Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but the instructions that come with some self-assembly furniture beggars belief. For a fiver (or most likely the equivalent in yuan), the companies responsible could get one of the kids of their employees to put together something far better in a few minutes.

The audio on Planet Earth ll, had switch it off, the background "atmospheric" track is too high for me and when I turn the volume up to hear what Attenborough is saying,  it's deafening. Real shame, the photography is the probably the best I've seen but whoever is in charge of the sound is not very good. 

17 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

The audio on Planet Earth ll, had switch it off, the background "atmospheric" track is too high for me and when I turn the volume up to hear what Attenborough is saying,  it's deafening. Real shame, the photography is the probably the best I've seen but whoever is in charge of the sound is not very good. 

I've noticed that with some of the Sky matches it's difficult to hear what the commentators are saying because the crowd noise is so loud. I would guess it's to generate a better 'atmosphere'. 

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Weather forecasters making a big deal of possible 'overly wintry' weather. Such as low temperatures and snow.

Someone should tell them it's winter. It's what happens.

......and people who say we're going to have some weather! Eh? We've always got weather - not always the same weather but weather nonetheless.

Customer service lines belonging to major companies that cost you money to call them. 

The basic outline being  ....We aren't doing a good job relative to something we promised to do for an agreed sum. 

So to resolve this, you need to pay us to sort it and that payment is open ended while we keep you on hold. 

And the PS to this is companies that strive to keep themselves distant from their customers via FAQ's / no reply emails / incomplete contact info. 

The aim is a "no people" interaction service which forgets completely that customers are people. Sad

17 minutes ago, jono said:

Customer service lines belonging to major companies that cost you money to call them. 

The basic outline being  ....We aren't doing a good job relative to something we promised to do for an agreed sum. 

So to resolve this, you need to pay us to sort it and that payment is open ended while we keep you on hold. 

And the PS to this is companies that strive to keep themselves distant from their customers via FAQ's / no reply emails / incomplete contact info. 

The aim is a "no people" interaction service which forgets completely that customers are people. Sad

saynoto0870.com is a good antedote to this.

Got a peculiar problem manifested itself in my 2 year old car, in that the heater fan only runs on setting 4 (of 4 ). You would think that it would work on all four, or none at all.

I phoned the garage (a main dealer) to get it sorted. They told me they will run a diagnostic check. If it's a problem under the 5 year warranty, they'll fix it for free. If, however, it's deemed to be caused by me, I have to pay £50 for the diagnostic check.

How the f*** I could have caused it is beyond the wit of man. I refrained from venting my rage on the receptionist, who was probably reading from a script, but the service manager had better be on his best behaviour when I take it in.

Random stuff that annoys me. My daughter's ex-partner, who is a cretin. Still hangs around, even though he's got a restraining order served on him.

Her washing machine stopped working, and she suspected an electrical fault, but pleads total ignorance of all things mechanical/electrical. In steps Mr Big, who apparently changed the fuse 3 times. Each time she switched the machine back on, the fuse blew.

Having had a rather traumatic week, combining a washer breakdown, her younger son's birthday, and her grandma's death and funeral, I didn't manage to get along to have a look.

Today, I persuaded a handyman chap I know to have a look at it.  Step 1. Pull machine out of recess. Step 2. Pull out plug and take fuse out. 3. "Why has he been putting 3 amp fuses in?"

I rest my case.

9 hours ago, jono said:

Agreed & this bit pees me off no end.

I use the WEQ4U app on iPhone for the costly phone lines. It calls them via a normal landline for you and then will stay on hold for you & ring you back when you get through to an operator. It's worked well for me loads of times.

Stores which advertise items which give you an option to 'click and collect' or 'delivery'. Then when you decide to buy something, the item you want, not only isn't it in stock anywhere near you but they don't stock it anywhere so, if it's under £50 they want to charge you an extra £8. So what they advertise on line for, say, £30, they have no possibility on this earth of being able to sell to you at the stated price.

Robbing, conniving b******s.

Not being morally comfortable with haggling in charity shops.

I'm all for charity but the prices for some of the stuff is ridiculous.

Picked up a couple of really interesting books the other day. No prices on them so thought yes, I'll take them. Expecting to pay a couple of quid ish. Lady wanted over a fiver! So I put them back. Ten a penny at a car boot.

If prices are reasonable then I'm happy to buy. Even if they are slightly over what I'm expecting but seriously. Some charity shops have bizarre prices. The items are free for them. Isn't it best just to get them sold rather than pricing people out and having to keep old stock?.

A run of the mill Cd should be a quid. Not 2 quid. Oddly enough if they were a quid I might buy two. If they are 2 quid I won't buy any.