Uncle Mel lived by the sword and now dies by it?

Half fan

To give Uncle Mel some much deserved due, he seems to have learnt from his errors.

In choosing GR, he has at last selected the right man (i.e. character) for the job which has needed to be done for years since our Wembley failure. And in removing Sam Rush he has resolved an inevitable conflict between two strong leaders, and created a supportive instead of divisive structure around GR.

But having put down the sword, our owner now faces his biggest test. The Coates family has a much better sheathed sword than his. Even if Stoke City having had two managers whilst we have had twelve is an exaggerated statistic, Stoke has the proven supportive environment for an ambitious and highly regarded manager. For GR, this fact could be over-riding and make irrelevant all other pro-DCFC considerations listed in fear on our forum.

So GR couldn't be blamed for leaving if offered the Stoke job.

If Stoke want GR, Uncle Mel faces his biggest challenge in persuading GR that his current words now count for more than his past actions.

And some on this forum might even be thinking that our owner's advocacy of the Derby Way will dissuade him from trying! Ronald Koeman could resurface at our end of the A50!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

How to build a rumour out of absolutely nothing!

Incidentally a guy looking like S Mac was scraping his car windows near PP this morning and Billy  Davies (I think) was going mad in a phone box in Duffield

Why had someone nicked his milk crate so he couldnt reach the buttons?

3 minutes ago, Half fan said:

To give Uncle Mel some much deserved due, he seems to have learnt from his errors.

In choosing GR, he has at last selected the right man (i.e. character) for the job which has needed to be done for years since our Wembley failure. And in removing Sam Rush he has resolved an inevitable conflict between two strong leaders, and created a supportive instead of divisive structure around GR.

But having put down the sword, our owner now faces his biggest test. The Coates family has a much better sheathed sword than his. Even if Stoke City having had two managers whilst we have had twelve is an exaggerated statistic, Stoke has the proven supportive environment for an ambitious and highly regarded manager. For GR, this fact could be over-riding and make irrelevant all other pro-DCFC considerations listed in fear on our forum.

So GR couldn't be blamed for leaving if offered the Stoke job.

If Stoke want GR, Uncle Mel faces his biggest challenge in persuading GR that his current words now count for more than his past actions.

And some on this forum might even be thinking that our owner's advocacy of the Derby Way will dissuade him from trying! Ronald Koeman could resurface at our end of the A50!

A good evaluation of the situation apart from the last sentence about Ronald Koeman. Unless you mean the A50 is in need of repair and Koeman is pretty handy at tarmacing. 

15 minutes ago, Half fan said:

To be fair, regardless of current league position, I still feel Derby remain a ‘bigger’ club than Stoke and offer a much better prospect for an ambitious young manager than a Stoke side fighting relegation, which could easily ruin a young coach’s career.

Having said that, I can’t wrap my head around the idea that Koeman would come down to the championship. No chance. 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Well A personal viewpoint but I don’t believe ‘uncle Mel’ has actually done anything wrong since he took over but I would accept that he has allowed a his support to be mis- used 

Completely agree with this. People thought he appeared trigger happy with Mac, Clement, Pearson, and Mac II gone in quick succession but based on what I’ve heard, every single one was the right choice.

If anything, he may have trusted the managers a bit too much in certain signings but I think with one or two exceptions, that has also been blown out of proportion - the only one I feel has had no contribution is Blackman.

hi all

I think Gary will stay because:

(a) he can use the interest to ask for a longer/better contract NOW rather than after a possible promotion, therefore financially his a*** is covered - even if Mel threw his toys out of the pram in future he'd have to pay Gary off in full

(b) if he goes to Stoke and they go down and we go up then he's no better off, possibly worse 

(c) he can also get the funds to add players if necessary & send some out on loan both now and in the summer on the basis that Mel will want to go up and stay up and not be a yoyo team like so many that we often compete against in the lower Prem/upper C'ship

(d) Having played here he knows what Derby fans are like, can cope with the flak and has got results with a minimum of fuss 

(e) we almost got a replay against a full strength Man U side, thus proving that we have nothing to fear in the PL even with this squad as it stands

(f) we are bigger than Stoke all things considered (top leagues won, cups won, seasons in the top flight, European football, average home gate, away support etc)

(f) he can still do the school run if he stays here LOL

If it was a top 10 PL club then I could see the logic of that, I'd feel rather proud actually and say 'good on yer, go for it mate', but Stoke?  They have had their little run and it's their turn in the C'ship now and it's our turn to be in the top echelons for a while.

COYR!!!

LR2

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Why had someone nicked his milk crate so he couldnt reach the buttons?

Hmmm.

Phone boxes are only used for one thing now - if you are caught short - and BD is certainly short - often described as a 'wee man', which brings us back to phone boxes again.

I cannot fault your logic.

1 minute ago, Moist One said:

why do people think Stoke provide a great working environment? Hughes has hardly been supported with finances over the years, shopping in the bargain bins for top-club cast-offs.

Didn't he spend £18m on Kevin Wimmer?

and Berahino for £12m?

And Imbula from Porto for £18m?

He hasn't had a great track record in terms of signing, but I think he's been given money to spend. 

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

and Berahino for £12m?

He hasn't had a great track record in terms of signing, but I think he's been given money to spend. 

pocket change in the Prem,. Bournemouth are paying up those kind of fees for unproven players like Ibe.

42 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

and Berahino for £12m?

Scary stuff, puts Huddlestone £2 million and Davies £500,000 ledley free signing into perspective ! 

Archived