Steve macs legacy

archied

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Well you tell me where we would be with FFP if we hadn't sold Hughes Ince and Christie he only bought in Jerome because of the unexpected windfall of a 73,000 crowd at Old Trafford 

Well he managed to spend £7m on Lawrence didn't he? If he is that strapped you don't spend £7m on one person

22 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not trying to wind you up but what's the source for this?

I do remember that Gary Rowett said when he arrived that he thought that the squad was a bit big and he preferred to work with a smaller number. But that's different to being told he had to cut costs.

He also said that we had to be a bit less gung ho in transfers but I don't recall that he was told we had to be a selling club.

He may not have had untold riches but I don't think he's had massive constraints put on him in terms of transfers. 

True, but at the same time it was pretty evident that whatever incomings he wanted then there had to be some serious outgoings to balance it up .... And that has been the problem for him. Few of our none playing top players attracted interest at even reasonable money or as likly as not they we're happy to stay on their generous contract terms. 

Gary inherited an over manned squad that was assembled from a mishmash of Mac's old boys, Clements panic buys following injuries and Voldemort's scattergun with Mel's chequebook strategy .. Mind you at least that got us the blond  bomber  - even though he had no idea how to deploy him ! GR is doing a pretty good job at sticking them together with his own savvy additions. Yes there are some old heads there with a short lifespan but that is in part due to the pressure to get short term results. 

5 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Well you tell me where we would be with FFP if we hadn't sold Hughes Ince and Christie he only bought in Jerome because of the unexpected windfall of a 73,000 crowd at Old Trafford 

I have absolutely no idea,  and nor do you I would venture to suggest. 

I do think it's likely that, had we not sold those 2, then we wouldn't have lawrence,  huddlestone and Davies but that's only a guess. 

Pure speculation about jerome - he had a striker and he's loaned him out on terms we don't know. Was he taking this course of action for financial reasons as opposed to fancying a different striker. 

Actually I don't care for criticising Rowett. I'm just defending the ******** made up about McClaren. 

McClaren did well for Derby. Both times. I can move on. As can most people who still love his time here. It's more the haters that can't let go.

You know the guys who weren't marching on Wembley believing we'd win? The guys not celebrating the numerous 3, 4, 5 goal smashings we handed out? The guys not dancing in the rain v Brighton? The guys gutted with our recovery from the Nigel "won't put up with bottlers" Pearson era.

Yeah, those guys that have an alternate history because they think if you rate Mac it means you have to like him as a person and hate Rowett.

Those guys who went into full dummy spitting mode after we missed out on promotion  (and will be the first to do it again)

Those guys who insisted it wouldn't happen under tough Pearson, plan A-Z Clement and Rowett. 

The guys who screamed "sell all the bottlers!!" And now they're gone (4 of them to the PL) it's still happening.

6 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

How do you think he got the money for that then  Off a money tree 

So he's bordering on FFP? He sells key players. He's under tight restrictions. 

And he spends £7m on 1 player? 

And your using this as an example of good management?? 

Nah, maybe he's not as flush as Clement. But he's had room to manoeuvre. He had assets and he's brought in players that are worth a few quid both fees and wages. 

I've not got my violin out tbh. Plenty would happily swap with him. Including previous Derby managers. 

Wisdom, Huddlestone, Ledley, Lawrence, Jerome, Winnall, Davies... you think these are players for a club tightening it's purse strings? 

Well maybe compared to Clement era.

17 minutes ago, jono said:

True, but at the same time it was pretty evident that whatever incomings he wanted then there had to be some serious outgoings to balance it up .... And that has been the problem for him. Few of our none playing top players attracted interest at even reasonable money or as likly as not they we're happy to stay on their generous contract terms. 

Gary inherited an over manned squad that was assembled from a mishmash of Mac's old boys, Clements panic buys following injuries and Voldemort's scattergun with Mel's chequebook strategy .. Mind you at least that got us the blond  bomber  - even though he had no idea how to deploy him ! GR is doing a pretty good job at sticking them together with his own savvy additions. Yes there are some old heads there with a short lifespan but that is in part due to the pressure to get short term results. 

But was Gary Rowett in a worse position  (for transfer activity) than say Pears on,  who sold Jeff hendrick for a wedge and spent the proceeds on his own?

I just don't see that Gary Rowett has done anything extraordinary in this regard. 

No more Rowett discussion from me. I'll go all day on the Mac era. But how we've got onto discussing Rowett's transfer strategy is not good. 

This started with the criticism of Mac's obsession with possession (which didn't exist). And the idea that you somehow stand less chance of promotion by controlling the ball in games. (Which isn't true).

It's funny. Those suggesting "McClaren fans" have a rose tinted view of his time here are the only ones in the thread to exaggerate and make extreme statements. Saying stuff about the snow being his fault and that he'd never get us promoted. Kinda suggesting that it's those defending McClaren who exaggerate and aren't prepared to face facts. Ironic 

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

McClaren did well for Derby. Both times. I can move on. As can most people who still love his time here. It's more the haters that can't let go.

Yeah, those guys that have an alternate history because they think if you rate Mac it means you have to like him as a person and hate Rowett.

-----------------------------

This started with the criticism of Mac's obsession with possession (which didn't exist). And the idea that you somehow stand less chance of promotion by controlling the ball in games. (Which isn't true).

It's funny. Those suggesting "McClaren fans" have a rose tinted view of his time here are the only ones in the thread to exaggerate and make extreme statements. Saying stuff about the snow being his fault and that he'd never get us promoted. Kinda suggesting that it's those defending McClaren who exaggerate and aren't prepared to face facts. Ironic 

(Comments from two posts quoted)  Spot on.

People commenting on Mac 2 don't seem to allow that he also suffered from the problems that they say Rowett is suffering from i.e. the poor transfers of Clement and Pearson ( including the despatch of Martin to Fulham).

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Actually I don't care for criticising Rowett. I'm just defending the ******** made up about McClaren. 

You know the guys who weren't marching on Wembley believing we'd win? The guys not celebrating the numerous 3, 4, 5 goal smashings we handed out? The guys not dancing in the rain v Brighton? The guys gutted with our recovery from the Nigel "won't put up with bottlers" Pearson era.

Those guys who went into full dummy spitting mode after we missed out on promotion  (and will be the first to do it again)

Those guys who insisted it wouldn't happen under tough Pearson, plan A-Z Clement and Rowett. 

The guys who screamed "sell all the bottlers!!" And now they're gone (4 of them to the PL) it's still happening.

Alpha that's your trouble you can't move on u will never get over that he was sacked twice Along with Kam and Roy Mac you live in a Utopian world where Hughes and Ince are coming back and Mac gets us winning 5-0 every match Its not going to happen McLarens finished at Derby I thank him 2013-14 but lost all respect due to lying over Newcastle sacked on 25thMay starts workNewcastle June 10th coincidence I suppose  This club owes him nothing he's Ben paid millions not counting his staff Its time to move on ( sell all the bottlers its still happening ) Well last time I looked we were still in the playoffs with 36 points to play for Please don't call people who disagree haters that's just childish 

Archived