The Most Bitter Man in English Football

EulogyForEvolution

It certainly is a close run thing, but I think Arsene Wenger has got to be the most bitter man in English football right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42986662

This time he's saying that English players are the 'masters of diving'.

It seems like every time there is a headline with his name in it he is complaining about one thing or another:

Money in football - he spends more than most clubs combined but there are some clubs that can spend more than him.

Diving players - quiet as a mouse if one of his lads goes down easy, but he's straight to the press if he feels he's been wronged. This time he's getting one in early over Spurs before their game at the weekend.

Refereeing decisions - if a decision goes against him there is a conspiracy against his team. If a decision goes his way he didn't see it.

Between him and Mourinho storming out of press conferences every other week and Pep not naming enough subs because 'everyone keeps kicking my players', it's enough to really turn me off the upper ends of the game.

I have a huge amount of respect for all of them as managers, but it's hard to respect them as men. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Diving players  - He obviously has no recollection of Robert Pires. Now he was a master in the art.

Pires pretty much invented the penalty box art of deliberately kicking a defender and instantly falling over.  Fooled quite a few refs in his day. Vardy seems to be the most natural heir to Pires' throne. Dele Alli tries hard, but he is just incomparably useless at it.

He's basically hung on too long.

However, even if he comes off as a misery guts, the mythology that british players dont dive has much outlived it's relationship to reality. Money is ruining the game. Refs, however, i tend to think are equal opportunities incompetent in this country (not like the masonic conspiracy north of the border)

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

He has taken complaining to another level recently, that's for sure.

My guess is that he is mentally distancing himself from the game so stepping down at the end of the season is easier.

Yep. He's close to the end. He's having a bit of an Alec Guinness at the end of Bridge on the River Kwai moment - 'What have I done? What have I done?

His complaining about money making the major leagues less competitive and being outspent by rivals strikes as hypocritical and having a bit of a tin ear. 

Time was when clubs the size of Ipswich, Norwich, Derby, Forest, West Brom, Wolves, Leeds, Sheff Weds etc could realistically compete for major honours. Sky, the Premier League and the Champions League, with a little help from Roman, helped created a clique of clubs, the 'Big Four' of which Arsenal were one. Through enormous injections of money and branded advertising they were able to dominate through guess what? Spending power, Arsene!

It has cruely robbed the hope from the rest of the footballing world over the last 25 years and now Mr Wenger is moaning of suffering the same fate. I didn't notice him mentioning it before when it was to his/Arsenal's benefit.  Well, welcome to the club (if you'll pardon the pun!) No sympathy here...

In his defence, he's the only manager of the big four who has (previously) attempted to resist the urge to spunk obscene cash on players. His methods failed because no one else wanted to be that disciplined. Now he's playing catch-up. 

I say that, not because I'm a fan. I honestly have mixed views about him. Great footballing philosophy, but a bit of a douche when it comes to post-match comments. 

Just trying to give it a more balanced view. 

39 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

In his defence, he's the only manager of the big four who has (previously) attempted to resist the urge to spunk obscene cash on players. His methods failed because no one else wanted to be that disciplined. Now he's playing catch-up. 

I say that, not because I'm a fan. I honestly have mixed views about him. Great footballing philosophy, but a bit of a douche when it comes to post-match comments. 

Now you've gone too far. There really is no need for that sort of thing.

56 minutes ago, Ramshankered said:

big four

Are Arsenal still considered big four? I'd consider them big six. I think Spurs have over taken them now, and I can't see Arsenal catching up to the 5 teams above them for a considerable amount of time! 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Are Arsenal still considered big four? I'd consider them big six. I think Spurs have over taken them now, and I can't see Arsenal catching up to the 5 teams above them for a considerable amount of time! 

Yeh, right now I'd agree with you. I was reflecting on the last decade or so, when they were a bit more competitive. It's only really the last couple of seasons they've slipped into "big six" category. 

6 hours ago, Ramshankered said:

Good post in my opinion.

Wenger was shackled as the club paid off their new ground through.

If only some of the gems he found were defenders rather than attackers...

Archived