FindernRam

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only modern player fit to lace their boots was igor

and deano.

igor and deano are the only two.

maybe mark wright at his best.

igor, deano and mark wright at his best.

apart from that......

And maybe eranio

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Maybe just a little bit biased in places Kevin, though I agree with most of it. The ones I think are debateable are

Boulton v Carson - I don't think its close really, Carson much better

Robson v Forsyth. Robson over the present, error prone tentative Forsyth but not over the pre injury one. Clough saw him as one to replace and brought in Nish, a totally different class player to anything we have now

Hennessey v Huddlestone. Hudds for me, full England international. I know Hennessey played for Wales but he also played for Forest when they were crap

Roger Davies v Martin. They weren't similar, Davies couldn't really hold it up and play clever passes but he scored goals. Hard to call, but for comparison it would be better to compare him with Jerome maybe and the jury is out on that one

Bourne? Clough said maybe he should have stayed a pipe fitter. Nowhere near as good as Vydra or Nugent

Steve Powell. Had a lot of serious injuries so was very one paced. Wouldn't get into our current midfield in my opinion. Similar to Bradley Johnson

All of the other old team mentioned McFarland, Todd, Gemmill, Hinton and Hector were of course different class. Webster was a very good right back too, though maybe not in the class of those, nonetheless much better than we have now     

Bourne may have had his limitations, but he was good enough to come on as a sub. in the European Cup away game at Real Madrid, only to be substituted himself later in the game.  The first time, and possibly the only time(?), that this has happened for DCFC.  

11 hours ago, Dordogne_Ram said:

Ronnie Webster's class was not in doubt. He was widely regarded (ie not just in DCFC circles ) as an England international candidate, and only Alan Mullery , championed by the Southern media, was keeping him out when both were midfielders.

C37DB352-8F86-4A4D-8084-4567E79D84C8.jpeg

F9043F12-5D99-4C76-92AE-FE78BF2768C1.jpeg

13 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Using the first league champions squad from 71-72 .  Obviously other top players around that time.

My take is that played at the BBG on mud, tackles from behind, leather ball, The old team would wipe the floor with todays team.

Todd was a sweeper but I do dimly recall him playing ahead of the defence a few times maybe due to injuries. 

Alan Durban ???

Fitter definitely, technically more gifted probably not. Its a different game played on mud as opposed to a perfect grass carpet. It's not necessarily more physical as such but the fouls that were committed then would be sending off offences now. Far more protection from referees in the modern game. We play with much bigger squads now and have 3 subs instead of one. Players in the old days played with injuries which wouldn't happen today, I've heard of Kevin Hector for example hardly able to walk before a game so they give him a cortisone injection and he plays. This was commonplace then       

18 hours ago, toddy said:

Hmm......2 goals, 11 players on a team, and 45 minutes each half?

Seems very much the same game nowadays?

Not even sure current players being fitter is true, it might be a myth?

What would be described as good football back then would be crap football these days

Playing today on billard table pitches at pace probably most of the current squad but I would say Hector, Gemmill, Todd and Macfarland would run them close.

In thier day, on those pitches, with those laws, judged against their peers none of the current squad would get in, maybe Carson is the exception there.

I'm declaring a soft spot for Roger Davies - my first league game at the BBG and we beat Luton 5-0 and big Rog got all 5.  If memory serves I think he had 2 disallowed that day too.  Also my Dad bought a car off him a few years ago when he was working for a local car dealership - something Chrissy Martin or any of the current squad will never need to do.

A fair chunk of that 70's squad were full internationals when it was a lot harder to get international caps due to there being less international games and a much larger pool of players to choose from.  I know we have some current internationals but would Chris Martin get in the 1970's Scotland team? (...mind you Don Masson did so maybe).   Tom Lawrence would clearly walk into any Welsh team.  

If there was a match between the 2 sides would it be :

A)  On a manicured Pride Park with a feather weight ball and a picky ref 

B) Mud plugging on the baseball ground with a wet heavy ball and a ref who considered football a contact sport. 

:D

I wonder which would make the most interesting contest and who'd adapt best to the others rules and environment. 

Bet you Nuge and Keoggh would do alright at the BBG and Roy Mac and Alan Hinton at PP ... who else could cross the divide in either direction ?

Archived