change formation

Richard246

Calling for GRs head is a little crazy but here are the things that would make it seem less crazy.

- I still can't get over Craig Bryson going.  Will Hughes I can understand.

- 2 transfer windows have ended in disappointment with him, Bryson/Kieftenbeld and then losing Martin/Russell without a replacement.

- not knowing his back 4 this late in the season. When Burnley got promoted I'm not sure they change any of their starting 11.

- when he tinkers with the back 4 he drops his full back from the entire squad.

- he has completely cocked up our first choice striker in my opinion, Nugent should be first choice, Winnall would have been second and Jerome either 3rd or still at Norwich.

- Martin should not have been allowed to leave.

- youth policy! What youth policy? Max Lowe, Elsnik, Callum Guy and Thomas could all be doing a job. In fact Thomas could be the spark we need.

- Palmer, a breath of fresh air, a clearly skillfull player and has scored 2 goals in 2 games. So Rowett puts him on the bench.. then at the end of the game questions whether Vydra was fully fit? Didn't we look better once Palmer came on.

- when the boring football gets you results then great when it doesn't my god it's awful.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We must change our formation for 3 reasons. Firstly, other teams have realised that a packed midfield nullifies our system. Secondly we don’t have the players at the club with the form or fitness to make it work, for example we simply don’t have 2 full backs who deserve selection. The last reason being our best 2 attacking players are Vydra and Palmer, in my opinion. They both prefer the same position, but we simply can’t have either sitting on the bench like yesterday. 

14 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Change manager that’s the only hope we have

Really? So you don’t think the main reason we’ve gone backwards is because we’ve had 5 managers nearly 3 seasons? You really think improvement is bring in another manager who will say the squad isn’t good enough, I need my players spend another fortune (which we may not have available to spend anyway!), get rid of all the coaching staff, and more new ideas. And if it doesn’t work in 6 months do the same again? And saying this when we’re still on track for a significantly better season than last (that’s improvement just to clarify) and have a very good chance of making the Playoffs?!

Have a word with yourself 

Changing the formation would be panicking when we’re not far away from getting some better results.

Thank god none of us our manager, as fans the amount of emotional and knee jerk decisions we would make, we’d be battling against the trap door to non-league given time

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Calling for GRs head is a little crazy but here are the things that would make it seem less crazy.

- I still can't get over Craig Bryson going.  Will Hughes I can understand.

- 2 transfer windows have ended in disappointment with him, Bryson/Kieftenbeld and then losing Martin/Russell without a replacement.

- not knowing his back 4 this late in the season. When Burnley got promoted I'm not sure they change any of their starting 11.

- when he tinkers with the back 4 he drops his full back from the entire squad.

- he has completely cocked up our first choice striker in my opinion, Nugent should be first choice, Winnall would have been second and Jerome either 3rd or still at Norwich.

- Martin should not have been allowed to leave.

- youth policy! What youth policy? Max Lowe, Elsnik, Callum Guy and Thomas could all be doing a job. In fact Thomas could be the spark we need.

- Palmer, a breath of fresh air, a clearly skillfull player and has scored 2 goals in 2 games. So Rowett puts him on the bench.. then at the end of the game questions whether Vydra was fully fit? Didn't we look better once Palmer came on.

- when the boring football gets you results then great when it doesn't my god it's awful.

Don’t agree with all of what you say but I do agree on the back 4. His tinkering with it is the main criticism you can level at him. He’s got that wrong and it’s cost us. I think the back 4 yesterday is the best we have and hope he sticks with it to the end of the season.

As for youth, he’s relied on experience this season, asking a lot to throw the youngsters in. Elsnik has really benefited from being out on Loan. I think if we do stay in the championship for next season, then Elsnik Thomas and Lowe will be integral members of the first team squad.

2 hours ago, bucktwo said:

These 

Lost our best players .

These are the players that bottled it for four seasons ? 

I agree it looks like another failed season atm but ffs wait until we can't actually get promoted before we pick the bones out . 

The style or lack of it on the pitch reflects perfectly with the toxic style ever present in the stands regardless of which team , manager or season .... 

Time for players staff and fans to show unity .

United in mediocrity. Unity is needed but not as a cover for mistakes. Rowett mucked up the transfer window badly and the limitations of his strategy on the pitch are there for all to see. Are players bottling it now ? They have lost confidence cos of Rowetts knee jerk changes in team selection - another of his failings. 

23 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Really? So you don’t think the main reason we’ve gone backwards is because we’ve had 5 managers nearly 3 seasons? You really think improvement is bring in another manager who will say the squad isn’t good enough, I need my players spend another fortune (which we may not have available to spend anyway!), get rid of all the coaching staff, and more new ideas. And if it doesn’t work in 6 months do the same again? And saying this when we’re still on track for a significantly better season than last (that’s improvement just to clarify) and have a very good chance of making the Playoffs?!

Have a word with yourself 

Don’t matter how manu managers we have sacked previously, doesn’t make this one good enough.  I would argue that it’s better to get rid before he does further damage in the next transfer window.

2 hours ago, bucktwo said:

These 

Lost our best players .

These are the players that bottled it for four seasons ? 

I agree it looks like another failed season atm but ffs wait until we can't actually get promoted before we pick the bones out . 

The style or lack of it on the pitch reflects perfectly with the toxic style ever present in the stands regardless of which team , manager or season .... 

Time for players staff and fans to show unity .

Now or at the end of the season, the end result will still be the same the manager is not good enough, my point is that a change is the only hope we have this season.

That said, I’m still hoping that he will prove me wrong.

43 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Now or at the end of the season, the end result will still be the same the manager is not good enough, my point is that a change is the only hope we have this season.

That said, I’m still hoping that he will prove me wrong.

Adam, 

Given the position Gary has put himself in,  with such limited squad options,  what could he do between now and season's end to show that he recognises the issues and is trying to address. 

All I've thought of is not to change the back 4  (unless injury) and always start palmer. 

Palmer has to start against QPR - simple as that - he can run at people and does have a pass in him!! he has the most energy and clearly at some point in his career will play at the top level

If Vydra is not fit - do not play him - CJ huffed and puffed yesterday (but what we could have done with was a Mitrovic!!)

What about Nugent and Palmer together?

Back four  - Anya for Wisdom I think - Andre was hopeless yesterday

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Adam, 

Given the position Gary has put himself in,  with such limited squad options,  what could he do between now and season's end to show that he recognises the issues and is trying to address. 

All I've thought of is not to change the back 4  (unless injury) and always start palmer. 

Putting aside that the squad is limited as the result of his transfer dealings, for me his changing of the team so many times was bizarre.  That said, I do beleive his failings are that he isn’t positive enough, his teams are not set up to put the other team under pressure until we are chasing the game.

He talked about admiring a Klopp style play, and yet we have nothing like that,  his attitude is not to lose rather than go for the win, he doesn’t make changes until it’s too late or he forced into them.  

Yesterday it was clear it was not working, what did he do at half time, nothing, I’m no manager but I guess the majority of the crowd yesterday knew before the game crainey if allowed would run the game. What did we do, we started with the slowest midfield pairing we have ever had at the club, and we didn’t change it until Thorne got injured, our other changes happened in the last 10 minutes of the game.  I could go on but I think I’ve bored you enough :-) 

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

If you pushed vydra a bit further forward to play off jerome and dropped the wide players a bit deeper then voila! 442

Don't see how it solves our issues tho. Still 2 in centre midfield to get overrun.

It's the type of 2 that's causing us issues. Having analysed and stated we needed more athleticism,  Gary rowett has served up pretty slow,  static midfielders. 

Yeah exactly, it just causes more problems imo. All our midfielders are defensive, that’s not great either way up but you can get away with it in a 4231 If the CAM comes to get the ball, which Vydra does. In a 442 though a box to box is a must, it just wouldn’t work.

On 03/03/2018 at 17:59, AdamRam said:

Couldn’t give a monkeys about the angry responses, people are living in a dream land if they beleive that GR will ever get us promoted.  We have lost our best players and replaced them with inadequate personnel.  

He Is a negative manager that will go throughout his career as a nearly man, his response to a question about bringing wisdom off because we had to many attacking players on already is him all over, why not go three at the back, do something anything different but no let’s change our RB is an attempt to get a goal and leave Nugent on the bench, because his first thought is let’s not concede again, not let’s take a gamble.

oh yes , the getting rid of the best players argument , did these best players get us promoted?

3 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

oh yes , the getting rid of the best players argument , did these best players get us promoted?

How much chance did they really have? Get real, they were miles better than this load of OAPS and never-was's.

On 03/03/2018 at 17:59, AdamRam said:

Couldn’t give a monkeys about the angry responses, people are living in a dream land if they beleive that GR will ever get us promoted.  We have lost our best players and replaced them with inadequate personnel.  

He Is a negative manager that will go throughout his career as a nearly man, his response to a question about bringing wisdom off because we had to many attacking players on already is him all over, why not go three at the back, do something anything different but no let’s change our RB is an attempt to get a goal and leave Nugent on the bench, because his first thought is let’s not concede again, not let’s take a gamble.

You and those like minded are entitled to an opinion but your opinions are unbalanced and excessively negative. Hate the atmosphere around the forum when you lot hold sway. 

10 hours ago, irobinson said:

(but what we could have done with was a Mitrovic!!)

Agreed. imagine having someone in his mould, like I don't know Chris Martin? Imagine we had someone like that in the squad....oh wait :pinch:

Archived