Still 5th

sage

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/04/2018 at 17:55, TobyWanKenobi said:

Yes, it's a good position to be in. That does not men we shouldn't be aiming for better though. Preston was a shambles of a performance. Against a good team we'd have been torn to shreds. Hope Gary can sort it out.

This is just rubbish, though, with no factual backing whatsoever :

• we are aiming for better, and we are doing better
  • Preston are in the mix of the playoffs. We beat them. At their place. They couldn't score. How can that be described as a shambles ?
  • Gary has made changes to sort it out - as a result we have won two in two, scored four goals and not conceded.

How about being a little more positive and backing the club and players to do the right thing ?

And when making sweeping emotional statements, try backing them up with some facts or supporting  evidence.

Then you might have some credibility.

TobyWanKenobi
37 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

• Preston are in the mix of the playoffs. We beat them. At their place. They couldn't score. How can that be described as a shambles ?
  • Gary has made changes to sort it out - as a result we have won two in two, scored four goals and not conceded.

How about being a little more positive and backing the club and players to do the right thing ?

And when making sweeping emotional statements, try backing them up with some facts or supporting  evidence.

lol. I notice you wait after the much improved performance against Bolton to argue.

If you thought the Preston game was a masterclass, good for you, man. I'm not going to get into an argument over a subjective opinion, no matter how much baiting you do.

4 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

lol. I notice you wait after the much improved performance against Bolton to argue.

If you thought the Preston game was a masterclass, good for you, man. I'm not going to get into an argument over a subjective opinion, no matter how much baiting you do.

He didn't say it was a masterclass, he said it wasn't a shambles. 

I was there and I would describe it as dour but effective.

25 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it ......!

You've missed the point completely and reinforced it. 

Once again there  is absolutely no evidence, backup, justification for your opinion. Its purely emotional waffle.

Surely you can understand that for your opinion to count for something, you actually have to justify it ?

Surely ?

TobyWanKenobi
23 minutes ago, angieram said:

That 'effective' performance to me was assisted by how poor Preston finishing was on the day, including a bad penalty. They created far more than us, in all but the goal stats.

If the scores and stats were flipped, I think it would be fair to be absolutely gutted by the result. 

It's all ifs and buts of course, and it looks most problems that I had with the Preston performance were addressed in the Bolton game. That doesn't stop old Bobby trying to find a fight though :lol:

11 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

That 'effective' performance to me was assisted by how poor Preston finishing was on the day, including a bad penalty. They created far more than us, in all but the goal stats.

If the scores and stats were flipped, I think it would be fair to be absolutely gutted by the result. 

It's all ifs and buts of course, and it looks most problems that I had with the Preston performance were addressed in the Bolton game. That doesn't stop old Bobby trying to find a fight though :lol:

I give up

it all goes over your head

no-one can say i didn't try 

23 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it ......!

You've missed the point completely and reinforced it. 

Once again there  is absolutely no evidence, backup, justification for your opinion. Its purely emotional waffle.

Surely you can understand that for your opinion to count for something, you actually have to justify it ?

Surely ?

If you are looking for people to back up an opinion with facts, evidence or even a strand of rational thought that is peeping over the hedge at a discernible theory then you are on the wrong forum.

It's knee jerk responses, agendas and grudges here.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

If you are looking for people to back up an opinion with facts, evidence or even a strand of rational thought that is peeping over the hedge at a discernible theory then you are on the wrong forum.

It's knee jerk responses, agendas and grudges here.

In fairness it's a football forum, not the Oxford Union debating society.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

In fairness it's a football forum, not the Oxford Union debating society.

In other words a place for people to shout and scream baseless opinions and vent their rants with no justification, no understanding, no reflection, no attempt to understand another's point of view ?

Hold on, all is suddenly becoming clear ........

....I suddenly feel that I don't belong.....I must be needy....

3 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

In other words a place for people to shout and scream baseless opinions and vent their rants with no justification, no understanding, no reflection, no attempt to understand another's point of view ?

It’s ok, I’m proof that we take anybody on this forum.

5 hours ago, BobbyD said:

Some do, most don't imo.

It's easy enough to just ignore what you dislike, and if you feel compelled to reply, maybe you need to think about your own responses too.

8 hours ago, BobbyD said:

For example, I see little in the above response that shows you trying to understand another point of view.

A wholly negative opening line, which was bound to put the posters hackles up.

Followed by fair and valid bullet point responses.

Emotional statements aren't necessarily based on facts, so evidence isn't required when making them. Whether you choose to listen to them is an entirely different thing.

You sign off by questioning the posters credibility, which is hardly likely to encourage the type of response/debate you seem to think this forum lacks.

11 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Some do, most don't imo.

It's easy enough to just ignore what you dislike, and if you feel compelled to reply, maybe you need to think about your own responses too.

For example, I see little in the above response that shows you trying to understand another point of view.

Emotional statements aren't necessarily based on facts, so evidence isn't required when making them. Whether you choose to listen to them is an entirely different thing.

You sign off by questioning the posters credibility, which is hardly likely to encourage the type of response/debate you seem to think this forum lacks.

Excellent post @revildevil . I shall recommend you to my debating society old bean.   

We are 5th at the mo, and we seem to have come out of our dip, playing the same 11 in the last 2 matches, Gary getting the balance back in the middle of the park with the return of Ledley and Huddlestone, Vydra and Nugent looking like they did early on in the season, Lawrence playing with more confidence,  so yes I am very confident we will reach the play offs, and when there I fear no one. So glad I have renewed my season ticket for next season.

TobyWanKenobi
1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Some do, most don't imo.

Can I put this in my pipe and smoke it instead?

Archived