We’ve come a long way

loweman2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, they were the days.  King Kev.  Now there is a REAL legend and someone who'd sweat blood for the shirt - as would Mac and Toddy for that matter.  Still, those days are well and truly gone and not to be revisited in many a Rams fan's lifetime - mine included.  We have move with the times and accept the mercenaries that play for a different incentive these days and I for one have fallen out of love with the game for that reason.  Not DCFC, 'cos that's in the blood, but the game itself is off to hell in a handcart if it carries on the way it's going.  

7 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

That was my implication ! But didn’t want to drone on to much with one of my living in the past threads. ??

I know, I guess I’m just still grumpy. I assume this is another one from your collection? ?

10 hours ago, loweman2 said:

That was my implication ! But didn’t want to drone on to much with one of my living in the past threads. ??

Shhhhh........don't mention the drone.

4 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The fee we paid for David Nish broke the British transfer record, and the fee for Colin Todd wasn't far off.

We'll never ever break that record again.

Personally, with the fees currently being paid and how much they will probably keep on rising, I hope we never get close to breaking the record again (but only because we don’t want to, not can’t).

13 hours ago, Boycie said:

I would say we’ve gone backwards tbh.

Only slightly Boycie...only slightly. Sigh. 

At least we have our memories of those days unlike the poor buggers who started watching us more recently. Imagine if the best player you have ever seen play for Derby is say, Idiakez or heaven forbid Will Hughes. 

2 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Fantastic photo. Nish one of my all time favorites for Derby. He oozed class. 

Which game did all 4 start together? I'm guessing it was one of the old home internationals around 73/74

I’m probably wrong but I don’t think they ever all started an England game together. I read it as 4 England internationals in the Derby side.

7 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I’m probably wrong but I don’t think they ever all started an England game together. I read it as 4 England internationals in the Derby side.

I can remember seeing each one play for England but me old grey matter doesn't place them in the same England team so I guess you are correct Rich. Who can forget Hector v Poland. Sooooooo close to being the hero. 

5 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Only slightly Boycie...only slightly. Sigh. 

At least we have our memories of those days unlike the poor buggers who started watching us more recently. Imagine if the best player you have ever seen play for Derby is say, Idiakez or heaven forbid Will Hughes. 

My glory days  memories are from Arthur Cox and Jim Smith really.

I wasn’t taken to the match when we won the second title. ?

What might of happened if we’d not been banned from Europe when we had in theory qualified with Arthur?

Who knows.

22 minutes ago, Boycie said:

What might of happened if we’d not been banned from Europe when we had in theory qualified with Arthur?

Who knows.

Great days mate. Some time in our history that was. From Trevs penalty v Rotherham to tonking Fergie at Old Trafford.  Shame fat Bob came into the picture. Still pains me that we didn't get to play in Europe under Arthur. I've seen us at BBG in 70s under Clough and Big Dave. I saw Charlie's hatrick v Real Madrid. I'm one of the very lucky ones really and try to hang onto that. I was too young to be allowed to travel away in the 70s... 

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Who knows.

Arthur Cox was my best time. Good times. I had just left school. It all turned sour with Maxwell though.

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Fantastic photo. Nish one of my all time favorites for Derby. He oozed class. 

Which game did all 4 start together? I'm guessing it was one of the old home internationals around 73/74

Roy Mac, Toddy and Nish played v. Northern Ireland in 1973 when Joe Mercer was manager. Zac's only appearances were as subs in 1973 but against Poland and Italy - what a waste....

Archived