Where are you on the UK fat scale?

LesterRam

35 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I used to work with a guy who represented GB in Karate at the olympics. He was pretty short but pure muscle.

The nurse did his BMI and told him that according to the scale he was obese..

I am in pre-employment checks for my new job telling people what to do. 

I had a nurse take my BMI im February, and she had to change it to 29.9 so I could pass the medical. 

But then I am 5'9 and 14 stone 10. With very little fat.

I believe it makes me obese on the chart and she had to change it slightly.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BMI ain't total ********. 

If you're ripped as hell or you're very tall or very short it can be misleading but for most people it's a reasonably good measure. Just think some people don't like what the results tell them.

Your healthy weight and ability to maintain it is just all in the genes though isn't it? Probably more damage done by excessive dieting, food supplements, protein powders, vitamin tablets and stress than whether or not you eat that chocolate eclair or not.

Eat less, exercise more. Not hard. If your genes are against you, you're going to have to work a bit harder or eat a bit less but it's common sense.

25.4. Just scraped into the overweight category but way down on the average for my age. Oh for the days back in the 70s when I was a skeletal 9 stone with a 28 inch waist and a Zapata moustache with shoulder length hair.......

PistoldPete2
16 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

BMI ain't total ********. 

If you're ripped as hell or you're very tall or very short it can be misleading but for most people it's a reasonably good measure. Just think some people don't like what the results tell them.

Your healthy weight and ability to maintain it is just all in the genes though isn't it? Probably more damage done by excessive dieting, food supplements, protein powders, vitamin tablets and stress than whether or not you eat that chocolate eclair or not.

Eat less, exercise more. Not hard. If your genes are against you, you're going to have to work a bit harder or eat a bit less but it's common sense.

My weight is on the borders sometimes just over the Bmi threshold of 25 sometimes just under . Even when I’ve been over the nurse at our Gp surgery says I’m defo not overweight, as I’m quite muscular.

for proper athletes the results can be even more distorted super fit athletes classed as obese.

gym membership in United stAtes is 20% of population so Bmi won’t work for all those pumping iron. Mind you there really are some fat ******** out there.

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

My weight is on the borders sometimes just over the Bmi threshold of 25 sometimes just under . Even when I’ve been over the nurse at our Gp surgery says I’m defo not overweight, as I’m quite muscular.

for proper athletes the results can be even more distorted super fit athletes classed as obese.

gym membership in United stAtes is 20% of population so Bmi won’t work for all those pumping iron. Mind you there really are some fat ******** out there.

The nurse was quiet impressed then?!?

PistoldPete2
9 minutes ago, chadlad said:

I think her words were ... you are a big boy.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43895508 - Can we trust BMI to measure obesity?

So, according to BMI I'm overweight but this says you should think about losing weight if your waist is over 37" (mine is 33-34).

Chips for lunch it is, then.

Even that is ******** 37 inch waist might be quite slim for a very tall person. 

BMI is largely ******** though as it takes nothing into consideration really. Body fat percentages and the location of that body fat are far more important barometers for health. 

The Rock for example would be morbidly obese, but he's probably around 10-12% body fat when making movies. 

I am a PT btw, not just spouting balls. 

Ah.. the people close to me hate me when the subject of health and fitness comes up but I have to be passionate about something.

right.. basically, a lot of fat people really, really annoy me.

'I will eat what i want because i enjoy it. What's the point in life if you can't enjoy food?'. (meaning chocolate, crisps, cake, chips etc)

There is a strong correlation between this comment and also complaining ALL THE TIME of; headaches, tiredness, lack of concentration, stomach ache, colds, being out of breath, 'feeling fat' and clothing 'making them look fat'.

In the long run (excuse the pun) did you really enjoy that chocolate cake? For a few seconds maybe.

Food is meant to be what you have to fuel your body, taste is completely irrelevant. (of course a bonus if it does taste good).

so, 'What's the point in life if you can't enjoy food?'... feeling invigorated every day? Having the energy to play with your kids/ grandkids? Actually being proud of what you look like? Your kids not secretly being embarrassed by what you look like? ('my kids aren't so shallow to judge people by their appearance'.. the cold hard truth, they aren't shallow but deep down are embarrassed.)

I am sorry to be so blunt to anybody's feelings, but the truth does hurt i'm afraid.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, chadlad said:

Oh Ive just realised there was a comma missing. I didnt mean "when I've been over the nurse", I meant when Ive been over [ my BMI target], comma, the nurse says Im not overweight. If I did get to be over the nurse,  or under the nurse for that matter  she might think I am a bit underweight in one department.    

So I'm sat in Maccy D's with two young lads in their twenties and they start counting the calories on the side of the cartons . Talk about brainwashed I can't believe now days you cant just have a meal for the pleasure without the fat nazi's telling you what to eat and what not to eat.

They may or may not live longer than my parents or my generation that had what is now considered a poor high fat diet, but it will certainly feel like it.

Archived