folk that spend all day on there and truly believe that if I found having no internet for a week preying on my mind, these people will experience major withdrawal symptoms.

Everything is instant. Media and stuff are just constantly chucked in our direction through another screen. Tv, tablet, smart phone etc. I've been to a friends house and he had all 3 on within a metre of where he was sat!

Phones are amazing. If I break down i can get help. If I need to text someone to get a message to them i can. If I need the number of a local chemist then it's there. If I want to buy Derby tickets the moment they go on sale i can.

All useful and makes life easier.

My phone makes my life easier but it's not my life.

The distinction between the two is important.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The sad thing is its not just the young....middle aged people are addicted too, cant wait to check their text or check facebook to see what pointless thing someone has posted.

I hate when i see people giving more importance to their phone than the human being they are interacting with in person.

Everyone is obsessed with what other people have got. They feel hard done by and tense.

Often they are unaware that people would love their life.

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Everyone is obsessed with what other people have got. They feel hard done by and tense.

Often they are unaware that people would love their life.

Agree. I'd like to be super fit, irresistable to women, have a big house by the sea, loads of money and a high powered job.

Surprisingly i have none of these and that doesn't make me a worse person than someone who has.

Accept and be grateful for what you have or you'll never be happy. Even if what you have is relatively nothing. Embrace it and don't waste time procrastinating and doing yourself down about what you think you should have.

Live your life and don't try and live the life of someone else is what I say.

Decluttering is good and therapeutic. I got rid of pretty much all of my possessions. They were just stuff. Didn't need them, wasn't using most of them and got rid. I now spend my money on experiences and visiting places, live events and the like rather than material items that just aren't important.

I've got a phone, telly, laptop and a car that works. What else does a person need?

4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Paul and Wolfie make great points about something I've posted about in the past. The over reliance of mobile devices.

It's an addiction. Paul mentions the other persons phone going off, either bleeping or ringing and they just must see who it is immediately. The more they text / message on social media the more they in turn receive therefore the cycle perpetuates and this plasticky thing permanently stuck in the palm of their hand over time becomes something they can't actually live without.

I don't use social media in the sense of facebook, twitter and all that malarkey and my internet use is pretty basic and sporadic but even I found it a little bit inconvenient recently when my internet was down and I couldn't use it.

I thought of folk that spend all day on there and truly believe that if I found having no internet for a week preying on my mind, these people will experience major withdrawal symptoms.

Everything is instant. Media and stuff are just constantly chucked in our direction through another screen. Tv, tablet, smart phone etc. I've been to a friends house and he had all 3 on within a metre of where he was sat!

Phones are amazing. If I break down i can get help. If I need to text someone to get a message to them i can. If I need the number of a local chemist then it's there. If I want to buy Derby tickets the moment they go on sale i can.

All useful and makes life easier.

My phone makes my life easier but it's not my life.

The distinction between the two is important.

I gave up going on Facebook and it felt like a big cloud had lifted from me. 

On the other hand it may have had something to do with Derby winning 7 on the bounce.

5 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree. I'd like to be super fit, irresistable to women, have a big house by the sea, loads of money and a high powered job.

Surprisingly i have none of these and that doesn't make me a worse person than someone who has.

Accept and be grateful for what you have or you'll never be happy. Even if what you have is relatively nothing. Embrace it and don't waste time procrastinating and doing yourself down about what you think you should have.

Decluttering is good and therapeutic. I got rid of pretty much all of my possessions. They were just stuff. Didn't need them, wasn't using most of them and got rid. I now spend my money on experiences and visiting places, live events and the like rather than material items that just aren't important.

I've got a phone, telly, laptop and a car that works. What else does a person need?

The things you own end up owning you.

11 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Mobile phones are useful - of course they are but for too many people (particularly amongst the young), their lives totally revolve around them and in that respect, it's a sad indictment of modern society. For many, their mobile has become a sixth digit, they can't go anywhere without the blessed thing clutched tightly in their hand.

Oh yeah, well said.

We have a competition on how young and how expensive we can lavesh phones upon them, I am currently receiving the cold shoulder because I have refused to upgrade my daughters perfectly perfect phone for the latest phone that Izzy's mum has bought her, I have restricted data roaming and tethered her WiFi to stop her zombifying behavior and actually teaching her to speak to her parents once in a while, I would ban any mobile phone to anyone under the age of 18 :angry:

9 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Well, I've always found a bed and chair/settee to be useful. Pots and pans and a cooker too. Mrs Ilkley has her moments; I like having the kids and dogs but I would accept that I don't necessarily need them in a purist sense.

otherwise I think I'm with you Tony.

oh, and a season ticket of course

17 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Well, I've always found a bed and chair/settee to be useful. Pots and pans and a cooker too. Mrs Ilkley has her moments; I like having the kids and dogs but I would accept that I don't necessarily need them in a purist sense.

otherwise I think I'm with you Tony.

oh, and a season ticket of course

A toilet and a sofa. I make use of a fridge too

People who contact the press with non stories, this one for example https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2486827/shopper-slams-tesco-after-muslim-woman-on-checkout-refused-to-serve-him-alcohol/

no need for him to look so depressed about it, like its caused him so much pain and suffering, in the pictures either, and to be honest if thats the wine he was buying he should have been refused for lack of taste.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

People who contact the press with non stories, this one for example https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2486827/shopper-slams-tesco-after-muslim-woman-on-checkout-refused-to-serve-him-alcohol/

no need for him to look so depressed about it, like its caused him so much pain and suffering, in the pictures either, and to be honest if thats the wine he was buying he should have been refused for lack of taste.

Should've tasered him, and dragged his screaming body outside.

Not even wine, but a factory produced wine mixer, the dirty bugger.

The only reason for a man his age to buy such a product is to ply the kids down the local park, effin paedo has no shame!

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Struck a chord this. Only last week I vowed that it was the last ever copy of the Derbyshire Times I was going to buy.

It's been getting worse over the years but the other week I read an article about someone arrested in a domestic incident for pouring a tin of spaghetti over their partners head in a row over who opened a bag of potatoes.

I kid you not.

How am I supposed to take this paper seriously ever again?

It's clogged with domestics like the above which we don't need to know about. It's not news and has no relevance to anybody.

Ridiculous.

10 hours ago, Phoenix said:

So it's ok for a store like tesco to put someone on a till who refuses to serve you on account of their religious beliefs? If her religious beliefs are so strong she shouldn't have applied for a job at a store which sells alcohol.

I think thats a totally different discussion, the article in questin has a picture of the fella looking like the worst thing in the world has happened to him, seriously most people of this happened would maybe have a bit of a moan to their other halves at home, even relay it to their mate at the pub, might even go as far as posting on a football forum 'random things that annoy me' thread...but really reporting it to the national press??? I mean if you read through it it even says someone came and scanned the items anyway, its hardly a big deal.

And yes i think its ok, it says that alcohol is not normally served at that checkout, and someone came and dealt with it anyway, and they have told her in future just to get someone else over to do it, sounds more like a training issue which has been addressed.