Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I see Slater has gone to Notts and the skipper has extended his contract. Another pretty disappointing season overall. We need a new opening batsman, a number 4, a wicket keeper who can bat and a decent spinner for next season me thinks....

Reece

Hosein

Qadri

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would play Reece at 3 so still need a replacement for Slater. Is Hosein prolific enough with the bat and Qadi consistent enough to get us pushing for promotion.....

We need a new captain for me. Happy with Godleman as opening bat, but I just don’t see him as a good captain. 

An experienced quality spinner for Critchley & Qadri to learn off would be nice. Same with an experienced WK.

Opening bat and a 4 definitely needed.

note: I was supposed to quote the original post ?

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would play Reece at 3 so still need a replacement for Slater. Is Hosein prolific enough with the bat and Qadi consistent enough to get us pushing for promotion.....

I was thinking Godleman, Reece, Madsen, *New*, Hughes/Dal, Critchley as a top 6.

Any news on the Head of Cricket? Would you take Davie Houghton back?

Hosein kept wicket today - and unfortunately not very well, even suffering the ignominy of the ball squirming through his gloves and clattering a parked helmet to concede five penalty runs. If Bob Taylor had been dead, he would have been spinning in his grave. The wicket looks a belter - I suspect that this is to nullify Matt Henry somewhat.  The home side's attack was largely ineffective - 8 bowlers were used during the day's play.

Zak Crawley (a young batsman who opened for Kent) scored a very elegant career-best 96. He definitely got the jitters in the 'nervous 90s', after flaying Derbyshire to all parts in the early overs. Once he gets his first hundred, he will bag plenty more. Tall and with a quite superb straight drive which he used - often - to great effect, he looks a real prospect.

Joe Denly scored a typically gritty ton, yet he should have been dismissed first ball.Matt Critchley put him down - not an easy chance but one that should perhaps have been taken.

Still, it was a nice day. We had a few Belgian beers in the hamper.

Incidentally, Derbyshire were still using the old ball at the end of the day's play.

That's an awful Derbyshire team. Bowler heavy, lack of quality. So sad. I know we're the underdog, but it's another painful year.

Players genuinely good enough to get us out of this league... Godleman, Madsen, Reece, Critchley, Viljoen. That leaves six spots where we are not good enough.

Hughes doesn't do enough with ball or bat. Slater I'm happy he has gone, when he did score it was too slow. Four day games with British weather you need to be scoring four an over. Lace and Irvine are just throwing money away... Play second team players now this season.

Palladino a great servant, has put some good numbers in this year but his time has come. Quadri doesn't do enough yet, Ferguson was amazing in the 20/20 but four day player he is not.

Its a tough job for whoever gets the gig of director of Cricket.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

That's an awful Derbyshire team. Bowler heavy, lack of quality. So sad. I know we're the underdog, but it's another painful year.

Players genuinely good enough to get us out of this league... Godleman, Madsen, Reece, Critchley, Viljoen. That leaves six spots where we are not good enough.

Hughes doesn't do enough with ball or bat. Slater I'm happy he has gone, when he did score it was too slow. Four day games with British weather you need to be scoring four an over. Lace and Irvine are just throwing money away... Play second team players now this season.

Palladino a great servant, has put some good numbers in this year but his time has come. Quadri doesn't do enough yet, Ferguson was amazing in the 20/20 but four day player he is not.

Its a tough job for whoever gets the gig of director of Cricket.

But on the plus side...………….

Archived