What changes do you want to see made in order for us to finally get promoted next seson?

Marriot Ram99

I have been reading these forums for years but after  todays shambles and the same thing happening year in year out I have finally decided to sign up.

These are a list of things i would do before the start of next season:

1. Sack Rowett and replace him with either Dean smith or another manager  who is relatively young with something to prove , but at the same time having some decent managerial pedigree, whilst playing football in any style that doesn't violate the game. I'm not saying I want to see us play like Barca but i don't want to see Warnock  style football or even worse Rowett ball, that involves relying on the counter attack and getting break away goals rather than playing decent football on the deck.  The football played on McLaren could get us out of this division,  the things holding  us back that season were Keogh, a lack of a decent leftback (forsyth is average for this level but terrible going forward) an  a lack of a top quality winger(which we still lack desperately).

I can understand people saying we need continuity, but the football is dire, and the results have been worse than dire of late, and we are not even giving talented young players ago, if we are going fail atleast giving some youngsters ago would give fans some pride in the team.

2. Change formation as 4231 is not working- I think we should play a 433 next season, as good as vydra is we cant build the whole team around one player, I think he would work as a winger as long as he is around some midfielders who are on the same wavelength as him. 4231 lends it self to slow turgid football if we changed to a 433 things would automatically become a lot more forward thinking and exciting, but we need a squad reshape in order for it to get us promoted.

3. Have a massive summer clear out-

Here's who i would get rid of:

• Forsyth- he signed a new contract but in my opinion he is league 1 standard on the ball and midtable standard defensively ,i have never understood why some people rate him (admittedly he used to play better but he has never been to able to contribute going forward to the level you need for promotion).
  • Keogh- at his age he is only going to get worse, and although he has played well for most of the season when the going gets tough and you need a strong personality to stand up and be counted on , he is truly awful.
  • Baird- solid, experienced player but he is past his best now
  • Jerome- not as good as he used to be- a terrible signing that i would happily let go for free
  • Johnson- his passing ability is very poor and his decision making is lacking, i Would take as little as £1.5 mill for him if Norwich were willing to have him back
  • Hanson-  I Don't have anything against him and hes not a bad player but he is not good enough for a promotion team, and its about time he gets some first team football to enhance his career. I wouldn't mind if we kept him for back up though
  • Thorne- I know this one may be a very unpopular pick , but he has not been the same player since his last  injury he has often been a passenger in the midfield and his passing ability has gone with his confidence. Also he is far too injury prone and we cant rely on injury prone players if we are serious about going up. I know he has signed a new contract but that doesn't stop a new manager coming in and getting rid of him. Saying that I don't expect him too leave and I wouldn't mind if we kept him as long as he stays injury free.
  • Bent- Age, and high wages its a no brainer
  • Shackell- same as above
  • Butterfield-  No Brainer!
  • Blackman- Although he hasn't really been given that much of a chance when he has played he hasn't been good enough I would get rid
  • Martin- good player but past his best and we may get a decent fee for him and he will free up quite a bit of wages

Bennet- needs first team football his career is stalling at derby and he needs to go or he will waste all his potential, same as hanson wouldn't mind if we kept.

That's a seriously big list of players, but I reckon it has to be done if we want to move forward as a club even if we take big losses on players its Mels fault for giving his funds to inept managers so now he has to deal with the losses and invest a decent a mount of money in the summer. An advantage of selling so many players and having a smaller squad is  it will help with the wage budget, and mean we can have quality over quantity.  In my opinion one of our biggest failings over the last few years is buying quantity over quality.

I would sign 7 -8 players with 4 or 5 signings who could play first team and 3 or 4 for the bench.

4. Bring in young, hungry players with a mix of players, some with fight and desire and a few flair players Alberto Bueno style and address our weak points in the team.

I would sign:

• A  centre back who can play out from the back and at the same time defend well, so not someone like Ayala who could only do the ball playing part.
  • A box to box goal scoring Cm- Bradley dack 16 goals for a cm means he looks a good shout ,hopefully his all round play is better than our Bradley though. I saw on the internet that he models himself on Lampard if he is half as good he is what we need.
  • A striker with a good touch that has the pace and energy to run the channels - will grig maybe but I'm not sure if he has the all round game maybe someone from abroad for once as  i think for strikers it is easier to adapt than in other position as if you have pace and are a good finisher you will be good in most leagues you play in.
  • An electric winger who has decent end product- Grosicki wouldn't cost that much and is a very lively player
  • Maybe a left back but i think we should give a max lowe a chance
  • A back up right back if Baird goes
  • Another energetic box to box Cm maybe Jackson Irvine as Dacks only 5 9 so weed need someone good in the air.
  • A young promising lower league player maybe even non league for the reserves at first but maybe first team if they are ready.

Sorry for the long first post , I'm not 100% sure on the new signings but what I am sure of is I don't think Rowett is the right man for our club anymore.

My line up for next season would be:

Carson

wisdom   davies    new cb    Lowe/ new left back

Cdm   Ledley

Cm Dack        Cm New Player

Rw  Thomas/ new player  /Lawrence                      Lw Vydra

Striker New player - what we have isn't good enough for promotion  Grigg would be good as a poacher but iam not sure about his all round game , we may have to scout someone from either a lower league or abroad instead of getting someone from the championship/lower end prem team.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

I have been reading these forums for years but after  todays shambles and the same thing happening year in year out I have finally decided to sign up.

1. Sack Rowett and replace him with either Dean smith or another manager  who is relatively young with something to prove , but at the same time having some decent managerial pedigree, whilst playing football in any style that doesn't violate the game. I'm not saying I want to see us play like Barca but i don't want to see Warnock  style football or even worse Rowett ball, that involves relying on the counter attack and getting break away goals rather than playing decent football on the deck.  The football played on McLaren could get us out of this division,  the things holding  us back that season were Keogh, a lack of a decent leftback (forsyth is average for this level but terrible going forward) an  a lack of a top quality winger(which we still lack desperately).

I can understand people saying we need continuity, but the football is dire, and the results have been worse than dire of late, and we are not even giving talented young players ago, if we are going fail atleast giving some youngsters ago would give fans some pride in the team.

2. Change formation as 4231 is not working- I think we should play a 433 next season, as good as vydra is we cant build the whole team around one player, I think he would work as a winger as long as he is around some midfielders who are on the same wavelength as him. 4231 lends it self to slow turgid football if we changed to a 433 things would automatically become a lot more forward thinking and exciting, but we need a squad reshape in order for it to get us promoted.

• Forsyth- he signed a new contract but in my opinion he is league 1 standard on the ball and midtable standard defensively ,i have never understood why some people rate him (admittedly he used to play better but he has never been to able to contribute going forward to the level you need for promotion).
  • Keogh- at his age he is only going to get worse, and although he has played well for most of the season when the going gets tough and you need a strong personality to stand up and be counted on , he is truly awful.
  • Jerome- not as good as he used to be- a terrible signing that i would happily let go for free
  • Johnson- his passing ability is very poor and his decision making is lacking, i Would take as little as £1.5 mill for him if Norwich were willing to have him back
  • Hanson-  I Don't have anything against him and hes not a bad player but he is not good enough for a promotion team, and its about time he gets some first team football to enhance his career. I wouldn't mind if we kept him for back up though
  • Thorne- I know this one may be a very unpopular pick , but he has not been the same player since his last  injury he has often been a passenger in the midfield and his passing ability has gone with his confidence. Also he is far too injury prone and we cant rely on injury prone players if we are serious about going up. I know he has signed a new contract but that doesn't stop a new manager coming in and getting rid of him. Saying that I don't expect him too leave and I wouldn't mind if we kept him as long as he stays injury free.
  • Blackman- Although he hasn't really been given that much of a chance when he has played he hasn't been good enough I would get rid
  • Martin- good player but past his best and we may get a decent fee for him and he will free up quite a bit of wages

Bennet- needs first team football his career is stalling at derby and he needs to go or he will waste all his potential, same as hanson wouldn't mind if we kept.

That's a seriously big list of players, but I reckon it has to be done if we want to move forward as a club even if we take big losses on players its Mels fault for giving his funds to inept managers so now he has to deal with the losses and invest a decent a mount of money in the summer. An advantage of selling so many players and having a smaller squad is  it will help with the wage budget, and mean we can have quality over quantity.  In my opinion one of our biggest failings over the last few years is buying quantity over quality.

I would sign 7 -8 players with 4 or 5 signings who could play first team and 3 or 4 for the bench.

4. Bring in young, hungry players with a mix of players, some with fight and desire and a few flair players Alberto Bueno style and address our weak points in the team.

I would sign:

• A  centre back who can play out from the back and at the same time defend well, so not someone like Ayala who could only do the ball playing part.
  • A box to box goal scoring Cm- Bradley dack 16 goals for a cm means he looks a good shout ,hopefully his all round play is better than our Bradley though. I saw on the internet that he models himself on Lampard if he is half as good he is what we need.
  • A striker with a good touch that has the pace and energy to run the channels - will grig maybe but I'm not sure if he has the all round game maybe someone from abroad for once as  i think for strikers it is easier to adapt than in other position as if you have pace and are a good finisher you will be good in most leagues you play in.
  • An electric winger who has decent end product- Grosicki wouldn't cost that much and is a very lively player
  • Another energetic box to box Cm maybe Jackson Irvine as Dacks only 5 9 so weed need someone good in the air.
  • A young promising lower league player maybe even non league for the reserves at first but maybe first team if they are ready.

Sorry for the long first post , I'm not 100% sure on the new signings but what I am sure of is I don't think Rowett is the right man for our club anymore.

Carson

Cdm   Ledley

Striker New player - what we have isn't good enough for promotion  Grigg would be good as a poacher but iam not sure about his all round game , we may have to scout someone from either a lower league or abroad instead of getting someone from the championship/lower end prem team.

Don't agree with all of that but some good points in there. Welcome to the forum. It must be up there with one of the longest ever first posts. Maybe @David can confirm this? :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

I think as an executive summary this is spot on - sack Rowett and clear out the vast majority of the first team squad.

But who will want them?

Yes who will want Rowett's rejects, and Clements, and Pearsons, probably a few of Mac's lurking around as well :(

2 hours ago, VydraRAM 99 said:

I would sign:

Carson

Cdm   Ledley

a constructive well written post welcome to the forum.

Archived