RamsTV Meets Charlie George

Day

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hero! :wub:

First I hated him, then I loved him, most of all I respect him. 

I love to listen to him talking about the game as his passion for football shines through. I hate to think what would have happened to him in the modern game, it's not made for characters like Charlie any more. 

Can't wait for Part Two. 

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

My hero! :wub:

First I hated him, then I loved him, most of all I respect him. 

I love to listen to him talking about the game as his passion for football shines through. I hate to think what would have happened to him in the modern game, it's not made for characters like Charlie any more. 

Can't wait for Part Two. 

He'd have romped the modern game ,angie . Just pure class, and although he was a character, I don't think he was trouble to anyone. Mind you,with the benefit of modern fitness/ training , I reckon a lot of our old favourites would still have blossomed. I would have feared for the great Alan Hinton though - tackling and tracking back,nah. Pinpoint crosses and thunderous shots though,yeah. I wonder how many potential Alans just don't make it today. Very sad.

Very hard choice, but Charlie was my hero too. Don't think he was too enamoured with the signing of Hales, though, and I thought this was the beginning of the end. I can remember one game near the end, when Charlie was out on the right (ish) and his boot had either come off, or his laces had gone. Some fool played the ball to him, and he belted  it straight back (with interest). That's when I sadly realized that the end was nigh.

Oh, but what a glorious,glorious reign.

Went and did that Emirates tour as I have mentioned on here before and spent 3 hours with Charlie, absolute legend and a real gentleman! Top funny man full of charisma and no air of fame, proper down to earth, he absolutely loved the fact myself my dad and my son were Derby fans and he loved signing the old No 10 shirt, he told more Derby related stories on the tour than he did Arsenal ! That pleased the gooners that we’re on the tour with us !

can 100% recommend doing the tour of the stadium, different gravy !

67AE227A-A17E-4B2B-B3FB-CE0E6344591C.jpeg

34AA6752-BF74-4E89-8B09-03A310269D1F.jpeg

21 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Went and did that Emirates tour as I have mentioned on here before and spent 3 hours with Charlie, absolute legend and a real gentleman! Top funny man full of charisma and no air of fame, proper down to earth, he absolutely loved the fact myself my dad and my son were Derby fans and he loved signing the old No 10 shirt, he told more Derby related stories on the tour than he did Arsenal ! That pleased the gooners that we’re on the tour with us !

can 100% recommend doing the tour of the stadium, different gravy !

67AE227A-A17E-4B2B-B3FB-CE0E6344591C.jpeg

34AA6752-BF74-4E89-8B09-03A310269D1F.jpeg

Yet again @loweman2 you have me green with envy. I used to wait for at least 2 hours outside the BBG Players' Entrance after each home game trying to get to meet CG and get his signature on my Ram Newspaper but he always "escaped" via a different exit...the chap in the "Uniform" used to say "Charlie George left hours ago..." but still I waited. Nobody epitomised the swagger and absolute joy of playing uninhibited, carefree football like Charles George esq. When he was "on song" he was unplayable, such unfettered and unstoppable craft and aplomb. I've never even seen his signature until this picture of his shirt @loweman2 and he clearly signs his name like he played football...with a swirling, cavalier, buccaneering lump of class. Derby had some absolutely brilliant 1970's footballers...really world-class talent {I don't need to name them}; Charlie George though had that little bit of on-pitch charisma though that just made you think you were watching something very special. And we were. Great pictures and lovely anecdote...so glad he talked fondly with you about his Derby days...unforgettable hero. The half-volley v Real Madrid makes me sob with pride when I see it and the excitement in Barry Davies's commentary never fails to lift every hair on the back of my neck..."Oh my word! Applause all around the ground...and he deserves it! That's as good a first-time shot as you'll ever see...!!!!". I was 10 years old at the time and remember it like it was yesterday. 

I think Charlie would have got into a spot of trouble, somone would have pictured him flicking the v's at the popside, but he'd of won them round in the end with his energetic cheek/charm, just like he easily won the popside back round after he joined us.

The magical thing would have been to see him play without getting kicked to bits, and tackled from behind, every week. He would have destroyed teams.

The very reason I support Derby.......

As a kid and coming from london everyone of my family were Arsenal and Charlie was my hero , a rebel, a great player,exciting,un predictable and scored goals.

As a kid in the playground i was always Charlie George and before school the playground would turn into whatever game was the game of the week, it was usually Arsenal or Chelsea but when Charlie went to Derby I changed immediately and followed my hero.

( it also saved me from having to take down all of the CG posters in my room lol )

Even in london Derby were a popular choice in the playground and i remember after the Madrid game everyone was talking about our Charlie.

Great honest interview and a top bloke.....there are times I think i might not have had so much heartache if he had joined a Man United or stayed at Arsenal but Derby is my team and i wouldn't change it for the world and has been since he transferred, my mates in london and kent always ask me why i support Derby and travel hundreds of miles to support them no matter what but I tell them it was because CG left the gooners and became a Ram.....Great Interview cant wait for part 2 !!! :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I remember a banner in the Ossie end which read "Jesus Saves - but Charlie nets the rebound". Pure class. :mellow:

Class, but nicked from Liverpool's original 'Jesus saves - but St John knocks in the rebound'.

6 hours ago, Saity said:

The very reason I support Derby.......

As a kid and coming from london everyone of my family were Arsenal and Charlie was my hero , a rebel, a great player,exciting,un predictable and scored goals.

As a kid in the playground i was always Charlie George and before school the playground would turn into whatever game was the game of the week, it was usually Arsenal or Chelsea but when Charlie went to Derby I changed immediately and followed my hero.

( it also saved me from having to take down all of the CG posters in my room lol )

Even in london Derby were a popular choice in the playground and i remember after the Madrid game everyone was talking about our Charlie.

Great honest interview and a top bloke.....there are times I think i might not have had so much heartache if he had joined a Man United or stayed at Arsenal but Derby is my team and i wouldn't change it for the world and has been since he transferred, my mates in london and kent always ask me why i support Derby and travel hundreds of miles to support them no matter what but I tell them it was because CG left the gooners and became a Ram.....Great Interview cant wait for part 2 !!! :thumbsup:

You would not think to look at him that he’s 67 now. Such impudent class on the field and that Umbro shirt just suited him to the ground...mind you he looked class in the vintage Arsenal shirt too. What an absolute coup Dave Mackay achieved when he signed Charlie.

And CG does not disappoint in the I/v...great enthusiasm and memory for games. And a great anecdote @Saity...I can’t imagine a single player making me ever switch allegiance from my team and then I think of Charlie George in full flight and add the caveat ....apart from Charlie George. I’ve always been an admirer of Arsenal as a sort of 2nd team and it all stems from that winning cup final goal and that celebration. Will I ever get to meet a true hero? 

Archived