Keogh ....New Centre Back

NottsRammy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Thought he was excellent tonight. So under rated by a lot of our fans. 

Me too. He created a lot of impetus at times, one thing can’t deny his he’s not afraid to carry the ball. Cardiff made him look like Ronaldo at times mind.

I wonder if Cardiff fans will be in uproar and clamouring for their skipper and talisman, Sean Morrison, to be sold after his performance last night or whether they'll simply put it down to a bad day at the office. Lots of folk were again this week suggesting we dump Keogh but I note not a single suggestion on whom we would replace him with. There were a few more sensible posts last night, in light of yet another barnstorming performance from the lad, rightly pointing out his true value to the team and rightly so.

When I consider it, I find it very hard to name any CH's in any league in this country who don't have shockers from time to time. I wonder why that is? Top boys like Kompany, Koscielny, Luiz and Vertonghen, none of them ever drop a clanger do they?

Some folk just can't seem to grasp that when a centre half ***** up, it costs a goal, when a striker does the same, it doesn't, in fact it's generally forgotten the very next time he scores, if not sooner. And this is why the reactions from us fans to Keogh are just knee-jerk scapegoating of the very worst kind. He probably has half a dozen really poor performances across a 46 game season. The top boys probably half that but of course they'd be worth £20 to £30 million a piece. Think about that if you will? 

So why is it then, that us Keogh fans see value in him and why don't we want him sold or driven from the club by the pointless negativity of some sections of the fans? Here's a clue chaps; you don't sell your best players and you certainly don't sell them when they are not playing well. Perhaps the naysayers will one day work out why, but I'd best not hold my breath.

This actually may be a new role for him. 

Playing 3 at the back with Wing backs gives you the ability to really play a sweeper/extra midfielder role. 

When it is 4 at the back and he steps forward it leaves a great big hole in the middle. 

Now when he steps forward, or wide, or even in the box, there is loads of cover for him. 

What also happens as did last night is that their midfielders don’t know weather to step up to him and leave their man or hand him off to the next man. When they do this it opens up our midfield, although if they were more mobile it would be even more effective. 

His charging runs made him our most dangerous midfielder, and he was playing center back. As others have said I can’t see any other center back in the league being able to do it. 

This system suits Keogh down to the ground. If we're going to continue with this formation going forward, the key will be to find a similar player to play on the left side of the 3, moving Fozzy to LWB.

The name that immediately springs to mind is O'Connell from Sheff Utd but I doubt they'd let him go.

On 22/04/2018 at 13:23, NottsRammy said:

This isn't an all out pop at Keogh as on the whole the whole squad isn't good enough .

I would only keep Carson , Vydra and Davies out of the whole lot possibly Lawrence as he is young.

Just a thought could we sell Keogh ( as we all know he has a mistake in him when it matters most ) and replace within our ranks . Whats peoples thought on moving Huddlestone to that position ?. He has played it before and we would have a ball passing centre half then . It would take out of midfield his lack of pace for next season . Obviously we will have to replace with younger fitter legs and a tackler.If that doesn't make sense what about Wisdom ?  being paired with Davies.

I said similar last night albeit questioning why are we playing Forsyth in a back 3 apart from having a left foot.

Wisdom is a right sided option

Pearce would be a fairly solid do the basics defender

And Huddlestone could be a ball playing defender or maybe even sweeper.

If we're staying 352 we need a proper engine room bringing in, full backs with legs, and players to get it to get if from the back to the midfielders. Not sure we have the means to achieve that.

No doubt it will all end in tears and we'll decide 433 is the way again.

On 22/04/2018 at 13:23, NottsRammy said:

This isn't an all out pop at Keogh as on the whole the whole squad isn't good enough .

I would only keep Carson , Vydra and Davies out of the whole lot possibly Lawrence as he is young.

Just a thought could we sell Keogh ( as we all know he has a mistake in him when it matters most ) and replace within our ranks . Whats peoples thought on moving Huddlestone to that position ?. He has played it before and we would have a ball passing centre half then . It would take out of midfield his lack of pace for next season . Obviously we will have to replace with younger fitter legs and a tackler.If that doesn't make sense what about Wisdom ?  being paired with Davies.

I said similar last night albeit questioning why are we playing Forsyth in a back 3 apart from having a left foot.

Wisdom is a right sided option

Pearce would be a fairly solid do the basics defender

And Huddlestone could be a ball playing defender or maybe even sweeper.

If we're staying 352 we need a proper engine room bringing in, full backs with legs, and players to get it to get if from the back to the midfielders. Not sure we have the means to achieve that.

No doubt it will all end in tears and we'll decide 433 is the way again.

21 minutes ago, Carnero said:

This system suits Keogh down to the ground. If we're going to continue with this formation going forward, the key will be to find a similar player to play on the left side of the 3, moving Fozzy to LWB.

The name that immediately springs to mind is O'Connell from Sheff Utd but I doubt they'd let him go.

Signed an improved contact until 2022 so doubt he'd be in our price range if they did.

An inspirational display last night, and the main reason we upped our game in the second half, he’s the best ‘bring the ball out of defence’ centre half in the division, and one could almost taste his desire to lift the team and get us to Wembley to erase the memory of THAT QPR defeat ! 

Good displays also front Tom Huddlestone and Bradley Johnson .. 

Archived