Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Qadri only bowled 3 overs, did he get injured? Otherwise what was the point in picking him?

Not injured at all - he was fielding the whole Kent innings, patrolling the midwicket boundary. Second innings was the thinking behind his selection, perhaps? He went for 26 in his 3 overs - Kuhn was ripping him a new one. The current spinners' aggregate bowling analysis in this game is 0-162. As to why Qadri was picked at all - well, Rampaul was taken ill at the game at Hove, and perhaps they were concerned - breathing difficulty, I heard.

The biggest problem in this game is the pitch - I think Derbyshire's entire strategy from before this match started (from when the pitch was being prepared) was to neutralise Matt Henry, who in his previous 6 championship games took about 50 wickets, and produce a pitch where a draw was nailed on, or one where having two pretty decent spinners might give them the edge if they had the good fortune to bat first. Well, the neutralising strategy certainly succeeded today.

T20 lovers might think that over 770 runs for the loss of just 12 wickets during the first two days is some kind of 'fun', but I reckon it's rubbish. Cricket is supposed to be a contest between bat and ball, but over the first two days, it has been no contest at all. The two Derbyshire wickets to fall today were not down to good bowling but batsmen getting a bit too 'cocky' and playing lap shots off straight balls. I doubt even Alan Donald in his prime (now working for Kent in the capacity of bowling coach) would have enjoyed much success on that road today.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/08/2018 at 23:08, rammieib said:

That's an awful Derbyshire team. Bowler heavy, lack of quality. So sad. I know we're the underdog, but it's another painful year.

Players genuinely good enough to get us out of this league... Godleman, Madsen, Reece, Critchley, Viljoen. That leaves six spots where we are not good enough.

Hughes doesn't do enough with ball or bat. Slater I'm happy he has gone, when he did score it was too slow. Four day games with British weather you need to be scoring four an over. Lace and Irvine are just throwing money away... Play second team players now this season.

Palladino a great servant, has put some good numbers in this year but his time has come. Quadri doesn't do enough yet, Ferguson was amazing in the 20/20 but four day player he is not.

Its a tough job for whoever gets the gig of director of Cricket.

This is definitely a better team than at any time in the previous four years - fairly competitive in all forms of cricket but lacking star quality. Awful? About as awful as Derby County (yes, there are idiots who think that the Rams are awful too).

Interesting that you write Lockie Ferguson off as a 4-day player. He averages under 24 during his first-class career - compare that with 27 for Viljoen and a sniff under 30 for Palladino. This is also only his second game in the championship for Derbyshire, and he bagged 4 in the first innings at Hove during his CC debut for Derbyshire - so what are you basing your scathing judgement on?

2 hours ago, eddie said:

This is definitely a better team than at any time in the previous four years - fairly competitive in all forms of cricket but lacking star quality. Awful? About as awful as Derby County (yes, there are idiots who think that the Rams are awful too).

Interesting that you write Lockie Ferguson off as a 4-day player. He averages under 24 during his first-class career - compare that with 27 for Viljoen and a sniff under 30 for Palladino. This is also only his second game in the championship for Derbyshire, and he bagged 4 in the first innings at Hove during his CC debut for Derbyshire - so what are you basing your scathing judgement on?

Did think it was a bit strange to dismiss Ferguson myself. Genuine quick bowlers are always useful in my book. Don’t know much about his first class career before Derbyshire, but in a game and a half on two batsmen friendly pitches he’s not done to bad.

Strange move to produce a pitch to negate Matt Henry when at the same time neutralising Ferguson & Viljoen.

Granted Kent were big favourites going into this game but surely we should be preparing "result" pitches to give ourselves a chance of wins and finishing as high as possible. Draws get you nowhere in this game.

Unless we're trying to learn how to be difficult to beat?

27 minutes ago, Newleaf said:

336-6 is ok 

Need to avoid following on 

Not going to happen the way things are going. However, I am not sure that Kent would enforce it. Their bowlers have already toiled through 117 overs.

Derbyshire closed on 83-2, still 78 in arrears. A few balls are keeping a bit low, but it's certainly not a nightmare to bat on - yet. Kent's spin department is off-spinner Adam Riley (much fancied a few years ago as a bright prospect) and Joe Denly's occasional leggies. This is a rearguard action that should probably never have been required today, as batter after batter in Derbyshire's upper order played themselves in and then promptly got themselves out in the first innings through carelessness and getting a bit cocky. The home side were 288-2 with lunch on the horizon, yet the last eight wickets were frittered away in not much more than two and a quarter hours.

Derbyshire will probably lose from this position because they are not strong enough mentally and seem to lack a bit of discipline. Are there a couple of players willing to tough it out until some time well after tea tomorrow? I'm not sure. The young lad on loan from Middlesex, Tom Lace making his first-class debut, looks to be one who will not sell his wicket cheaply. I wish that we had 2 or 3 other like him as far as application and doggedness goes.

37 minutes ago, eddie said:

Derbyshire closed on 83-2, still 78 in arrears. A few balls are keeping a bit low, but it's certainly not a nightmare to bat on - yet. Kent's spin department is off-spinner Adam Riley (much fancied a few years ago as a bright prospect) and Joe Denly's occasional leggies. This is a rearguard action that should probably never have been required today, as batter after batter in Derbyshire's upper order played themselves in and then promptly got themselves out in the first innings through carelessness and getting a bit cocky. The home side were 288-2 with lunch on the horizon, yet the last eight wickets were frittered away in not much more than two and a quarter hours.

Derbyshire will probably lose from this position because they are not strong enough mentally and seem to lack a bit of discipline. Are there a couple of players willing to tough it out until some time well after tea tomorrow? I'm not sure. The young lad on loan from Middlesex, Tom Lace making his first-class debut, looks to be one who will not sell his wicket cheaply. I wish that we had 2 or 3 other like him as far as application and doggedness goes.

Another loss on the cards. Seems a pattern that we do ok in the first innings and then fall away and collapse in the second. Houghton needs to work his magic with the batting plus get some decent fresh good in...

I don't believe players who are making their name and money in the 20/20 arena will be motivated for the four day game, with nothing to play for (as far as trophies/success goes). So coupled in with figures so far of 4/106, 0/72, 1/103 it's not been brilliant. Sure three innings isn't much to judge on and take your point but for me, with so many players not good enough IMO, it's back to being frustrated.

6 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Derbydire going to lose by an innings...same old, same old....

No it wasn't.

They absolutely fought tooth and nail right to the bitter end, and took the game into the last hour, even giving Kent a few collywobbles as they subsided to 87-4 before knocking off the runs. With 10 minutes to go before tea, I was beginning to think they might just hang on - then Denly produced a rank long hop to Palladino which, under normal circumstances, he would have rattled to the fence. Only the ball didn't bounce at all - and I mean that. I doubt it got more than 3 incles off the ground and he was trapped in front, thus putting an end to a partnership which had lasted almost an hour and a half and which had contributed 72 runs.

It was a really good game of cricket, and it was decided almost like a tennis match - a few big moments. Thursday morning, when Kent added nearlt 200 for the last 4 wickets basically took away any chance of a home victory, but the draw was made increasingly difficult with a series of irresponsible strokes with batsmen well-set, and the crazy run-out of Palladino which eventually meant that they were 11 runs short of making Kent bat again. Then in the second innings, a completely freak dismissal removed Sean Ervine. He drove a ball off Riley on to his own boot, and the ball looped straight to Kuhn at short leg.

As far as your 'Derbydire' comment, I really think that it's better that you never bother coming down to the County Ground. They are obviously unworthy of your support, and I'm sure that the players would feel really bad for upsetting you if they didn't win.

Archived