Nigel Clough's first five signings at Derby

Bris Vegas

Who were Nigel Clough's first five signings at Derby - And where are they now?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/05/tt-nigel-cloughs-first-five-signings-for-derby-county-where-are/

A piece I wrote. No need to click the link, just a bit of trivia, and wondered whether you could guess who they are, and where they are now... 

On a side now, it's amazing how many players seem to play for Clough again. His loyalty can't be questioned, and it's evident players enjoy playing under him regardless of his potential media moments.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't looked but you can guarantee one will be Scottish and I'm going to say that is Chris Porter, was fairly early on seem to remember. It's only in my mind as I was looking him up not so long ago, signed him in January and Clough arrived in January. Might have been the year later.

Couldn't honestly say who the other 4 would be, Dean Moxey, Theo Robinson, James Bailey?

29 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Only one good signing out of his first five.. some real shockers..

Interesting how his first two January additions were forwards, and neither went on to score many goals.

Chris Martin aside, I think Clough's striker signings were quite poor. Elsewhere he did a great job in terms of recruitment.

Sith Happens

I had to look as couldnt remember, but on the budget he had I think 4 out of the 5 were ok signings.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Interesting how his first two January additions were forwards, and neither went on to score many goals.

Chris Martin aside, I think Clough's striker signings were quite poor. Elsewhere he did a great job in terms of recruitment.

I agree with you, he built a pretty good team, but he struggled offensively to bring in any talent. Still, he had a real eye for a bargain in the transfer market.

Poor striker signings off the top of my head - Tyson, Porter, Sammon, Maguire, Varney, Theo, Cywka, Doyle, Bouliding

In fairness the budget wasn't there, and for the price, players like Theo did pretty well. Sammon was another who offered something different off the bench. He caused mayhem despite being a donkey.

Tyson was the worst one of the lot. But he more than made up with that with Chris Martin.

Jamie Ward, if you want to count him as another striker, was another very good deal.

Sith Happens

I know Clough is a bit like Marmite with Derby fans, but take the starting line up in one of his last games, the win away at Millwall.

Grant

Adam Smith Keogh Buxton Forstyh

Eustace

Bryson                    Hughes

Russell              Martin             Ward

Considering the budget involved thats an excellent team.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Poor striker signings off the top of my head - Tyson, Porter, Sammon, Maguire, Varney, Theo, Cywka, Doyle, Bouliding

In fairness the budget wasn't there, and for the price, players like Theo did pretty well. Sammon was another who offered something different off the bench. He caused mayhem despite being a donkey.

Tyson was the worst one of the lot. But he more than made up with that with Chris Martin.

Jamie Ward, if you want to count him as another striker, was another very good deal.

If you consider them all bad signings, fair enough, but dare bet collectively they cost less than Butterfields right leg.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Who were Nigel Clough's first five signings at Derby - And where are they now?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/05/tt-nigel-cloughs-first-five-signings-for-derby-county-where-are/

A piece I wrote. No need to click the link, just a bit of trivia, and wondered whether you could guess who they are, and where they are now... 

On a side now, it's amazing how many players seem to play for Clough again. His loyalty can't be questioned, and it's evident players enjoy playing under him regardless of his potential media moments.

Harsh to say Varney was a Clough signing, Jewellery bought him in on loan with it being made a permanent deal once the window when it opened. 

17 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Jewel, he was part or the post prem spending spree that didn’t work.

Him n Commons were the better buys.

To be fair, for saying we went down with a record low, and didn’t get any better when we were down, almost going a full calendar year without a win, the fact that Clough kept us from back to back relegations was pretty miraculous. Teams with far more confidence than us do it all the time. Sunderland look like doing it this season, and they can’t be as bad as our 11pt team surely. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

To be fair, for saying we went down with a record low, and didn’t get any better when we were down, almost going a full calendar year without a win, the fact that Clough kept us from back to back relegations was pretty miraculous. Teams with far more confidence than us do it all the time. Sunderland look like doing it this season, and they can’t be as bad as our 11pt team surely. 

I thought most of our 11point team were replaced with the new boys? Only a few remained didn’t they?

So, Porter done in by injuries, didn't end up a good signing.

Lee Croft, basically rubbish, poor signing.

Varney, as discussed was kind of Jewell's last throw of the dice, and was basically rubbish but subsequently played PL football with Blackpool...

Moxey I thought was OK, and didn't he play PL football with Palace?

Bucko, I'd not say legend, but certainly a bit of a cult hero, especially for his down to earth nature and huge commitment and determination.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I know Clough is a bit like Marmite with Derby fans, but take the starting line up in one of his last games, the win away at Millwall.

Grant

Adam Smith Keogh Buxton Forstyh

Eustace

Bryson                    Hughes

Russell              Martin             Ward

Considering the budget involved thats an excellent team.

And yet something more was needed?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

If you consider them all bad signings, fair enough, but dare bet collectively they cost less than Butterfields right leg.

Yeah but remember Butterfields right leg is worth so much becouse he never used it?

Moxey and Buxton were fine signings - Moxey went on to play in the Prem while Bucko exceeded all expectations in terms of both skill and heart.

When you have little to spend, sometimes you have to gamble. Porter was a known injury risk but if he could stay fit he would score goals - another Steve Davies. He didn't stay fit. Varney has found his level on the Burton Albion bench. Croft was a poor buy.

It was different times and on the whole Clough had a pretty good strike rate, but was terriblle judging strikers (Martin excepted). There was the rumour it came down to a choice between spending a million for proven Premier League striker Conor Sammon or on non-league hopeful Jamie Vardy, so he obviously plumped for Sammon.

Archived