RamsTV Meets Charlie George

David

I can remember Toddy selling him a massive dummy when we thrashed the Gunners 5 - 0. Charlie George was a target of hate in those days, and it got a huge cheer, but was delighted when he signed for us. And yes, what a waste of his mercurial talent for England. It seems to be a managerial trait all over the place, where managers prefer carthorses and grafters at the expense of talent, leaving the flair players on the bench till it is too late to rescue the game and then say "Go and win this one for us". Revie wasn't the only one - Ramsey did it with Toddy when he and MacFarland were the best central pairing in the country bar none, and there was the travesty of how Ramsey got it so dreadfully wrong with King Zac. And sadly we see it too often here at Derby as well.

But what a pleasure to see Charlie deliver the goods for us for that brief time.

Thanks Charlie, and thanks Dave for signing him!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only echo what all the other old farts like myself have said on here.

Absolute legend.

I reckon the 1975/76 team was even better than the 2 championship sides, I'm convinced we'd have won the double had it not been for Charlie's injury. Sadly it all went down hill from there.

2 hours ago, Roboram said:

I can only echo what all the other old farts like myself have said on here.

Absolute legend.

I reckon the 1975/76 team was even better than the 2 championship sides, I'm convinced we'd have won the double had it not been for Charlie's injury. Sadly it all went down hill from there.

Thoroughly agree. That was the classiest Derby Team of my lifetime.

Archived