Gary Rowett says Tweaks in January

Curtains

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Clubs only want your better players - apart from Sheffield Wednesday taking Butterfield which still makes me chuckle but unfortunately I am sure he will be back in May 

Wednesday fans don't seem to think too much of Butterfield so he probably won't be there next season:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/263476-butterfield/?page=1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David said:

As it’s been said already, quarter of a season 12 games played between those quotes, we have gone from 15th in the table and 5pts outside the top 6, to 6th and a 2pts away from 3rd, 3pts from 7th.

Possibly frustrated by the collapse of the Kieftenbeld transfer 27 days prior, Ledley has since gone from being a temporary stop gap to a long term signing having proved himself. 

Clearly the situation has changed between these quotes as it does quite often in football. 

If anything this is a positive for the club that January is no longer a month where we need to go big and pay the inflated fees.

Outgoings are still obviously a priority given the size of the squad and players that are not involved currently.

Would be surprised if anyone thinks this should be a big window now given our position in the table. 

I will admit I am still on the fence with Rowett, can see what improvements he has made and where he can improve.

This is one of those no win scenarios with some fans, where if he sticks to this will be a big window then it is a case of not adapting and changing his plan to represent where the team and squad are and how they are doing, or if he does as he has, then he has changed his mind and has back tracked and said one thing and done another.

13 minutes ago, rynny said:

I will admit I am still on the fence with Rowett, can see what improvements he has made and where he can improve.

This is one of those no win scenarios with some fans, where if he sticks to this will be a big window then it is a case of not adapting and changing his plan to represent where the team and squad are and how they are doing, or if he does as he has, then he has changed his mind and has back tracked and said one thing and done another.

There is a win scenario, that’s to ignore the criticism from those that hold a manager to every single word months later and carry out the job to the best of his ability and hopefully succeed.

You would be able to pull quotes from every single manager that has said something different a couple months later, football never stands still, what was said then is no longer relevant.

Injuries, suspensions, players happiness, agents, other clubs interest, other players signing new deals, no longer interested in moving, need I go on?....

There is no script in football, this is no Eastenders, managers must prepare, react, adapt to the ever changing situations that are thrown their way, not fear to live by words said in a press conference weeks ago.

All this could change again if offers come in that are too good to refuse in January.

11 minutes ago, David said:

There is a win scenario, that’s to ignore the criticism from those that hold a manager to every single word months later and carry out the job to the best of his ability and hopefully succeed.

You would be able to pull quotes from every single manager that has said something different a couple months later, football never stands still, what was said then is no longer relevant.

Injuries, suspensions, players happiness, agents, other clubs interest, other players signing new deals, no longer interested in moving, need I go on?....

There is no script in football, this is no Eastenders, managers must prepare, react, adapt to the ever changing situations that are thrown their way, not fear to live by words said in a press conference weeks ago.

All this could change again if offers come in that are too good to refuse in January.

Erm, that's what I was saying :lol:

Obviously he is going to ignore them, I just meant he would get criticised either way by some of our fans, no matter what he said.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Why still on the fence mate ! 

PS Is that Eddie Lewis on your logo I’m mystified lol because I know it’s a later  Derby shirt. 

Bisgaard ? 

Truth is I don’t know .

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

Why still on the fence mate ! 

PS Is that Eddie Lewis on your logo I’m mystified lol because I know it’s a later  Derby shirt. 

Bisgaard ? 

Truth is I don’t know .

I am behind him and hope that he succeeds but I am not convinced, yet, that he is the man to take us up and keep us there.

Picture is Pierre Ducrocq :)

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

I am behind him and hope that he succeeds but I am not convinced, yet, that he is the man to take us up and keep us there.

Picture is Pierre Ducrocq :)

I don’t think any of us know if he can do it for sure but he is IMO doing the ground work with a long way to go. 

I just like the guy and I’m not apologising for that. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

I don’t think any of us know if he can do it for sure but he is IMO doing the ground work with a long way to go. 

I just like the guy and I’m not apologising for that. 

Like I said, I can see what he is trying to do, and can appreciate the good work he has done but I am not convinced it will work long term.

I don't want, or even expect, you to apologise. I can see why he is so likeable, I enjoy his interviews, he is very honest, normally says similar to what I have thought, it is just get that to transgress on to the pitch. I am not going to knock the results, they have been very good for the most part. I hop he can continue in improving the team and we continue to push up the league. 

At the end of the day we want the same thing, Derby to win, it is just how we get there where people have different ideas, and wishes.

38 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

What is our available budget?

Well...we had to loan Bryson out to try and buy Kieftenbald for £300k who I presume would be on a lower wage, so...

Next to nowt until we sell or loan people. 

In the summer however we will have a lot more room to manoeuvre.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Sold Hendrick, Christie, Albentosa, Hughes and Ince for presumably near 30  million quid and not got a pot to piss in..HA

Still got way too many players (citing 25 fit first teamers at the moment) and guys with big wages who we're unlikely to see a return on. I'm sure we could spend big if we wanted to, but seems sensible to be restrained for now.

I think tweaks in Jan is probably the best approach. If we get the chance to add more quality then great if not it puts faith in the squad we do have.

I'd say outgoings are more important at this stage.

Best summer is the bigger window for me. We'll either be buying for the prem or buying to get into the prem. Doesn't make sense to go all out in Jan, it's risky and expensive and we need to learn lessons!

Gary IMO is spot on with his players out before players in approach. We already have too many players, im sure it’s challenging enough to try and keep everybody happy at the minute. If we bring in another players it’s goinf to resign another player to not even making that match Day squad and it could just upset the balanace. 

Were in a pretty good position at the minute, everybody these days wants to sign new players, but we shouldn’t just sign for the sake of it. What new players would you say we actually NEEDED?

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Sold Hendrick, Christie, Albentosa, Hughes and Ince for presumably near 30  million quid and not got a pot to piss in..HA

I don't think its a question of that. I think that the last few windows demonstrate that the money is there to spend and Mel seems happy to back. I think this is more due to some poor big money outlays that have failed to represent anything close to value for money and, more pertinently, FFP which I know we are not a million miles away from falling foul of so we aren't in a position to buy before we sell.

We do have one of the largest wage budgets in the division and have done for quite some time. It's just that several of the highest earners (Shackell, Martin, Johnson) are not regular starters.

5 hours ago, David said:

With respect Sir, I disagree.

What's happened to the "work in progress", "let's wait for Gary to bring in his own players", "he's only had 2 windows" etc.

So what's the plan now? Are we now a "finished product". Have we swapped cultured Mac-ball where we play pretty, top-6-it but fail to break bus-parkers down to Rowett-ball hoof! where we hit it long and hard and errrmmm fail to break bus-parkers down but get into the errrmmm top 6.

So the plan now is get promoted then start playing pretty football or carry on with kick n rush?! 

Seems as if this say-one-thing one day but say another thing another day is the new Derby way? It's good to be consistently inconsistent; or is that inconsistently consistent? 

:mellow:

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

With respect Sir, I disagree.

What's happened to the "work in progress", "let's wait for Gary to bring in his own players", "he's only had 2 windows" etc.

So what's the plan now? Are we now a "finished product". Have we swapped cultured Mac-ball where we play pretty, top-6-it but fail to break bus-parkers down to Rowett-ball hoof! where we hit it long and hard and errrmmm fail to break bus-parkers down but get into the errrmmm top 6.

So the plan now is get promoted then start playing pretty football or carry on with kick n rush?! 

Seems as if this say-one-thing one day but say another thing another day is the new Derby way? It's good to be consistently inconsistent; or is that inconsistently consistent? 

:mellow:

I don't think we failed to break down too many bus parkers. Mac in the Wembley season showed top 2 form and we were top 2 until the injuries to Eustace and Martin killed our season.

Archived