RamsTV Meets Charlie George

David

17 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

You would not think to look at him that he’s 67 now. Such impudent class on the field and that Umbro shirt just suited him to the ground...mind you he looked class in the vintage Arsenal shirt too. What an absolute coup Dave Mackay achieved when he signed Charlie.

And CG does not disappoint in the I/v...great enthusiasm and memory for games. And a great anecdote @Saity...I can’t imagine a single player making me ever switch allegiance from my team and then I think of Charlie George in full flight and add the caveat ....apart from Charlie George. I’ve always been an admirer of Arsenal as a sort of 2nd team and it all stems from that winning cup final goal and that celebration. Will I ever get to meet a true hero? 

Treat yourself ! You deserve it !

https://bookings.arsenal.com/stadiumtours/booking/default.htm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Magic interview and brilliant Rams legend

one of my heroes from the 70s - (I was 7 yr old when he came to derby) - amazing that he ever left Highbury - Arsenal through and through

Immense player for Derby  - we were lucky that Dave Mac brought him up to our club - and he left London. But he'd done everything with his home town club.

Obviously John Rradford, Bob Wilson and Ray Kennedy had a big affect on him in his development

He was great at inciting the crowd also!! forgot about the Vs to the Pop Side - I don't mind a bit of that!!!

11 hours ago, superzak said:

what a great interview I love these Rams TV meets...I just hope we get Rams TV meets Kevin Hector

I sooo hope you're right.  Zigger Zagger.  My all-time favourite player.  Come on Colin.  Get it sorted, mate!

47 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Magic interview and brilliant Rams legend

one of my heroes from the 70s - (I was 7 yr old when he came to derby) - amazing that he ever left Highbury - Arsenal through and through

Immense player for Derby  - we were lucky that Dave Mac brought him up to our club - and he left London. But he'd done everything with his home town club.

Obviously John Rradford, Bob Wilson and Ray Kennedy had a big affect on him in his development

He was great at inciting the crowd also!! forgot about the Vs to the Pop Side - I don't mind a bit of that!!!

Yes and no obviously a gooner but Derby were up there with very best, football was very different then to how it is now.The likes of Liverpool Spurs ,Arsenal were very often on the wrong end of a Rams thrashing. Derby were a big draw in those days . 

He was an absolutely fantastic player who should have had England caps galore, but only played once (?) when that idiot Revie put him on the right-wing.

In the 70s England could have had a very good team, with the likes of Bowles, Currie, Hudson, Worthington, Marsh and of course Charlie, but Ramsey & Revie preferred cart horses over skill.

Charlie could turn a game with just one flash of brilliance and often did.

48 minutes ago, KCG said:

He was an absolutely fantastic player who should have had England caps galore, but only played once (?) when that idiot Revie put him on the right-wing.

In the 70s England could have had a very good team, with the likes of Bowles, Currie, Hudson, Worthington, Marsh and of course Charlie, but Ramsey & Revie preferred cart horses over skill.

Revie just picked Leeds players 

Likes of Hector, Toddy and George never got a look in and were under-utilised 

2 hours ago, KCG said:

Charlie told Revie where to shove the England shirt when he was substituted off in the England game.

Great interview and looking forward to part two.

THE best footballer ever to wear our shirt in my eyes. Bar none.

Dave's team was a genuinely great team, worth comparison with any of the other 'great' teams of the 20th century, or the 21st come to that, except in their longevity. And Charlie was the star. He could do everything - head it, pass, control, tackle; he had pace and vision, skill and workrate and, above all, that bit of cheek/self confidence/arrogance and (when the opportunity demanded) nastiness, that marked him out as a special player. (You have to remember that this was an era when the likes of David Webb and Dennis Smith with their agricultural footballing skills, were rarely booked and regularly capped. A different world, and one in which the genuinely skillful also had to compete)

When Denis Smith did him one Wednesday night our realistic dreams of the double ended; indirectly and sometime later, Dave left, and our decline began. We have never reached those heights since. What could have been.

Just as an aside, although he was the greatest footballer and Rams footballer I've ever seen there are greater Rams players - Roy and Kevin and Toddy and Archie for example - who gave greatness for longer. But Charlie was still the best footballer. 

And it's really good to see him so well.

I've absolutely loved both parts of this interview. 

Signed before I was even born, but it's lovely to be able to flesh out the legend I've read so much about, and he's pretty much exactly as I've imagined him to be.

Great work again Colin Gibson and RamsTV, keep them coming.

I doubt there will be Ramstv meets in 30 years time because I don't know why, but I don't really care about the players no more..where as the likes of Charlie and franny Toddy and Superzak were heroes and still are too this day.

23 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Great interview and looking forward to part two.

THE best footballer ever to wear our shirt in my eyes. Bar none.

Dave's team was a genuinely great team, worth comparison with any of the other 'great' teams of the 20th century, or the 21st come to that, except in their longevity. And Charlie was the star. He could do everything - head it, pass, control, tackle; he had pace and vision, skill and workrate and, above all, that bit of cheek/self confidence/arrogance and (when the opportunity demanded) nastiness, that marked him out as a special player. (You have to remember that this was an era when the likes of David Webb and Dennis Smith with their agricultural footballing skills, were rarely booked and regularly capped. A different world, and one in which the genuinely skillful also had to compete)

When Denis Smith did him one Wednesday night our realistic dreams of the double ended; indirectly and sometime later, Dave left, and our decline began. We have never reached those heights since. What could have been.

Just as an aside, although he was the greatest footballer and Rams footballer I've ever seen there are greater Rams players - Roy and Kevin and Toddy and Archie for example - who gave greatness for longer. But Charlie was still the best footballer. 

And it's really good to see him so well.

Superb account and agree unequivocally. 

Was mascot twice for Derby in the early 80's at Grimsby and had the pleasure of meeting Charlie George.If I remember correctly he'd not long chopped his finger off.

Also in the team that was Kevin Hector.Both my Dad and Grandad were made up that they'd met these two Derby greats.

Apart from the Bobby Davison disappointment I've  enjoyed the interviews with Gibbo with Shane Nicholson's I thought standing out from the rest, but this one with Charlie George made me laugh out loud when he told the story of the nurse and his shirt at Derby Hospital. Great interview and what a memory he has to recall detail to that level- very impressive. Well done Gibbo and well done Charlie , I hope you entertain people with your stories for many years to come.

14 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Was mascot twice for Derby in the early 80's at Grimsby and had the pleasure of meeting Charlie George.If I remember correctly he'd not long chopped his finger off.

Also in the team that was Kevin Hector.Both my Dad and Grandad were made up that they'd met these two Derby greats.

Wow, what a coincidence, your user name is Charlie George, would you Adam and Eve it

4 hours ago, superzak said:

I doubt there will be Ramstv meets in 30 years time because I don't know why, but I don't really care about the players no more..where as the likes of Charlie and franny Toddy and Superzak were heroes and still are too this day.

The difference in recent years is that we haven't got 11 of them all together and they are often not quite top flight. But most managers have had someone who I like to see interviewed a few years down the line. Jim Smith had Igor, Burley had Idiakez, Davies had Steve Howard and Clough had Jake Buxton. All these delivered the goods and served DCFC well.

Archived