Nigel Clough's first five signings at Derby

Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I know Clough is a bit like Marmite with Derby fans, but take the starting line up in one of his last games, the win away at Millwall.

Grant

Adam Smith Keogh Buxton Forstyh

Eustace

Bryson                    Hughes

Russell              Martin             Ward

Considering the budget involved thats an excellent team.

Any chance of getting them back together??

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Who were Nigel Clough's first five signings at Derby - And where are they now?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/05/tt-nigel-cloughs-first-five-signings-for-derby-county-where-are/

A piece I wrote. No need to click the link, just a bit of trivia, and wondered whether you could guess who they are, and where they are now... 

On a side now, it's amazing how many players seem to play for Clough again. His loyalty can't be questioned, and it's evident players enjoy playing under him regardless of his potential media moments.

I enjoyed that bris?

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, David said:

Haven't looked but you can guarantee one will be Scottish and I'm going to say that is Chris Porter, was fairly early on seem to remember. It's only in my mind as I was looking him up not so long ago, signed him in January and Clough arrived in January. Might have been the year later.

Couldn't honestly say who the other 4 would be, Dean Moxey, Theo Robinson, James Bailey?

I think you'd be right with chris porter. James Bailey was signed along with Brayford as I remember in a double deal. Jake Buxton came quite soon I think. Shaun deeney? A lot of ex burton players came in. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, rynny said:

Harsh to say Varney was a Clough signing, Jewellery bought him in on loan with it being made a permanent deal once the window when it opened. 

Yes I have varney down as jewell signing altho Clough did sign him for burton. 

23 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Oh great, Bris is back writing for HITC, the most banal and tedious of all football websites , looking forward to links to more utter trash transfer talk and yawning click bait again, pfffft

I will only put opinion pieces or trivia articles up. Just ignore them if you’re not interested, as I do with most clickbait titles.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Poor striker signings off the top of my head - Tyson, Porter, Sammon, Maguire, Varney, Theo, Cywka, Doyle, Bouliding

In fairness the budget wasn't there, and for the price, players like Theo did pretty well. Sammon was another who offered something different off the bench. He caused mayhem despite being a donkey.

Tyson was the worst one of the lot. But he more than made up with that with Chris Martin.

Jamie Ward, if you want to count him as another striker, was another very good deal.

Varney was a Jewell signing 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So, Porter done in by injuries, didn't end up a good signing.

Lee Croft, basically rubbish, poor signing.

Varney, as discussed was kind of Jewell's last throw of the dice, and was basically rubbish but subsequently played PL football with Blackpool...

Moxey I thought was OK, and didn't he play PL football with Palace?

Bucko, I'd not say legend, but certainly a bit of a cult hero, especially for his down to earth nature and huge commitment and determination.

Moxey did play PL football. He was a good buy, considering we made a profit on him.

Was Varney already agreed to join permanently? I thought Clough gave it the go ahead upon his arrival. Seems strange otherwise to have a loan deal where it becomes permanent in January.

PistoldPete2
2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I will only put opinion pieces or trivia articles up. Just ignore them if you’re not interested, as I do with most clickbait titles.

This was interesting article ... Altho as I say I think Luke varney was already a done deal before Clough came. Any chance of us getting Clough back when burton get relegated ?

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

I thought most of our 11point team were replaced with the new boys? Only a few remained didn’t they?

Bywater, McEveley, Leacock, Pearson, Savage, Teale all made it well into the Clough Era. I think he extended all of their contracts too.

I do remember being impressed with some of the signings that Clough made in his tenure, especially as at the time the  American owners seemed to be (maybe understandably) v unwilling to spend much. Remember Tom Glicks, ‘a Shaun Barker sized fee’. How old does that term seem now when we spent God knows how much on Anya/Lawrence etc?

Maybe Clough wheeled and dealed and we can look back at those comparatively innocent times fondly, but the problem with Clough was not his signings, but his inability to get us in any rich vein of form.

It was alway Win 2 - Draw - Lose 2 - Win 4 - Draw - Lose 3. Repeat. Destined to an eternal 10th place position.

Remember - ‘Shteve shouldn’t be allowed near the recruitment’ - ‘He’s just a coach’?

From memory, he brought Thorne, Ince, Mascarell, Carson, Lingaard, Bamford....

How much would you like to see some of them playing for us now?

Even Pearson signed our current league top scorer and he was a **** and only here for 6 minutes.

And although they’re decrepit and we’re all sore at the them at the moment - Huddlestone, Davis and Ledley are still top championship/lower prem players.

So Gary has signed quality players overall I think - and for all that’s wrong at the moment. He doesn’t say mildly racist things about his polish forwards, keep faith in really thick backroom staff and sign a forward from Scotland and then play him twice before having a massive bust up with him and making him train with the kids...

13 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Moxey did play PL football. He was a good buy, considering we made a profit on him.

Was Varney already agreed to join permanently? I thought Clough gave it the go ahead upon his arrival. Seems strange otherwise to have a loan deal where it becomes permanent in January.

Varney was a Jewell signing.  I remember like it was yesterday watching his debut in a 1-0 loss at Charlton thinking "Well he's gonna do absolutely f00k all for us".  And sadly, I was right...

Archived