Gary Rowett says Tweaks in January

Curtains

20 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

We’re all saying he was pretty good here. You’re arguing against that. If you’re not trying to say he’s poor then why don’t you just agree with what everybody is saying and cut the crap. 

You’re basically discrediting Maccas style and impressive win percentage here down to the fact that other teams let us do that. Load of bum cum! 

Not seen one amazing football comment either. Again, a couple more over the top comments from someone who’s putting the football down... not the other way around. Add that to messiah and all the other buzz words you keep throwing in, nobody else is. 

He did a good job here. Ella fella and Kash are criticising Rowett's style due to it not being as "fluid as McClaren's" just to criticise Rowett when I'm saying that it wasn't fluid a lot of the time. A lot of those victories we, we had   to grind our victories. Against Sheffield Wednesday away we were poor but we managed to grind out the win as we did against Brighton away in the play offs. McClaren was not always free flowing so why are people criticising Rowett?

It's not just this thread but people compare Rowett with McClaren. Why? What's the need? Rowett's team is completely different to McClaren's with different players. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not as amazing as who said? 

So your complaint is that we struggled to break down teams and score lots of goals when they parked the bus? 

Well Yeah, it's a pretty **** parked bus when you can pass through it. I'll remind you of this when an elite team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern or Man City are passing sideways against a team that cost just a fraction of their price. I'll ask you why they're passing sideways and backwards.

I'm guessing Chelsea are doing similar against West Ham? 

We scored over 80 goals in each season. Scoring more than 3 on many many occasions. 

"At least Rowett tries to get players forward".. have a think about that. The full back was Craig Forsyth as it is now. The other was Cyrus Christie and Andre Wisdom. So you don't recall Christie getting forward no?

We played with 1 DM. We now play with 2. 

We're now a counter attacking team. We were nothing like that back then.

You complain about comparisons but you're the one making them. You complain his football is overrated and then call it "great" at times. And you credit Simpson. But Rowett's staff just put out cones?

Over 80 goals in each season. +60GD over the two. 6 in the play offs. But the football was dull in general, yes?

Yeah, nostalgia is a wonderful thing. Selective memory isn't bad either. 

I'm sure when Man City lost and Barca drew over the last week that the approx 800 passes they made each were all forwards? Well, I suppose the gap between them and their opponents is much tighter than your Derby v Bournemouth in 2015.

Most elite teams face teams parking the bus but they have a clear idea of how to break them down. We had to in that championship season. A lot of people point out the heavy victories but can it not be argued that they allowed us to get more goals due to how open some teams were? Let's remember, people didn't show much respect to us and we exploited that up until Wembley. The one team who did show us respect(QPR) ended up keeping a clean sheet with an aging defence and midfield. 

I enjoyed McClaren's football when teams came out and attacked because it meant they were open on the counter attack for the likes of Thorne and Hughes  to pick out but when we played against teams who sat back, it was a lot of backwards passing, especially when thorne was missing. The top teams move to ball quickly whereas there were many games where we simply ran out of ideas and passed it for passing sake. That isn't entertaining in my eyes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But in general Rowett's football isn't as fluid as McClaren's. It's quicker, more direct, less accurate. That doesn't mean we haven't knocked it about a bit. It doesn't mean we didn't play similar stuff to Rowett under McClaren at times.

But in general they're nothing alike. Not the way they press, the way they move the ball, the angles they create.

You're criticising people making comparisons and then doing it yourself. You've used the words "great" and "messiah"

Your second point.

We had a clear idea of how to break them down. And we did it over 80 times each season.

You seem to be implying teams let us win? Did Hull let Rowett win? If we are going to discount all high scoring victories for Mac then let's do the same for Rowett.

You say teams didn't show us respect in the first season? Only QPR??!! We scored more goals in the second season. 

And when teams sat back and we couldn't break them down... the elite teams move the ball quickly. Yeah, so did we. But not 800 times like Barcelona did last week and Man City did in midweek against teams vastly inferior to them. I'm assuming both won? 

No. They didn't because you can't win every game. Ask Chelsea who just lost to West Ham with loads of possession and near on 800 passes again.

When a team sits in what do you suggest? Giving them the ball. Common sense tells you that if a team has 10 men on the goal line then you're going to be passing sideways a lot. Unless you hoof it at the box. 

The quality gap between Derby and Cardiff is a lot tighter than Chelsea and West Ham. If they cant break down every team then how can Derby? 

It's funny that most the games were dull but attendances shot up, the atmosphere improved, we set several records and were quite well praised by numerous media and TV. 

There's only 1 bloke that's come here and passed for passing sake. That's faced teams not sat deep and still insisted on possession being key. That's Clement. The man that came here with a formation for every problem and a plan A-Z. A man that should know how to break teams down having witnessed it for these elite clubs that move the ball so much quicker....800 times per match

50 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He did a good job here. Ella fella and Kash are criticising Rowett's style due to it not being as "fluid as McClaren's" just to criticise Rowett when I'm saying that it wasn't fluid a lot of the time. A lot of those victories we, we had   to grind our victories. Against Sheffield Wednesday away we were poor but we managed to grind out the win as we did against Brighton away in the play offs. McClaren was not always free flowing so why are people criticising Rowett?

It's not just this thread but people compare Rowett with McClaren. Why? What's the need? Rowett's team is completely different to McClaren's with different players. 

I don't see the need to compare to him either tbh but they're not wrong in what they're saying. It's just a pointless comparison because, like you say, we're going in a completely different direction with a pretty much new squad.

We were more fluid back then, I struggle to think of a game this year we can be described as fluid. Our best wins this season have been clinical in Hull and Boro, we didn't pass either team off the park that day or even try to. GR obviously doesn't see that as a strength which is fair enough, he'll go his own way. Some people want the football to be better which is fair IMO, the only time they've got to compare it to is probably that spell under Mac so thats why they go there. I think the flip side is that SM had to grind out some results whilst mainly playing well and winning. So far under GR we're grinding most results out and playing well in few. 

For me it's not a case of being fluid or all out attack, I'd just like to see us use the ball a tad better. We're very wasteful in possession and because of this we're defending for longer periods and not attacking which is the best bit about this sport! There's no reason why GR shouldn't improve this aspect over the season. 

Archived