Gary Rowett says Tweaks in January

Curtains

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

With respect Sir, I disagree.

What's happened to the "work in progress", "let's wait for Gary to bring in his own players", "he's only had 2 windows" etc.

So what's the plan now? Are we now a "finished product". Have we swapped cultured Mac-ball where we play pretty, top-6-it but fail to break bus-parkers down to Rowett-ball hoof! where we hit it long and hard and errrmmm fail to break bus-parkers down but get into the errrmmm top 6.

So the plan now is get promoted then start playing pretty football or carry on with kick n rush?! 

Seems as if this say-one-thing one day but say another thing another day is the new Derby way? It's good to be consistently inconsistent; or is that inconsistently consistent? 

:mellow:

Ella, both the bolded statements aren't fair. The football isn't as fluid as Mac 1 but its not currently as you suggest. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Ella, both the bolded statements aren't fair. The football isn't as fluid as Mac 1 but its not currently as you suggest. 

I would say that prior to the last couple of games,the football has been pretty much as Ella suggested....the last game looked altogether more fluent than any I've seen this year....

McClaren's football is very very overrated on here. Yes it was good to watch at times but people only remember certain games due to nostalgic reasons. It was ever so boring watching his teams passing side to side then passing backwards when coming against an organised team. We only really tended to win heavily when teams came to attack us, which left lots of gaps in behind the opposition defence. Under Rowett, whenever we have played open teams like that, we have tended to batter them, namely the 5-0 against Hull and 4-2 victory against Fulham last season

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I would say that prior to the last couple of games,the football has been pretty much as Ella suggested....the last game looked altogether more fluent than any I've seen this year....

Oooh I wonder who played up front that game?

Can't have been that slow donkey? :D

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I’d say our football now’s closer to Wassall.

There doesn’t appear to be too much coaching or specific patterns of play. It’s just sort of; “you, you and you do a job whilst you four do whatever the **** you like” with a general philosophy of “try and play football, play from the back but try and hit runs if you see one”. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

With respect Sir, I disagree.

What's happened to the "work in progress", "let's wait for Gary to bring in his own players", "he's only had 2 windows" etc.

So what's the plan now? Are we now a "finished product". Have we swapped cultured Mac-ball where we play pretty, top-6-it but fail to break bus-parkers down to Rowett-ball hoof! where we hit it long and hard and errrmmm fail to break bus-parkers down but get into the errrmmm top 6.

So the plan now is get promoted then start playing pretty football or carry on with kick n rush?! 

Seems as if this say-one-thing one day but say another thing another day is the new Derby way? It's good to be consistently inconsistent; or is that inconsistently consistent? 

:mellow:

I thought he's only had one transfer window so far??

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

McClaren's football is very very overrated on here. Yes it was good to watch at times but people only remember certain games due to nostalgic reasons. It was ever so boring watching his teams passing side to side then passing backwards when coming against an organised team. We only really tended to win heavily when teams came to attack us, which left lots of gaps in behind the opposition defence. Under Rowett, whenever we have played open teams like that, we have tended to batter them, namely the 5-0 against Hull and 4-2 victory against Fulham last season

That is literally just football... that’s what you have to do to break a team down, that’s what happens when you play against packed defenses...

5 hours ago, Papahet said:

Sold Hendrick, Christie, Albentosa, Hughes and Ince for presumably near 30  million quid and not got a pot to piss in..HA

Just checked Transfermarket.com and figures are as follows:

Season 2016/2017–Spent £15.54m on new players and raised £14.63m in outgoing players.

Season 2017/2018,so far:-Spent £9.51m on new players and raised £18.90m on outgoing players.

That’s a net profit of £8.48m which I should imagine goes towards wages and running costs.From my point of view,that’s extremely good financial management and it should be helped by the expiry of contracts for Shackell,Bent,Roos and Baird next June.As for Thorne and Russell ‘s ,we’ll have to see!

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Correct. With Martin & Thorne we looked like a "football" team with control and passing and fluidity. But it was the exception in our season thus far. Can anyone say if this is to become the "norm" or will the quick ball into the channels and chase after it become de rigeur?

Like I say, what's the plan? 

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

With Martin & Thorne we looked like a "football" team with control and passing and fluidity.

But we only faced Burton and didn't exactly rip them to pieces. Watch the top teams anywhere and the quick ball in the channel is what frightens defences-and its better to watch.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

So what's the difference between what we did when teams parked the bus and what anyone else does when teams park the bus.

If a team doesn't want to attack then it's the same as if a boxer doesn't want to attack. You have to work openings.

We lost 1-0 to Ipswich and played a lot of sideways passes this season. Can't really be helped. Always under Mac we used the full width. Sometimes it didn't work as is the case for anyone

We battered most teams that attacked us. Wolves, Forest, Fulham, Brighton in the second leg. Numerous 4/5 goal games in the 2 seasons to go with our record points tally

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Exactly. Anyone can play attacking exciting football if they dont defend or have no idea how to organise defensively. Mcclaren was a loser. We’ve gone over this ad nauseam. Rowett needs to up the entertainment and flow for sure but he’s built a good foundation and is outfoxing most managers. 

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Exactly. Anyone can play attacking exciting football if they dont defend or have no idea how to organise defensively. Mcclaren was a loser. We’ve gone over this ad nauseam. Rowett needs to up the entertainment and flow for sure but he’s built a good foundation and is outfoxing most managers. 

Outfoxing?

He outfoxes himself half the time

16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

How many goals dis we concede under McClaren in the Wembley season?

How many in the next season before Eustace got injured.

Pretty sure we were in the top 6 of not the top 3 meanest defences in the division.

Pesky facts.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

That is literally just football... that’s what you have to do to break a team down, that’s what happens when you play against packed defenses...

So passing side to side and backwards when against teams who play defensive is entertaining and successful? No wonder we didn't get promoted under him. Look we had some brilliant moments under him but I'm fed up of reading views like he was the messiah because of his "great football", we have played some good football at times under Rowett too but at least we get it to the front man quicker than we did under McClaren. What got us to Wembley under McClaren was our ability to grind out results in that Wembley season. Of course people remember results such as the 5-0 against forest but there were far many moments under McClaren where we had to grind out results. Many suggest that we played great football all the time under him when the reality was we played the same in many moments as we have under Rowett.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

But we only faced Burton and didn't exactly rip them to pieces. Watch the top teams anywhere and the quick ball in the channel is what frightens defences-and its better to watch.

Couldn't agree more just watch Wolves 

Archived